Old January 31st 05, 01:57 AM
tianli

Steve,
He won't or can't answer your question. Every Chinese company has
"connections" with the Communist Party:
In this link are some interesting comments from a corrupt CCP businessman:
http://english.epochtimes.com/news/5-1-28/26080.html

"dxAce" wrote in message

More to the point, what does your question have to do with Degen radios
and shortwave listening. [?]

It was a legitimate question regarding DEGEN radios. (And other Chinese

sets as
well)

You may not like being reminded that by your purchase you help fund the

PLA and
help promote slave labour?

Got a problem with that, 'tard boy?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I am impressed that the designer of the DE1103
has given us some insight into that radio and more importantly has
asked the SWL community for suggestions on how to design a new radio.
That is a first for me.

I think we should focus this discussion on Degen and their shortwave
radios. And I'm sure you agree.

dxAce wrote:
Joe Analssandrini wrote:

Dear Sir,

At the risk of posting too much, may I say that I understand that

Degen
is one of China's leading radio manufacturers. As such, I hope that

the
design of this radio is a "no-holds-barred" short wave receiver of
absolute top quality. Ergonomics especially should be

user-friendly.
Menu-driven radios are perfectly acceptable IF the owner's manual

is
comprehensive and complete. (I own an AOR AR7030 Plus, the best
performing radio I have ever owned, which I find very easy to use

due
in part to its superb owner's manual. Though menu-driven, its
ergonomics are superb.) NO "FRILLS" (such as a "fake" analog dial)
should be on this radio; everything incorporated should be there

for a
distinct purpose: the best possible reception of the signals

desired.

I sincerely hope you will take into consideration my suggestion to
incorporate the various new terrestrial digital reception modes. It

is
not necessary (nor, in my opinion, desirable) to incorporate XM or
Sirius satellite "pay" reception into this forthcoming radio.

Satellite
radio can better be served by another separate receiver.

As I stated above, ABSOLUTE TOP QUALITY in DESIGN, COMPONENTS, and
CONSTRUCTION QUALITY are of PARAMOUNT importance.

Degen should market this radio in the USA under its own name. If

the
radio is a great one, this will give impetus to awareness of the

Degen
name in the United States.

I believe that, if any company can design and market a near-perfect
short wave radio, Degen is that company.

My question is: What relationship does DEGEN have to the PLA

(People's
Liberation Army)?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 31st 05, 07:22 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Default DEGEN DE1108 worldband receiver is now in preliminary design stage, any one has recommends on it?

Hello,

The radio should offer:

Dual or triple conversion with no less than excellent front-end
selectivity.

Full coverage from at least 100 kHz to 30000 kHz AM (no gaps), 76-108
MHz FM, and possibly simple air band reception (118-137 Mhz).

4 or 6 rechargeable-NiMH "D"-cell operation with MANUAL switch on back
to choose AC or Battery operation (so that AC Adapter need not be
unplugged when on battery power).

Synchronous-selectable sideband reception is a MUST. Should be designed
at least as well as that on the Grundig Satellit 800. Full passband
tuning would be even better. Lock must be held as well as on AR7030
model and must automatically turn off when tuning and then re-lock when
station is selected.

A good notch filter (with at least 50 dB depth) with range of 0.1 - 5
kHz.

At least 3 IF filters (bandwidths) (preferably 4) of 2.2 kHz, 4 kHz, 6
kHz (and possibly 1 kHz for data/CW); operation of these filters should
be cascaded so that inexpensive ceramic filters will give much better
performance than usual. (6 filter bandwidths would be ideal.) All shape
factors should be less than 1:2.

All parameters should be fully adjustable independently in all modes of
reception (except FM and the digital modes).

At least 200 memories. Tuning via knob (no "chugging" or muting),
"slew" buttons (5 kHz on SW, 9/10 kHz on MW, 9 kHz on LW, and 100 Mhz
on FM). Signal-scan automatic tuning. Memory scanning. Automatic memory
sorting. Automatic station setup (as on Sangean models) for AM and FM
memories.

Remote control operation possible with a CORDED detachable remote
control (at least 6 feet in length or adaptable to an extension cord if
user desires).

Dial illumination via LEDs, perhaps color-switchable (Red, Blue,
Green).

Dial light scheme similar to Grundig Satellit 800. (Always on or always
off with AC power, on for 15 seconds with any button push when using
battery power, or always off with batteries, as desired by user.)

Line outputs for external speaker(s) and stereo system. Excellent sound
quality is a must. Independent tone controls (Treble and Bass) should
be incorporated. Internal mono speaker of high quality is preferable to
mediocre stereo speakers.

At least two external antenna inputs for AM/SW (high and low impedence)
as well as an FM antenna input.

Built-in antennas should be: a LONG (possibly detachable) whip (PLUS a
shorter whip possibly optionally offered for travel); a LONG (at least
130 mm) internal ferrite antenna for MW and LW. External antennas to
override internal ones.

IBOC reception (AM & FM) for the US. Canadian DAB. (Possibly European
DAB.) Self-contained DRM (or a 12 kHz IF output to connect to a
DRM-equipped computer).

Clocks should be RADIO-CONTROLLED (and operated independently from
radio and powered via 2 AA or AAA batteries). Two times zones should be
available, one of which should be UTC. Local time should be adjustable
for daylight-savings time (via radio control) if required; UTC should
NOT be affected by DST change. One of the clocks (including seconds)
should ALWAYS be visible, radio on or off.

