Old February 8th 05, 05:30 AM
mike maghakian

OK, you seem to be a lot more experienced at this than me. I will try your
way first.

"Don Brady" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:05:33 -0800, "mike maghakian"

wrote:

thanks for the insight, in my case they delivered the package and LATER
mailed the bill !

I will be calling purolator tomorrow and putting the pressure on them. I
will mention they are illegally collecting customs and fraudulently trying
to collect excesssive fees.

Neither of those is completely true actually.

I would concentrate on the fact that you did not approve it if you want to
get
results.

Old February 8th 05, 05:53 AM
Mark S. Holden

mike maghakian wrote:
I bought a radio for $215 from someone in canada a few weeks ago and today I
got a bill from the carrier (purolator) company.

the main items we

estimated customs $15
brokerage fee $18
surety bond fee $30
disbursement of funds $5
FCC filing $15

total was $85 on a $215 radio

for those that have experience with this matter, or actually KNOW what they
are talking about, I have some questions.

Am I being taken for a ride ?
I didn't sign anything so why should I pay over $50 in fees to these crumbs
?
Is there a way to fight this ?

thanks

I'll know more about customs in a day or two, as I've got a telescope
arriving from Germany tomorrow or Wednesday.

The German courier charged $200 for insured shipping and it weighs just
over 30 pounds.

It'll be delivered by Fedex, and they required me to fill out a CBP Form
5106 before they could get it released from customs, but my impression
is the only thing I'll be billed for is the actual duty imposed by customs.

I remember one seller saying something to the effect you'd think we were
at war when it comes to importing radios between the USA and Canada.

I've also noticed some Canadian radio sellers hand carry radios across
the border to ship to US customers.

Old February 8th 05, 06:09 AM
RHF

MM,
Old February 8th 05, 06:23 AM
RHF

MSH,
Old February 8th 05, 06:29 AM
mike maghakian

this is useful info !

thanks !

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
MM,
.
Blame it on the Canadian Seller.
.
For 'used' electronic equipment that are bought at Auction.
There is no US Customs Duty for items costing less than $800.
However, if the Canadian Seller does not specifically Declare
(Write Down) that the item is 'used' electronic equipment; or
Declares that the the Item is NEW Electronic Equipment then
you, the Buyer, are stuck with paying the Bill for their mistake.
.
jm2cw ~ RHF
.
.

Old February 8th 05, 06:30 AM

I have heard many stories from Canadian Hams who have been charged
these kind of fees by the courier companies. UPS has come in for
strong criticism from this group.
Canada Post/Customs charges a $5.00 handling fee on shipment sent
via US Post plus whatever Sales taxes apply. Some Canadian Hams who
live near the border rent Post Office boxes in US border towns. They
take their radio purchases through the Customs shack at the border, pay
the proper customs charge (if any) and avoid the extortion mentioned
above.
Bob

Old February 8th 05, 07:43 AM
Brenda Ann

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
mike maghakian wrote:
[...]

I've gotten stuff from Germany, England, Portugal, Canada and Latvia and
NEVER have I been charged a customs fee. This includes several ham rigs and
never even HEARD of an FCC filing fee.

Old February 8th 05, 02:33 PM

On a $200.00 radio? Doesn't make sense. I bought one watch from
Canada for $250.00 and the customs broker fee was around $30.00 from
UPS. Call them...I think they made a mistake.

Old February 9th 05, 03:34 AM
uncle arnie

Let us know how this turns out. I like to hear these happy stories of the
little guy fighting the evil corporate hegemony.

Old February 9th 05, 03:40 AM
uncle arnie

-=jd=- wrote:

It doesn't matter to me if it's a US "thing" or a Canadian "thing", a
Purolator "thing" or a UPS "thing" -- those are (presumably) fees that
*can* be legitimately assessed if you have either a complacent seller or
buyer. Those combined fees, in comparison to the value of the item
purchased, are *CLEARLY* into the percentage range that would trigger a
rapturous orgasm in most any liberal politician.

That's just plain dumb, unless you have a woody for 'liberal politicians'
whatever the horse feathers you think they are. It was a profit-oriented
corporation - you know the kind of rich conservatives that Bush calls "my
base" (that's Al Quaeda in Arabic just to tie in an equally silly
connection). I think these sorts of fees are more likely to give those
sort of Scrooge McDuck types of folks tingles in their naughty bits.

Kalamazoo Cuckoo' ND8V GLENN B General 0 October 19th 04 03:15 AM
Kalamazoo Cuckoo' ND8V GLENN B Policy 0 October 19th 04 03:15 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP General 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP Policy 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM