Old February 2nd 05, 01:36 AM
Michael

Default good night for MW

Seems to be a good night for medium wave..

As usual the following are booming in.

1100 WTAM Cleveland, OH

1100 WBT Charlotte, NC

1140 WRVA Richmond, VA

1180 WHAM, Rochester, NY

1500 WTOP, DC

Im also getting a few of the 50 killowatt stations that I dont normally hear
so well.

750 WSB in Atlanta made it through tonight

I also heard 760 WJR in Detroit clearly

670 WSCR in Chicago was weak but made it through...

1120 KMOX, MO... very messy and lots of QRM but it made it.

The ssb selectable AM sync on the Sony 7600gr makes ALL the differance for
MW DX'ing.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Old February 2nd 05, 01:40 AM
Michael

"Michael" wrote in message
Seems to be a good night for medium wave..

As usual the following are booming in.

1100 WTAM Cleveland, OH

1100 WBT Charlotte, NC

CORRECTION: 1110 WBT

Old February 2nd 05, 03:27 AM
Gary Brown

I agree, --look at the 160-meter stuff at:
http://hamcall.net/dxspots

Gary
K4GPB

Old February 2nd 05, 05:40 PM
Invader3K

This reminds me...I read a story today (don't have a link, sorry),
where a lot of 50kW night AM stations in the US are complaining about
Spanish stations interfering with their signals. The signals are
apparently coming from Cuba, but the FCC hasn't determined this
officially yet. Anyone heard of or experienced this lately? I haven't
done much MW DXing lately, so I wouldn't know.

Old February 2nd 05, 06:44 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Invader3K wrote:
This reminds me...I read a story today (don't have a link, sorry),
where a lot of 50kW night AM stations in the US are complaining about
Spanish stations interfering with their signals. The signals are
apparently coming from Cuba, but the FCC hasn't determined this
officially yet. Anyone heard of or experienced this lately? I haven't
done much MW DXing lately, so I wouldn't know.

There's been a fair amount of auroral propagation recently. This causes
increased absorption at higher latitudes - "daytime" conditions, where
AM stations don't cover the vast distances they cover at night, have
extended into the nighttime hours, but more so for stations further from
the equator.

This tends to make the signals of northern stations weaker, while not
affecting southern (i.e., Latin American) stations as much. In a place
where you might ordinarily hear WGN Chicago, you may hear Jamaica or
Cuba instead.

The general consesus is that there haven't been any significant AM power
increases in Cuba lately.

There have also been a few problems with interference from
Spanish-language stations *based in the U.S.*. One Miami station got
busted a couple of years back for operating from an unauthorized site,
with an unauthorized non-directional antenna pattern, and at an
unauthorized power. Amazingly, they didn't lose their license. Another
station here in Tennessee has been busted twice for using 5,000 watts at
night instead of their legal six-watt signal. They're not the only two.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old February 2nd 05, 09:44 PM
colincam780

If you like the GR, I wish you could try a 2010 for MW. I have both
and the GR is good, but the 2010 just smokes.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:14 PM
Michael

"colincam780" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you like the GR, I wish you could try a 2010 for MW. I have both
and the GR is good, but the 2010 just smokes.

Is the 2010 that good for MW just on its internal antenna ??? For me, I
dont like the 7600gr for its sensitivity on MW, I value it because it is
fairly quiet as far as noise goes and MOST of all the ssb selectable AM sync
really makes a huge difference. Without it, in a lot of cases, you get all
kinds of QRM from neighboring stations when you try to DX MW. Then, just
switch on the sync and pick the ssb setting on the other side of the QRM.
Viola !!! A good clean clear signal. I absolutely LOVE it. I have GE SR
III with that huge internal ferrite bar that was designed for MW DX. It is
more sensitive then the 7600gr and more quite. Still, I prefer the 7600gr
just because of the sync and digital tuning.

Michael

Old February 3rd 05, 04:47 AM
Conan Ford

"Michael" wrote in
:

Seems to be a good night for medium wave..

As usual the following are booming in.

1100 WTAM Cleveland, OH

1100 WBT Charlotte, NC

1140 WRVA Richmond, VA

1180 WHAM, Rochester, NY

1500 WTOP, DC

Im also getting a few of the 50 killowatt stations that I dont
normally hear so well.

750 WSB in Atlanta made it through tonight

I also heard 760 WJR in Detroit clearly

670 WSCR in Chicago was weak but made it through...

1120 KMOX, MO... very messy and lots of QRM but it made it.

The ssb selectable AM sync on the Sony 7600gr makes ALL the differance
for MW DX'ing.

I'm getting quite a bit on 75 m, 60 m, and 49 m so far. Some
frequencies have multiple stations audible on them.