Old January 28th 05, 10:56 AM
GLC1173

Soliloquy wrote:
I have an outdoor wire antenna, about 75 feet in length, connected to one
radio. The other radio is used with a strictly indoor antenna. This
consists of an 18 guage insulated wire (the wire is available in white from
Radio Shack)that goes once around the room at ceiling height. We live
in a wood frame house and the indoor antenna is on the second floor.
Surprisingly, the reception is quite good, I am usually able to receive
most broadcasts on either radio.

I used to have an outdoor longwire about same length as yours - until an ice
storm. Reality is that the Slinky antenna indoors works just as well - and is
a Slinky endloading about 22' of wire.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BDissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, weather, Internet Gun Show
IA HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com"ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy/A/b/i

Old January 29th 05, 05:39 AM
Soliloquy

Leonard Martin wrote in
:

I just have it connected to the High Impedence jack. One time (on the
advice of a local HAM), I just terminated it with a Bananna Plug and
pushed it into the center of the coax connector. I really didn't see much
difference. My Yaesu FRG-100 has a selector on the back of the radio that
needs to be set depending on the jack in use. The Icom R-75 has an
antenna selector button and is represented in the LCD display as well. I
need to specify Antenna 2 for the high impedence input that I use,
otherwise the reception is almost nil. If the coax jack was used, Antenna
1 would be selected.

The indoor antenna is terminated in the same way.

For the outdoor antenna, the wire itself comes into the house and right
to the radio. It comes through a small opening in the frame of the vinyl
window, and comes across the baseboard to the radio. There is no metal
nearby, and I have no problem with noise generated in the house,
otherwise I would use coax until it was outside the house.

With the outdoor antenna, when I was renting a home with a very tiny back
yard, I ran 2 outdoor antennas. One was on the diagonal across the yard,
the other ran to the 4 conners of the yard. They in turn ran to a switch
that allowed me to select which antenna I wanted to use. The shorter
antenna actually came in handy often, producing stronger signals on
certain frequencies.

Soliloquy

I have an outdoor wire antenna, about 75 feet in length, connected to
one radio. The other radio is used with a strictly indoor antenna.
This consists of an 18 guage insulated wire (the wire is available in
white from Radio Shack)that goes once around the room at ceiling
height.

Hey, do you connect this to your radio in any special way? I just
built one like this, and I'm trying to decide how to feed it.

Leonard

Old January 29th 05, 06:50 PM
Greg Dome

AOR 320 with Sw MW, and 1.6 to MHz loops. Works as well as the Slinky@ I
have mounted on the outside walls.
"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
* * * SOURCE - Newsgroups: Rec.Radio.Shortwave
= = = From: "John Doty"
= = = Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:48:14 +0400
= = = Subject: Slinky Beverage Antenna
.
"The Slinky is fun, but calculations of its performance relative
to a straight wire are discouraging.
.
Below resonance it's just a hunk of wire, only slightly better
than a straight wire of similar length.
.
It's a relatively efficient antenna at resonance (which for a
"standard" slinky is around 7 MHz), but above resonance
it is less efficient than a straight wire of the same length.
.
For HF reception, efficiency generally matters most at the
higher frequencies where the Slinky's efficiency is in decline."
- by John Doty on 17 Aug 2003
.
iane ~ RHF
.
.

Old January 30th 05, 03:05 PM
Matt J. McCullar

"ShortwaveMan" wrote in message
ink.net...
I live in an apartment complex where no outdoor antennas are allowed. I

put
push pins in the wall around the window in my room and got 100' of hookup
wire wound around it. It works fairly well, but with DSL in the building,

don't listen much s. Regards

I made a 15-meter dipole antenna out of some wire I unwound from the yoke of
a junked-out television set, and strung it up near the ceiling. It's held
in place with pushpins, too. Living on the third floor must help, I think.
I've heard SW stations all over the world with this.

Old January 30th 05, 04:55 PM

I use a BuzzyButt antenna.
cuhulin

Old January 31st 05, 05:48 AM
old time radio operator

Hi Greg.
Do you have metal screens on your window?
My wife and I lived in a condo with antenna restrictions.
So I used a piece of hook up wire to the window screen.
I love it, antenna right in their face and they did not know.
Worked great @ 7mhz my favorite band.
PEACE
Dana
WDX6HWO

Old January 31st 05, 01:26 PM
Drifter

i was going to skip this topic. but, being bored here, waiting
for my vary late flight, on poor wi-fi, at Pgh Int AP. i use a
100 ft of (i believe, been a few years sense i put this up), #26
ins. goes from the 4th bedroom/computer/radio room, (smallest-
bedroom). from the mini-plug- around the ceiling-down the hall-
into the dining room, and, around that ceiling. dining room has
the most windows and faces west. i call it my storm antenna. and-
as of this weekend- a Wellbrook ALA330s. not being home allot, and
till the winter breaks- it's hanging from the fan- over the table
by a small bungee cord. the 330s is one great loop. i own a few other
loops; torus/sony/aor, etc. the wellbrook is great. if it was a little
smaller, i would put it in the attic. i just got it sat morn, and only
had 2 days to play with it. works good. nice and quiet. as Joe A. says,
lower signals, but vary readable. #58 coax takes it to the AOR and
the R8B. gotta go, but, as they say here, the antenna is more than
half the setup. Good DX to all...
Drifter...