Old January 24th 05, 11:41 PM
Dxr75

Default Question about the TEC RX-320

Hello Group,

I'm thinking about purchasing the TEC RX-320.
I've owned the Drake SW8 which had a great sideband selectable sync detector.

My question:

How does the TEC RX-320 handle distortion caused by the fading signals?

Old January 25th 05, 02:21 AM
Brian Denley

Dxr75 wrote:
Hello Group,

I'm thinking about purchasing the TEC RX-320.
I've owned the Drake SW8 which had a great sideband selectable sync
detector.

My question:

How does the TEC RX-320 handle distortion caused by the fading
signals?

It doesn't. The RX-320 has no sync detector so manual ECSS is the only way
to handle deep fade distortion. The receiver is very stable, however so
ECCS works very well in my experience. There are some very powerful
software packages available for the 320.

--
Brian Denley

Old January 25th 05, 03:40 AM
starman

Brian Denley wrote:

Dxr75 wrote:
Hello Group,

I'm thinking about purchasing the TEC RX-320.
I've owned the Drake SW8 which had a great sideband selectable sync
detector.

My question:

How does the TEC RX-320 handle distortion caused by the fading
signals?

It doesn't. The RX-320 has no sync detector so manual ECSS is the only way
to handle deep fade distortion. The receiver is very stable, however so
ECCS works very well in my experience. There are some very powerful
software packages available for the 320.

When using ECSS on the 320, how well can you reject adjacent channel
interference (filtering) without degrading the audio quality? Can you
also notch out a 5-Khz het' at the same time?

Old January 25th 05, 05:54 AM
starman

Bushler wrote:

starman wrote:

When using ECSS on the 320, how well can you reject adjacent channel
interference (filtering) without degrading the audio quality? Can you
also notch out a 5-Khz het' at the same time?

on CLifton turner's software controller,(the Best imho)
You can select many bandwidths 32 in all, I think. ones in between 300 hz
to 8000 hz
regardless of the mode.
It is a trade off , If You need to switch to 1800 hz bandwidth to totally
get rid of any perceptible sidebands of the interfering channel,the
highest audio frequency You will hear is 1.8 khz on ssb.(in theory)
The audio will have less highs as you reduce the bandwidth.
(like any radio ) the Audio is Great ,and like Brian said You can do
Exalted Carrier selectable sideband.Very,Very stable
The volume is also reduced a little while listening to a AM station on
ECSS compared to just listening on AM.

You can also IF Shift with the little Yellow IF Skirt, It was never
supposed to do this in the official software,
But it does actually IF shift , You can Hear the voice normal , but the
Highs or lows get cutoff depending on which way You
shift,It only works in USB or LSB .

My R8B has passband offset (IF shift) in AM or SSB but I seldom use it
for broadcast listening. I just detune a little from the center
frequency. Do you think there will ever be a software implementation for
a selectable sideband sync' detector for the '320'?

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
Yagi / Beam antenna theory question... Nick C Antenna 12 October 5th 03 12:15 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM