Old January 31st 05, 04:38 PM
Guy Atkins

Default DEGEN DE1108 worldband receiver is now in preliminary design stage, any one has recommends on it?

wrote in message
ups.com...
The designer(also the main engineer of DE1103 & Grundig SAT800) now ask
advise of the receiver function from BCLer, the DE1108 will be the
high-end receiver of DE 110X series, it comes with a large dot matrix
LCD display(128*64) two way speaker system, MP3 recorder, AM sync
detector, SSB, dual conversion, the reference basis is SAT700, it
should has better performance than sony 2001D, 7600G, SW77 even SAT700,
the outline dimensions will be large than SAT700,pls post your thougts
here, I will take the message to the design, thank you!

OK, here are a few thoughts on features I would like to see on the DE1108
portable:

1. Digital readout to a finer resolution than the Sony 2001D. A readout of
0.01 kHz would be very nice.

2. A passband tuning control (PBT) such as the Eton E1/Grundig Sat900 will
have, useful to at least +/- 2 kHz range. If passband tuning cannot be
included, then the AM synch detector should be a SELECTABLE SIDEBAND type,
as with the Sony's. Ideally, the new Degen would have both of these
features.

3. Sensitivity at least as good as the DE1103, which is a useful portable
here on the West Coast of the USA where signals are weaker.

4. A comfortable, large tuning knob, without audio "chuffing" (muting) when
tuning. The tuning knob on the DE1103 was a step in the right direction,
except it couldn't be very big due to the small size of the radio itself.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Old January 31st 05, 07:46 PM
Mark Zenier

In article . com,
wrote:
The designer(also the main engineer of DE1103 & Grundig SAT800) now ask
advise of the receiver function from BCLer, the DE1108 will be the
high-end receiver of DE 110X series, it comes with a large dot matrix
LCD display(128*64) two way speaker system, MP3 recorder, AM sync
detector, SSB, dual conversion, the reference basis is SAT700, it
should has better performance than sony 2001D, 7600G, SW77 even SAT700,

the outline dimensions will be large than SAT700,pls post your thougts
here, I will take the message to the design, thank you!

One idea would be to make it a "hang on the wall" shortwave. Desk space
is problem for a lot of us, and I think a radio with a form factor like
a flat panel TV would be neat. (My 2 cents worth. $.02 is probably asking
too much).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old January 31st 05, 08:41 PM
homepc

One thing I have long waited for -- a radio with USB flash drive support.
It would be great to record off the radio with different quality bit rates
(low to high) and transfer the files to my pc for CD archiving or vise versa
for playback on the radio.

Old January 31st 05, 11:08 PM
Stephan Grossklass

schrieb:

The designer(also the main engineer of DE1103 & Grundig SAT800) now ask
advise of the receiver function from BCLer, the DE1108 will be the
high-end receiver of DE 110X series, it comes with a large dot matrix
LCD display(128*64) two way speaker system, MP3 recorder, AM sync
detector, SSB, dual conversion, the reference basis is SAT700, it
should has better performance than sony 2001D, 7600G, SW77 even SAT700,
the outline dimensions will be large than SAT700,pls post your thougts
here, I will take the message to the design, thank you!

Some points I can think of offhand:
* Use good quality IF filters, i.e. 6-element ceramics or such for AM.
(If these should not be available, get inventive.) I'd combine these
with a wider tail filter. I guess DSP usage is not an option? Some
care when applying the 1st IF crystal filters may not hurt, to ensure
good image rejection (as well as intermodulation characteristics). FM
should use 3 cascaded filters with a medium bandwidth to match the
Satellit 700, with 3 gangs (tuned front-end circuits) recommended.
* With a two way speaker system, make sure sound is as good as possible
with the concept, and that not only to Chinese ears. Audio engineering
has sadly been frequently neglected in the last 10...15 years or so.
If some kind of EQ circuit (for speaker operation only) is needed, so
be it, the radio makers of yore also used such tricks. (There should
be an additional tone control, tastes in sound differ after all.) Some
research in terms of vibration suppression or loudspeaker building in
general and such may be of help. Given the sound is right, a simple
line-level 3.5 mm (stereo) input for amplifying purposes might be a
nice touch.
* Get the internal shielding right, particularly with a non-negligible
digital section.
* Oscillator pulling by lighting LEDs (DE1102 in SSB) and other such
funky stuff better be ironed out, along with operating kinks. Plain
ol' analog volume control and paged decimal presets please.
* Front end selectivity for the AM ranges should be one filter for LW,
one for MW and then several (~ octave) for shortwave, maybe further
varactor-tuned. (The '700 had an electronically tuned preselector,
though it seems alignment of the thing from the factory wasn't always
that great.) Those living near MW transmitters (rather common in the
US) are likely to appreciate a highpass filter for shortwave.
* A big receiver should offer sufficient space for a big ferrite rod
antenna, for good LW/MW (and I'd also suggest low SW up to ~2.5 MHz or
so, where telescopic antennas tend to be inefficient) sensitivity and
directionality. Something rotatable à la RF-2200 might be worth
considering; the bigger a receiver is, the more tiresome rotating the
whole thing becomes.
* I suggest at least two different frequency steps, better 3 - usual
frequency grid for the band, 1 kHz and then something smallish (maybe
100 Hz plus analog fine tuning, or = 20 Hz without).
* Memory presets: With EEPROMs being rather inexpensive these days, a
few hundreds with at least 8-digit name tags should be possible. But
if MP3 recorder functionality (with commodity flash memory, I guess?)
is already present, one could also use the associated storage. If this
should be removable, a simple file format like CSV could enable easy
presets interchanging and PC based updating. (This might even include
firmware updates, which certainly are not a bad idea.) The MP3
recording probably features adjustable sample rates, (average /
variable, not only constant) bit rates and mono/stereo selection?
(Shortwave recordings would probably require no more than 11025 Hz
mono and thus a relatively low data rate, while FM stereo would best
be recorded with 32000 Hz or 44100 Hz in stereo.)
* In spite of all possible complexity, the essential functions - tuning
and frequency entering, tone control, basic preset saving and
recalling - must remain simple and intuitive to use. If someone can
figure these out without reading the manual, this is good. On a bigger
set, placement of things like a tuning wheel requires some thought in
order to avoid (arm related) fatigue during longer listening sessions.
* Any plans for DRM reception? (Provided some matching and not so power
hungry ICs are already available. If not, a 12 kHz IF output derived
from a suitable spot - maybe behind a 10...12 kHz filter normally
improving ultimate rejection - is better than nothing. Reserving some
space for an add-on DRM board may not hurt then.) What about RDS for
FM?
* Dual balanced 1st mixers have been very similar in portables, and
that for over 20 years now - how boring. Try some other circuit
variants, maybe these give better results.
* For a receiver of this class, availability of servicing instructions
is virtually a must.

I'm pretty sure build quality will not be an issue, given I see little
reason to complain about this even on the little DE105 (I recently
obtained a relabeled one). DEGEN certainly has the potential to become a
major player in the mobile entertainment market.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite:
http://stephan.win31.de/

Old February 1st 05, 03:17 AM
Conan Ford

Also, a bright orange or green (or white) backlight is preferable to a DIM
blue one, even if blue LED's are more trendy.

Old February 5th 05, 01:06 AM
Giampiero Bernardini

HI all,
I have a Degen 1103. It's a good rx. About the 1108 I suggest to care
about FM section. In the world there are a lot of Dxer looking for a
good FM radio since Grundig Satellit 500 and 700 disappeared. Here are
some important features about FM section, with low cost to implement
it:

1) coverage also of East Europe OIRT FM 65.9 - 74 MHz

2) 3 IF filter (bandwidth, with low price Murata ceramic filters):
narrow 53 kHz for hard dx; middle 110 kHz filters for better RDS
decoding also in dx; large 180 kHz filter for music

3) 10 kHz step possible

4) External antenna possible for FM too

5) RDS with also PI code reading as Sat 700

6) Connection with a computer for RDS decoding and analysis, via
serial port (better) or jack

Features 1 - 4 - 5 and also 6 can be obtained without too many
problems also with Sangean 909. The feature #2 is obtained on Sangean
(only one fix bandwith) changing the 10.7 IF filters with a Murata
ceramic one.

73
Giampiero