Old January 27th 05, 02:31 PM

Default What indoor antenna do you use?

Hello friends
I'm in a condo. I just received a fantastic receiver (FRG100B)..I'm
currently running a homebrew "Heli-Rope" Antenna (from June 1971 QST)
hanging on the wall. Just out of pure curiousity, have any one of you
run indoor antennas? What kind? How did yours work?
Thanks 73 Greg WDX9KHY

Old January 27th 05, 03:49 PM
ShortwaveMan

I live in an apartment complex where no outdoor antennas are allowed. I put
push pins in the wall around the window in my room and got 100' of hookup
wire wound around it. It works fairly well, but with DSL in the building, I
don't listen much s. Regards

PEACE + We are the Providence of God
ups.com...

Old January 27th 05, 04:09 PM

Here's three low visibility antennas I've tried.

1. Find the biggest outward facing window and run wire around the
perimeter. I used tiny cupholders with suction cups on the bottom at
each corner of the window.
2. Run a wire around the baseboards of your listening room and any
other that you can get away with and tuck it down into the carpet.
3. A reasonable outdoor antenna can be made from magnet wire. It is
so thin that it's all but invisible. If you can toss the end over a
tree, so much the better, otherwise dangle it down the side of the
building with something to hold it in place.

Number 2 was the best performer.

Old January 27th 05, 04:46 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello Greg.

Check back for some of my previous posts as well as some others in the
archives.

I live in a small townhouse with covenants similar to yours. In
addition, I am "plagued" with local electrical noise.

My two best solutions for a table-top radio similar to yours a

1) The AOR WL500 Window Loop Antenna (an excellent antenna) and,

2) The Wellbrook ALA 330S Active Loop Antenna (the very best,
peformance without parallel)

My (and other's) previous posts, as well as the new PASSPORT TO WORLD
BAND RADIO and the new WRTH, will give you all the details.

Best,

Joe

Old January 27th 05, 11:51 PM
RHF

GREG [WDX9KHY],

READ - Four 'different' "In-Door" Loop Antennas Ideas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1933
..
Specifically take-a-look-at:
..
The "Coax Cable [Shielded] Loop Antennas" {GreerTech}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1625
..
iane ~ RHF
..
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
..
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"

Old January 28th 05, 12:33 AM
Buzzygirl

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have great success with the AMECO TPA, nice tuneable active antenna
that sits on top of my receiver

Where do you buy these? I read about it in the PWBR 2005 and would like to
purchase one...

Jackie

Old January 28th 05, 01:16 AM
RHF

BG / JACKIE,
..
Ameco TPA Active Antenna is a dual-function device
http://www.amecocorp.com/electronic.html
http://usa.shortwavestore.com/ameco-tpa.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1512.html
http://www.morsex.com/ameco/othel.htm
..
1 - Amplified Pre-Selector Covering 220 kHz to 30 MHz
with 0-20 dB Adjustable Gain.
..
2 - In-Door Active Antenna using the built-in 30 Inch
Telescopic Whip Antenna.
..
eHAM Review for the Ameco TPA Active Antenna
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3810
..
Also consider these other In-Door Active Antennas:
..
* MFJ-1020C
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1413.html
..
* Palstar AA30
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1492.html
..
* Vectronics AT-100
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3059.html
..
You may wish to check-out the Sony AN-LP1 Active
Shortwave Loop Antenna.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676.html
..
READ - Selecting an Active Antenna
plus the Snake-in-the-Grass Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1694
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Old January 28th 05, 03:36 AM
Soliloquy

" wrote in news:1106836294.759604.45580
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I have an outdoor wire antenna, about 75 feet in length, connected to one
radio. The other radio is used with a strictly indoor antenna. This
consists of an 18 guage insulated wire (the wire is available in white from
Radio Shack)that goes once around the room at ceiling height. We live in a
wood frame house and the indoor antenna is on the second floor.
Surprisingly, the reception is quite good, I am usually able to receive
most broadcasts on either radio.

I guess the condo situation modifies your situation somewhat. If the
building is substantial (concrete and steel), access to the window/windows
is your best bet. Try to avoid running wire antennas close to other metal,
such as suspended ceilings or metal frame windows.

I really like the FGR-100B, have fun with it.

Soliloquy

Old January 28th 05, 06:37 AM
starman

" wrote:

Hello friends
I'm in a condo. I just received a fantastic receiver (FRG100B)..I'm
currently running a homebrew "Heli-Rope" Antenna (from June 1971 QST)
hanging on the wall. Just out of pure curiousity, have any one of you
run indoor antennas? What kind? How did yours work?
Thanks 73 Greg WDX9KHY

The Sony An-LP1 is one of the best but I don't know how well it would
work with your FRG-100B. Might be worth a try.