No LEDs (except for dial illumination and possibly button
illumination). Properly calibrated digital bar graph S-meter of at
least 12 segments.

A high-quality plastic cabinet or, preferably, a light-weight metal
(aluminum or magnesium) cabinet.

ALL internal components to be of TOP-QUALITY (formerly known as
MIL-spec).

Excellent sensitivity; a 3 or 4 step attenuator (or adjustable RF-gain
control) should be incorporated.

All other specifications to be of Drake R8B/AOR AR7030 caliber,
especially blocking, ultimate rejection, image rejection, and, most
important, dynamic range. Excellent sensitivity (a 3 or 4 step
attenuator would be of help).

A carrying case (nylon or leather) should be optionally offered; this
should be able to carry AC adapter, batteries, and any other options,
as well as fully protecting the radio.

Servicing is important. All service information should be made
available on line.

Guy Atkins has made some important suggestions; his suggestions should
be incorporated also.

A tall order? Yes. A "perfect" radio? Almost. There has never been
anything like it! What should this radio sell for? I would pay $1000 or
more for such a radio; could it be manufactured in China for $700?
Since this is to be your top-of-the-line radio, it should be designed
and made as perfectly as possible.

You make it, I'll buy it!

Joe

Old January 31st 05, 09:30 PM
Sanjaya

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
ups.com...
[super radio specs snipped for convenience of replying]

You make it, I'll buy it!

Joe

Shoot, I feel like paying just to read your specs.
I want *that* radio!!!

Old January 31st 05, 10:02 PM
RHF

LW2,
..
Using the Sony ICF-2010 as a 'standard and
a Grundig Satellit 800 M as a Reference:
..
* DRM = Digital Radio Mondiale Built-in DRM Signal Processor.
..
* Radio Data System {RDS} Information Display
..
* AM SYNC with Selectable SSB
- Dual Side Band AM-Sync = 6 kHz
- Selected USB/LSB Single Side Band AM-Sync = 3.4 kHz
..
* Four AM Shortwave IF Band Widths
- DRM Extra-Wide 12 kHz
- AM Normal 6 kHz {AM Sync}
- DXing Narrow 3.4 kHz {AM-Sync Selectable SSB}
- SSB 2.4 kHz
..
* Two FM IF Band Widths
- Stereo/Local FM Normal = 210 kHz Wide
- Mono/DX FM Distance = 130 kHz Narrow
..
* RF Signal Input Control Three Position :
- BOOST = Built-in 10 dB Pre-Amplifier
for the Whip and Ferrite Bar Antennas.
- DX = Normal
- LOCAL = Shortwave Only 2-30 MHz
Band Pass Filter with -20dB Attenuation
for both the AM/MW Band and FM Band.
..
* Large Tuning Knob and Up & Down Tuning Buttons
with about 240 to 360 Memories.
..
* Dual Tuning Steps: {Fast and Fine}
- FM = 200 & 20 kHz
- AM = 10 & 1 kHz {AM-BCB = 9/10}
- SSB = 1 kHz & 100 Hz
..
Separate Antenna Inputs :
- FM "F" / PAL Connector
- AM/MW and Shortwave
- - HI-Z Dual Terminals {A&G}
- - LO-Z Jack SO-239
..
* Speakers Three (2:1) for FM Stereo
- One Rear Facing Bass {4.5" Sub-Woofer}
- Two = Left and Right Front {3" Stereo}
- Audio Output Selector Switch:
- - Mono Talk & News {Voice} Front Two
- - Mono Music all three speakers
- - FM Stereo - HiFi (2:1)
NOTE - Sort of like the Grundig Satellit 2400 Dual
Speakers put the Controls in the Center and the
Speakers on the the Left and Right Front Sides.
http://www.dr-boesch.ch/radio/grundig-sat2400.htm
..
* Built-in "D" Size Rechargable Batteries with an
'external' ACDC Power Adapter / Battery Charger.
Auto/Car DCDC Power Adapter / Battery Charger.
..
* The Right "Size" - About the Size of a Panasonic
RF-2600 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio :
NOTE - Look at the Lay out of the Controls
and the Big Main Tuning Knob.
http://www.dxing.com/rx/rf799.htm
- 13.5" W
- 9.3" H
- 4.6" D
- Seven Pounds (7 Lbs.)
..
well thats my double-nickels worth ~ RHF
Old February 1st 05, 12:04 AM

the 1103 and 800 are from competing companies are you sure this is on
the level ?

Old February 1st 05, 12:46 AM

sure the chief engineer of SAT800 is from Tecsun ,one of the biggest
radio manufacturer in China, now he has left the job then running a
independent design house, the DE1103 if one of his design out for DEGEN
company.

Old February 1st 05, 12:52 AM

very interesting.

Old February 1st 05, 04:07 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Sir,

I should also like to add one more item to my list posted previously:
all memories and the firmware should be non-volatile. Should battery
and AC power be disconnected, all information should be retained
permanently (until changed by the user).
All my best wishes for the success of this forthcoming receiver.

Joe

Old February 1st 05, 07:18 AM
starman

Sanjaya wrote:

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
ups.com...
[super radio specs snipped for convenience of replying]

You make it, I'll buy it!

Joe

Shoot, I feel like paying just to read your specs.
I want *that* radio!!!

How about giving us the long promised Eton-E1 first.

Old February 1st 05, 07:32 AM
RHF

LW2,
..
Some where i thought that I had read that
Tecsun GEM China (PRC) 'owned' or was
a major share holder in Degen.
? Now Is That True ?