Old January 27th 05, 06:07 AM
Ric Trexell

Default Clicking from TV

I'm currently using a Grundig YB 400 but I'm sure this would happen with any
shortwave, but my problem is the clicking of the TV nearly across the whole
spectrum from 1-30mhz. There are spots where it doesn't bother much and if
the signal from the radio station is strong it is not a problem. I was
wondering if an outside antenna would improve this or just make it worse?
If I turn on the TV and listen to the radio it isn't there so I'm assuming
it is from the remote control part of it. I used to have an old TV with out
a remote and it didn't bother. I have thought of getting a better radio at
times but this clicking has made me wonder it it is worth it. If it weren't
for watching my own videos and the news, I would know what to do with the
TV, but I really don't want to see if it will support the weight of a bull
dozer just yet. Got any ideas as to what I should do? By the way, this is
heard even when the AC line cord is not used. Ric in Wisconsin.

Old January 27th 05, 10:45 PM
starman

ShortwaveMan wrote:

HI Ric,
If it were me, I'd be very careful with that TV. If the clicking sound is
coming from the TV and not the radio and the sound happens even with the TV
turned off and unplugged, it may be an electrical arc in the TV - that might
be a fire hazard.

If you feel it would be worth the expense you could take the tv to tv shop
to be checked out. I don't really know what else would make a clicking sound
on a tv.

The uP's (microprossors) on many devices can make a clicking sound on a
radio. I recently discovered that one of my battery chargers does this.
It wouldn't hurt to have the TV checked out though.

Old January 29th 05, 06:12 PM
CW

A better radio will just allow you to here the interference better. An
external antenna, well away from the house, fed to the radio via shielded
transmission line would help.