RadioBanter

-   -   Air America fastest growing radio network in history (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/63490-air-america-fastest-growing-radio-network-history.html)

David February 3rd 05 03:40 PM

Air America fastest growing radio network in history

Franken's Air America bounces back with Bush win
Wed Feb 2, 2005 08:03 PM ET
By Steve Gorman
LOS ANGELES, Feb 2 (Reuters) - Comedian and political provocateur Al
Franken says the re-election of U.S. President George W. Bush was bad
for the country but good for his fledgling liberal radio network, Air
America, as it strives to rebound from a rocky start.

Much as conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh grew in popularity as he
railed for eight years against Democrat Bill Clinton, Franken sees
Bush as the perfect foil in his mission to amplify the voice of the
political left on daytime talk radio.
In an interview with Reuters ahead of this week's return of Air
America to Los Angeles, the second largest U.S. city, Franken said he
was as disappointed as any lefty by Bush's victory over Democratic
challenger John Kerry.

But in his view, Kerry's loss was Air America's gain.

"Obviously, it's more fun to go after Bush's terrible ideas and
programs than to defend Kerry's not-quite-exactly-what-we -want
plans," said Franken, 53, whose New York-based show and the rest of
Air America's lineup will begin airing on KTLK-AM in Los Angeles on
Thursday, the day after Bush's State of the Union address.

By the end of the month, the network that began in just six cities on
March 31, 2004, then nearly collapsed weeks later amid financial woes,
will have spread to 50 stations nationwide, including outlets in 15 of
the top 20 markets, among them New York, Washington, D.C., Miami,
Boston, Atlanta and Philadelphia.

It will even venture into Bush's home state of Texas with a launch on
a Corpus Christi station later this month.

The network's programming, which includes shows hosted by actress
Janeane Garofalo and commentator Randi Rhodes, also airs on satellite
radio and the Internet on (http://www.airamericaradio.com).

With a new team of executives in charge and investors committing
additional capital, Air America President Jon Sinton predicted the
network could reach profitability by year's end.

"We are as far as I can determine the fastest-growing network in the
history of this industry," Sinton said, adding that its cumulative
national audience ranges from 2.5 million to 3 million listeners per
week.

That pales in comparison to the 20 million so-called "ditto heads" who
tune in weekly to hear Limbaugh on nearly 600 stations nationwide, but
Sinton noted that the conservative commentator has a 15-year jump on
Air America.

The KTLK launch marks a key turning point after the network was
unceremoniously dumped from another Los Angeles station last spring
due to a cash crunch.

Ironically, some of the network's biggest successes have come on
stations owned by Clear Channel Communications Inc. (CCU.N: Quote,
Profile, Research) , the media giant seen by liberals as a tool of the
right and whose subsidiary, Premiere Radio Networks, syndicates
Limbaugh's show.

But Sinton said it should come as no surprise "when businesses behave
in ways that will enhance their bottom line." As one industry insider
who spoke on condition of anonymity put it, "If Franken can deliver an
audience, they'll run to Franken. They don't care about his politics."

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

MnMikew February 3rd 05 06:01 PM

"David" wrote in message
Franken's Air America bounces back with Bush win

"We are as far as I can determine the fastest-growing network in the
history of this industry," Sinton said,"

One mans opinion is hardly fact.

RHF February 3rd 05 06:20 PM

DaviD,

MnMikew February 3rd 05 09:29 PM

"David" wrote in message
He left it open to challenge. Made you look!

More like he just made it up.

[email protected] February 4th 05 02:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Air America is on the air in San
Diego. This is a good time to try it out since PBS is having a fund drive.

Larry

Tom Sevart February 5th 05 04:32 AM

Kind of strange that he'd name his network after the secret CIA airline in
Vietnam! :-)

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

McWebber February 5th 05 07:36 AM

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message
Kind of strange that he'd name his network after the secret CIA airline in
Vietnam! :-)

Check your dictionary for irony.

