Old January 24th 05, 03:47 AM
running dogg

Default 31m is dead-Monday Jan 24 0300

Has anybody noticed that 31m seems to be rather dead tonight local time
in the Americas? I noticed that BBC on 9525 is practically nonexistent
while 5975 is loud and clear. Radio Havana on 9820 is also dead while
6000 is about average. Lots of QRM around 6000, about 3 different
stations trying to outshout each other within 5 khz of each other
turning the area into mud.

Old January 24th 05, 07:36 AM
Kachina 78

Not a good night here either. Right now (0710utc) I am trying to pull something
out of the hash, on 9580khz. The only thing coming in good tonight, is a
North-South path. Chile, Voz Cristiana, Santiago, on 9780khz; and Brazil, Radio
Itatiaia, Belo Horizonte, on 5970khz at 0730utc. I can't even hear WWV on 2.5,
5, or 10khz. Good DXing to you. Gary, Illinois USA.
Old January 24th 05, 04:16 PM
bpnjensen

For me last night (0500 - 0630) in California, everything from 6.1 MHz
up was about shot. Even RN Bonair on 6165 was weak. Below that,
though, things were pretty good. R. Rebelde on 5025 was as good as
I've *ever* heard it, and the 5020.25 Peruvian 5-kW station was clear.
WWV on 5000 was pounding in 20 over solid. A Spanish-speaking station
on 5005 (Eq. Guinea?) was not too bad either. Tropicals below 5 MHz
were not so hot, for some reason.

Bruce Jensen

Old January 24th 05, 06:07 PM
elg110254

This winter's propogation has been more miss than hit, even when compared to
low sunspot cycles of past years. Heard a ham on one of the 80 meter nets last
week complain that these continually poor propogation conditions have been the
worst he'd ever experienced this deep into winter. He'd never seen long
path/short path skip so uneven in distribution, or absolute in fadeouts! Even
the pathways are wierd. Last week, B.B.C.'s Singapore & Sackville relays were
non-existent; Radio Australia barely rising above the thresh-hold, but Radio
Netherland's Madagascar relay was booming in. At least until 1400 G.M.T. when
it too faded into oblivion!!!
Old January 24th 05, 06:11 PM
dxAce

elg110254 wrote:

This winter's propogation has been more miss than hit, even when compared to
low sunspot cycles of past years. Heard a ham on one of the 80 meter nets last
week complain that these continually poor propogation conditions have been the
worst he'd ever experienced this deep into winter. He'd never seen long
path/short path skip so uneven in distribution, or absolute in fadeouts! Even
the pathways are wierd. Last week, B.B.C.'s Singapore & Sackville relays were
non-existent; Radio Australia barely rising above the thresh-hold, but Radio
Netherland's Madagascar relay was booming in. At least until 1400 G.M.T. when
it too faded into oblivion!!!

That fellow obviously hasn't been around long enough, either that or he just
wasn't paying much attention.

Still plenty of dx out there, you just have to seek it out, same as always.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 24th 05, 07:06 PM
Mark Zenier

In article . com,
bpnjensen wrote:
For me last night (0500 - 0630) in California, everything from 6.1 MHz
up was about shot. Even RN Bonair on 6165 was weak. Below that,
though, things were pretty good. R. Rebelde on 5025 was as good as
I've *ever* heard it, and the 5020.25 Peruvian 5-kW station was clear.
WWV on 5000 was pounding in 20 over solid. A Spanish-speaking station
on 5005 (Eq. Guinea?) was not too bad either. Tropicals below 5 MHz
were not so hot, for some reason.

Interesting. Up here in Seattle, RNZI was booming in on 15720 about
4:00. Faded out later, though. But the Australians were good on all
four 15 MHz frequenices for quite a while.

I havn't heard Radio Havana on 9820 since that hurricane, only on
6005 and 9550.

This morning (1/24 at 15:00+) was interesting. Radio Australia
on 5995 was 30 dB over S9, and the higher bands were full of
what I assume were various South Asian stations. But the BBC
on 7160, 6195, and 9740 wasn't there. But was on 12095 from who
knows where.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old January 25th 05, 02:15 AM
running dogg

elg110254 wrote:

This winter's propogation has been more miss than hit, even when compared to
low sunspot cycles of past years. Heard a ham on one of the 80 meter nets last
week complain that these continually poor propogation conditions have been the
worst he'd ever experienced this deep into winter. He'd never seen long
path/short path skip so uneven in distribution, or absolute in fadeouts! Even
the pathways are wierd. Last week, B.B.C.'s Singapore & Sackville relays were
non-existent; Radio Australia barely rising above the thresh-hold, but Radio
Netherland's Madagascar relay was booming in. At least until 1400 G.M.T. when
it too faded into oblivion!!!

31m still has same poor propagation tonight, 0200 Jan 25. Tonight I
noted a loud heterodyne floating around 6000 khz, probably as a result
of so many strong signals in such a tight space. I can hear Cuba under
it if I use USB, but audibility is poor. Along with the interference
with the BBC on 9525 (when the BBC is there, last couple nights it
hasn't been). I haven't done any serious DXing this season because of
the conditions. I'm sure I could log some unusual stuff if only I had a
proper antenna setup.

Old January 25th 05, 04:21 PM
bpnjensen

Running Dogg writ:

31m still has same poor propagation tonight, 0200 Jan 25. Tonight I

noted a loud heterodyne floating around 6000 khz, probably as a result
of so many strong signals in such a tight space. I can hear Cuba under
it if I use USB, but audibility is poor. Along with the interference
with the BBC on 9525 (when the BBC is there, last couple nights it
hasn't been). I haven't done any serious DXing this season because of
the conditions. I'm sure I could log some unusual stuff if only I had a
proper antenna setup.

Same here, 41m and up was a total disaster early AM Jan 25 in
California. Just about the blankest dial I've ever seen - only two
stations on 31m, zipp on 25. After awhile (around 0600), even WWV and
R. Rebelde on 5000 and 5025 respectively got really squishy and
weak...and these usually set the standard around here local evenings.

Quite a bit better at 1400z though, with good results up through 31m,
although 25 still pretty weak. When will it end?

I did try my new antenna (60 foot random wire, 20 foot downlead, 10:1
matching transformer and 25-foot coax lead-in) though, and it is pretty
quiet. The best antenna ever on my crystal (diode) set - I'd have
stations all over the place if they weren't buried under that 50kW mess
2 miles south of me in Hayward, CA. Guess I need a second stage.
Bruce Jensen

Old January 27th 05, 02:36 AM
running dogg

Mark Zenier wrote:

In article . com,
bpnjensen wrote:
For me last night (0500 - 0630) in California, everything from 6.1 MHz
up was about shot. Even RN Bonair on 6165 was weak. Below that,
though, things were pretty good. R. Rebelde on 5025 was as good as
I've *ever* heard it, and the 5020.25 Peruvian 5-kW station was clear.
WWV on 5000 was pounding in 20 over solid. A Spanish-speaking station
on 5005 (Eq. Guinea?) was not too bad either. Tropicals below 5 MHz
were not so hot, for some reason.

Interesting. Up here in Seattle, RNZI was booming in on 15720 about
4:00. Faded out later, though. But the Australians were good on all
four 15 MHz frequenices for quite a while.

I havn't heard Radio Havana on 9820 since that hurricane, only on
6005 and 9550.

That's strange, since they're there, albeit with what seems to be
reduced power. Tonight, at 0200 Jan 27, the signal was definitely there,
but only popping above the noise threshold occasionally. That weird
heterodyne like noise is still there on 6000. I can null it with USB
mode and hear Havana underneath it, but only weakly.

This morning (1/24 at 15:00+) was interesting. Radio Australia
on 5995 was 30 dB over S9, and the higher bands were full of
what I assume were various South Asian stations. But the BBC
on 7160, 6195, and 9740 wasn't there. But was on 12095 from who
knows where.

Now that is weird. I've also noticed that the 9525 frequency usually
used from 0200-0400 is going off at 0300. Apparently they've shifted its
schedule up one hour. I haven't checked to see if 6135 is now signing on
at 0300. Passport says that 12095 at 1500 is to Europe from "various
locations", probably Rampisham at this hour.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old January 27th 05, 06:31 PM
Mark Zenier

In article , running dogg wrote:
Mark Zenier wrote:

In article . com,
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

Here's some lines from the VT-Merlin schedule that Mike Terry posted
back as the start of the B04 schedule. These, at least the 6010, are
DRM. Or is could be jamming from South Florida.

6005 0300 0330 ......s MNO Rampisham 500 300 English N AM
6010 0000 0100 smtwtfs BBC Sackville 250 268 English N AM
6010 0400 0500 smtwtfs BBC Sackville 250 268 English N AM

This morning (1/24 at 15:00+) was interesting. Radio Australia
on 5995 was 30 dB over S9, and the higher bands were full of
what I assume were various South Asian stations. But the BBC
on 7160, 6195, and 9740 wasn't there. But was on 12095 from who
knows where.

Now that is weird. I've also noticed that the 9525 frequency usually
used from 0200-0400 is going off at 0300. Apparently they've shifted its
schedule up one hour.

No, I daily check these. 9525 is from 01:00 until 04:00 but fades out
here about 02:15. 6135 starts at 04:00 to 06:00 but is fading out about
05:30.

I haven't checked to see if 6135 is now signing on
at 0300. Passport says that 12095 at 1500 is to Europe from "various
locations", probably Rampisham at this hour.

Lets grep that file (that I'd forgotten about) again.
12095 0700 1700 smtwtfs BBC Woofferton 250 140 English EUR
12095 1500 1600 smtwtfs BBC Woofferton 250 78 English RUSS
12095 1600 1700 smtwtfs BBC Woofferton 250 78 English RUSS
12095 1700 1800 smtwtfs BBC Woofferton 250 140 English EUR
12095 1700 1900 smtwtfs BBC Woofferton 250 78 English RUSS
12095 1900 2100 smtwtfs BBC Ascension 250 114 English S AF
12095 2100 2400 smtwtfs BBC Ascension 250 245 English S AM

I used my "world clock" program to get a greyline map and found that
it's probably East Africa for the non-English stations, at sunrise.
That and West Central Europe are the only populated areas. The sunset
greyline is really grim for Western North America. India, Easter Island
and Tierra Del Fuego.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident