Old January 26th 05, 03:08 PM
Jay

Default Ferrite Coil Antenna Hook-up ?? How connect ?

I found an old ferrite rod antenna coil in my scrap box and would like
to know if it would be possible to hook it to my Philco 38-10 ?
It has the usual 4 leads on these antennas and I have no idea where
these leads should be connected.
Any and all information for my education on these antennas will be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks
James
Old January 26th 05, 03:48 PM
Rob Mills

"Jay" wrote in message

It has the usual 4 leads on these antennas and I have no idea where

these leads should be connected.

This isn't an answer, just a commit. The ferrite rod in my McKay Dymek DA 5
ferrite bar antenna has only a half dozen or so windings centered on the
rod. The rod (it's been a while since I've looked at it) is aprox 8 to 10
inches long. Rob Mills ~

Old January 26th 05, 06:29 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Jay wrote:
I found an old ferrite rod antenna coil in my scrap box and would like
to know if it would be possible to hook it to my Philco 38-10 ?
It has the usual 4 leads on these antennas and I have no idea where
these leads should be connected.
Any and all information for my education on these antennas will be
greatly appreciated.

Is that a pre-WWII tube radio?

A ferrite rod loop stick is both the antenna and the tuning coil for
the first RF amplifier (if the radio has one) or the mixer RF input.
So you'd have to go into the band switch and disconnect the tuning coil
for that band, and then rewind the winding on the loop stick for the
same inductance. Not worth the effort, IMHO.

You could make a tuned loop stick out of it by connecting the right value
of variable capacitor and then add a link winding of a few turns that
hooked up to the antenna and ground inputs. But that's yet another knob
to twiddle. (You'd probably be better off with multi turn wire loop a
couple of feet across).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Putting a Ferrite Rod at the Far-End of a Random Wire Antenna ? RHF Shortwave 22 November 15th 04 08:15 PM
Building a Matching Transformer for Shortwave Listener's Antenna using a Binocular Ferrite Core from a TV type Matching Transformer RHF Shortwave 13 November 3rd 04 08:34 PM
Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
FS: CCrane AM Antenna With Twin Coil Ferrite (was Justice) Joe Esposito Shortwave 1 March 19th 04 12:35 AM