[email protected] February 5th 05 08:08 AM

Here is my "Dictionary",,,, ****!!!!! air america!!!!!!!!!!!
cuhulin

[email protected] February 5th 05 08:12 AM

PMSpbs has their COMMIE!!! mits out again for more money? I wouldn't
know,I never watch them ASSHOLES!!! on tv anymore.
cuhulin

David February 5th 05 02:20 PM

Air America is the United States' last hope to end the madness.

dxAce February 5th 05 02:22 PM

David wrote:

Air America is the United States' last hope to end the madness.

Not true at all. All you need to do is get those meds squared away and it'll be
all right.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

GayinCanada February 5th 05 09:02 PM

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:45:44 GMT, "Honus"
wrote:

wrote in message
PMSpbs has their COMMIE!!! mits out again for more money? I wouldn't
know,I never watch them ASSHOLES!!! on tv anymore.
cuhulin

It shows.

Hi Honus!

I love you!

m II February 6th 05 08:39 AM

wrote:

wrote in message

PMSpbs has their COMMIE!!! mits out again for more money? I wouldn't
know,I never watch them ASSHOLES!!! on tv anymore.
cuhulin

It shows.

Hi Honus!

I love you!

Join the club.

Well, I can't say I haven't been thinking of joining it myself, but as the
Ace has started sending me flowers, chocolates and frilly underwear, I feel
a certain sense of obligation and commitment. I'm sure it's not just a
rebound fling after I got dumped by beerbrain.

The Ace has promised me he will be going public with our relationship in a
few days. He says he's relieved to have shed the cloak of deception and is
happy to be finally out of the closet.

Cheek Guevara©

© mike II
© densa international

GayinCanada February 6th 05 11:08 AM

wrote:

wrote in message

PMSpbs has their COMMIE!!! mits out again for more money? I wouldn't
know,I never watch them ASSHOLES!!! on tv anymore.
cuhulin

It shows.

Hi Honus!

I love you!

Join the club.

Well, I can't say I haven't been thinking of joining it myself, but as the
Ace has started sending me flowers, chocolates and frilly underwear, I feel
a certain sense of obligation and commitment. I'm sure it's not just a
rebound fling after I got dumped by beerbrain.

The Ace has promised me he will be going public with our relationship in a
few days. He says he's relieved to have shed the cloak of deception and is
happy to be finally out of the closet.

Cheek Guevara©

© mike II
© densa international

Why are you waiting a few days honey? It's OK to be gay! Just go with
your Heart. You'll be OK. I have faith in you.

GayinCanada

Brian Hill February 6th 05 01:54 PM

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Oh really? Good day to you Sir? Mam? whatever, take it easy.

B.H.

dxAce February 6th 05 02:12 PM

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

That's one damn confused 'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Brian Hill February 6th 05 02:24 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Carry a gun, wear a sturdy belt and don't turn your back on him Steve.

B.H.

[email protected] February 6th 05 04:01 PM

Get ****ED!!!
cuhulin

David February 6th 05 04:24 PM

Dude, they made a movie. Mel Gibson. Robert Downey Jr.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:33:21 -0000, Larry Weil wrote:

"Tom Sevart" wrote in
:

Kind of strange that he'd name his network after the secret CIA
airline in Vietnam! :-)

If it's secret, how do you know about it, and why are you subjecting
yourself to possible prosecution for treason by posting it on the internet?

--

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

David February 6th 05 04:28 PM

Please. Where are these conservatives of which you speak? All I hear
are shills for corporatist thugs.

On 5 Feb 2005 11:32:17 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

DaviD,
.
Most people try 'ending' "The Madness" by committing Suicide.
.
DaviD - Consider the Possibilities ;-)
.
HELLO - Can I Get A Reality Check ? Liberals Call (Label} :
.
Conservatives who only Listen to One-Point-of-View Conservative
Talk Radio Programming are called : Narrow {Closed} Minded !
.
However, Liberals who only Listen to One-Point-of-View Liberal
Talk Radio Programming are called : Open Minded {Enlightened} !
.
something to think about ~ RHF
.
.

dxAce February 6th 05 04:37 PM

David wrote:

Please. Where are these conservatives of which you speak? All I hear
are shills for corporatist thugs.

It's just those voices in your head you stupid 'tard.

Now go take those meds.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

On 5 Feb 2005 11:32:17 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

DaviD,
.

Honus February 6th 05 06:27 PM

"m II" wrote in message

Well, I can't say I haven't been thinking of joining it myself, but as the
Ace has started sending me flowers, chocolates and frilly underwear, I

feel
a certain sense of obligation and commitment. I'm sure it's not just a
rebound fling after I got dumped by beerbrain.

He really went through us fellas, huh? ****ing heartbreaker...he'll get his,
someday.

The Ace has promised me he will be going public with our relationship in a
few days. He says he's relieved to have shed the cloak of deception and is
happy to be finally out of the closet.

Hey...I thought that earlier this year he was outed as your father. Or, if
he prefers, you were outed as his son. Or your mom was outed as a whore. I
don't really remember. But the relationship definitely was of a different
sort.

Cheek Guevara©

All I can say is that I'm laughing out loud. g

dxAce February 6th 05 06:36 PM

Honus wrote:

"m II" wrote in message

Well, I can't say I haven't been thinking of joining it myself, but as the
Ace has started sending me flowers, chocolates and frilly underwear, I

feel
a certain sense of obligation and commitment. I'm sure it's not just a
rebound fling after I got dumped by beerbrain.

He really went through us fellas, huh? ****ing heartbreaker...he'll get his,
someday.

The Ace has promised me he will be going public with our relationship in a
few days. He says he's relieved to have shed the cloak of deception and is
happy to be finally out of the closet.

Hey...I thought that earlier this year he was outed as your father. Or, if
he prefers, you were outed as his son. Or your mom was outed as a whore. I
don't really remember. But the relationship definitely was of a different
sort.

Yes, as I recall his mother only charged me $20 or so. That was back in the days
when she was servicing the fleet.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Honus February 6th 05 06:39 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

Honus wrote:

"m II" wrote in message

[...]

Canadian, or real money?

Brian Hill February 6th 05 07:20 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

Yes, as I recall his mother only charged me $20 or so. That was back in

the days
when she was servicing the fleet.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Hey Steve. Did she do good on the money shot? ;)

B.H.

Stinger February 6th 05 08:56 PM

"MnMikew" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Franken's Air America bounces back with Bush win

"We are as far as I can determine the fastest-growing network in the
history of this industry," Sinton said,"

One mans opinion is hardly fact.

No, it's probably right. Just remember, figure's don't lie -- but liars
will figure.

Think about it -- There are plenty of ways to quantify "fastest growing."
For instance, when they went from 10 stations to 11, that was a 10%
increase. So now, when they go from 40 to 41 that's still a 2 1/2%
increase.

Meanwhile, if Rush goes from his current 600 stations to 601, that's only
..16 of a percent of increase. OH MY GOD!

Aren't statistics fun!

The funniest thing about this is that "Air America" could be broadcast 24/7
on 1000 antennas and it still wouldn't have the ratings of Limbaugh's show.
It's all about ratings, and Air America's are dismal.

-- Stinger

MnMikew February 7th 05 06:29 PM

"David" wrote in message
Air America is the United States' last hope to end the madness.

BWHAHAHAHAHA

dxAce February 7th 05 07:15 PM

Tom Betz wrote:

(Al Dykes) wrote in :

In article ,
Stinger wrote:

Perhaps this audio link from what is sure to be a trusted source for
you (NPR), entitled "Money Woes for the Air America Radio Network"
will give you a reality check:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=1911057

Dated May '04, when they _did_ have a problem with the venture
capital, kicked out the CEO and got more backing. It seems they are
on a nice growth curve. That situation is almost a year old, now.

You don't expect that idiot Bu****e sheep to keep in touch with reality,
do you? Reality is against his religion. No, he'd rather cling to
someothing somebody told him a long time ago that made him feel good
about himself, like a hillbilly heroin addict who just can't recapture
that beautiful first high again, no matter how big a dose he snorts.

I'm almost ashamed of the schadenfreude I experience watching these
sheeple make fools of themselves over and over and over again, as they
continue to bang their heads against reality.

'Tis you who have the problem with reality, 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

David Eduardo February 8th 05 07:17 PM

"David" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:22:54 -0600, "Stinger"
wrote:

" AIR AMERICA' RATINGS TURBULENCE IN NY CITY: Surprising many observers
who
expected it to shine during election season, all-liberal upstart WLIB
(1190
AM) -- base station for Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo -- actually headed
south, shedding 15% of its summer audience to finish fall at 24th place in
just-released ARBITRONS... "

Schadenfreude that, you condescending liberal twits!

-- Stinger

Perfect example of how easily a moron can be misled by a flashy
headline. The rating went from 2.4 to 2.2.

And that is well within the margin of error for a survey at that share
level.

David Eduardo February 8th 05 07:19 PM

"Stinger" wrote in message

"David" (obviously distracted by a bright, shiny
object) wrote in message

Perfect example of how easily a moron can be misled by a flashy
headline. The rating went from 2.4 to 2.2.

Exactly right, dimwit -- the rating DID go from 2.4 (miniscule) to 2.2
(microscopic) for a 15% DROP to 24th.

0.2 in Arbitron is way, way inside the margin of error. A 2.4 is a 2.2 is a
2.0 is a 2.6. In other words, no change.

They LOST 15% of their already TINY audience in NYC.

They have a sizable audience considering thier more limited signal. They are
doing far better than anything on 1190 has done for decades.

So, where on earth could they have gone?

Uh oh -- Rush found 'em!

No, that is like saying that all of NY's Jews suddenly showed up at St.
Paddys for mass. Ain't going to happen.

Read it and weep, ****-for-brains.

Learn how ratings work before commenting again.

dxAce February 8th 05 07:32 PM

object) wrote in message

Perfect example of how easily a moron can be misled by a flashy
headline. The rating went from 2.4 to 2.2.

Exactly right, dimwit -- the rating DID go from 2.4 (miniscule) to 2.2
(microscopic) for a 15% DROP to 24th.

0.2 in Arbitron is way, way inside the margin of error. A 2.4 is a 2.2 is a
2.0 is a 2.6. In other words, no change.

They LOST 15% of their already TINY audience in NYC.

They have a sizable audience considering thier more limited signal. They are
doing far better than anything on 1190 has done for decades.

So, where on earth could they have gone?

Uh oh -- Rush found 'em!

No, that is like saying that all of NY's Jews suddenly showed up at St.
Paddys for mass. Ain't going to happen.

And Air America catching up with Rush... Ain't gonna happen.

Failed ideas, failed philosophy, failed candidates (many of whom should be in
jail, (Teddy Kennedy for one, John Kerry for another))

Buy ammo! It'll be over fairly quickly, but always be prepared.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Stinger February 8th 05 08:23 PM

object) wrote in message

Perfect example of how easily a moron can be misled by a flashy
headline. The rating went from 2.4 to 2.2.

Exactly right, dimwit -- the rating DID go from 2.4 (miniscule) to 2.2
(microscopic) for a 15% DROP to 24th.

0.2 in Arbitron is way, way inside the margin of error. A 2.4 is a 2.2 is
a 2.0 is a 2.6. In other words, no change.

They LOST 15% of their already TINY audience in NYC.

They have a sizable audience considering thier more limited signal. They
are doing far better than anything on 1190 has done for decades.

So, where on earth could they have gone?

Uh oh -- Rush found 'em!

No, that is like saying that all of NY's Jews suddenly showed up at St.
Paddys for mass. Ain't going to happen.

Read it and weep, ****-for-brains.

Learn how ratings work before commenting again.

LOL!

Learn to do simple arithmetic before trying (in vain) refute overwhelming
numbers.

-- Stinger

RHF February 8th 05 08:35 PM

Something To Think About . . .

Stinger February 8th 05 08:38 PM

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Something To Think About . . .
.
Air America -=Verses=- National Public Radio (NPR)
[LIBERAL -v- Liberal]
.
Air America's 'biggest' Competitor is not Rush Limbaugh
or any other so called Conservative Talk Radio personality
... but all that good Liberal Programming that is being
pumped-out via the Tax Free (therefore Taxpayer Supported)
Public Radio Stations (NPR/PRI).
.
* Yes in NPR/PRI - Air America has a Rival who has
had a monopoly on the Liberal Agenda
.
"The Voice of Liberalism to the so called Educated ELITE."
.
* An Audience that has been buying the same Brand of
Liberal News and Information {TALK} Radio for over 50 Years.

* A Listener Base that is 'conditioned' to PAY (Donate)
for their Brand of Liberal Radio.

* Plus all those Liberal "Down For The Cause" FREELOADERS: Who Listen
and NEVER send in a Dime to Support what they
Claim that they 'believe-in'.
.
Lets Give It Up For NPR -Air America's Public Enemy # 1
.
something to think about ~ RHF
.
.

That's very well-thought insight, RHF.

-- Stinger

David Eduardo February 8th 05 09:55 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

And Air America catching up with Rush... Ain't gonna happen.

In some markets, where AA has competitive signals, it is happening. The
margin, especially in 25-54, is close in some places, far off in others.
Just as Rush has 5 or 6 shares in some places, 2 to 3 shares in others.

Failed ideas, failed philosophy, failed candidates (many of whom should be
in
jail, (Teddy Kennedy for one, John Kerry for another))

But it is entertaining radio. Talk radio is about entertainment, not
content.

Buy ammo! It'll be over fairly quickly, but always be prepared.

Huh?

David Eduardo February 8th 05 09:57 PM

"Stinger" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Learn how ratings work before commenting again.

LOL!

Learn to do simple arithmetic before trying (in vain) refute overwhelming
numbers.

I have been doing Arbitron analysis for the last 35 years, and make a living
with the "simple math" of statistics.

Your response shows you know nothing about how radio ratings work.

Stinger February 8th 05 10:45 PM

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
t...

"Stinger" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Learn how ratings work before commenting again.

LOL!

Learn to do simple arithmetic before trying (in vain) refute overwhelming
numbers.

I have been doing Arbitron analysis for the last 35 years, and make a
living with the "simple math" of statistics.

Your response shows you know nothing about how radio ratings work.

And your response shows you don't know the difference between 15 and 2.2.

Must all liberals resort to condescending tones to pretend that they know a
deeper truth than the facts right in front of their noses?

For what it's worth, I put myself through college working at radio stations,
and I know my way through a book.

-- Stinger

David Eduardo February 8th 05 10:57 PM

"Stinger" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Learn how ratings work before commenting again.

LOL!

Learn to do simple arithmetic before trying (in vain) refute
overwhelming numbers.

I have been doing Arbitron analysis for the last 35 years, and make a
living with the "simple math" of statistics.

Your response shows you know nothing about how radio ratings work.

And your response shows you don't know the difference between 15 and 2.2.

I know that Air America in NY underperforms because the 5 mv/m signal barely
covers 40% of the market's population. If one retabulates the nubmers for
the city-grade coverage area, WLIB actually is very close to WABC in key
sales demos. In some markets, like Portland, it beats the conservative
talker. In San Diego, AA is on a vastly inferior signal, yet comes very
close to KOGO in 25-54. In most other markets, the format is way too new to
make any conclusion at all.

Must all liberals resort to condescending tones to pretend that they know
a deeper truth than the facts right in front of their noses?

I am not a liberal. In fact, in the last election I voted for the Partido
Nuevo Progresista, which is conservative. Being conservative does not, as a
rule, require divorcing oneself from reality.

For what it's worth, I put myself through college working at radio
stations, and I know my way through a book.

That is not apparent. College interns generally don't even see books... or
the electronic version in use for the last decade.

Brian Hill February 8th 05 11:02 PM

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
STINGER,
.
Just as my Daddy raised me to Love My Country and
"Listen" to the 'likes' of John K Chapel, Ira Blue
and Paul Harvey
* John K Chapel "Author, Lecturer and World Traveler
* "John K. Chapel, NEWS and Commentary" KABL
* Ira Blue the 'original' KGO Night Time Talk Show
* Paul Harvey "News and Comment" and "The Rest of the Story"
.
My Grand Children are being raised to Love Their Country
and Listen to: Rush Limbaugh, Dr Laura and Sean Hannity.
One little 4 Year Old Grand Daughter is fond of saying
"Now Go Do The Right Thing !"
.
teach your children well ~ RHF
.