Old February 9th 05, 03:49 AM

Whatever happened to I P Urin, Commissar etc., etc.?

Old February 9th 05, 04:10 AM
Michael Black

running dogg ) writes:
Dave Holford wrote:

RHF wrote:
MSH,
.
I have had two Canadian Sellers that wanted regular
USPS Money Orders to Cash at the USPS Post Office
on the US Side of the Border and Mailed the Radio and
the Antenna at the same USPS Post Office in the USA.
.
They both claimed that this process saved them 22%
Combined Canadian Sales Taxes; and eliminated the
Canadian / US Customs hassles and fees.
.
it worked for me ~ RHF
.
.

Not that it really matters in this context; but I have difficulty
figuring out how one gets 22% Combined Canadian Sales Taxes unless they
add an extra 7% or so for themselves. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Taking it across the border personally is definitely the solution.

Dave

I guess this is the reason why books cost 20% more in Canada than the
US-the same book, with a US price on it that's 20% less than the
Canadian price listed right below the US price.

No, that's because the two country's dollars aren't equal, and there
may be additional cost in getting it here. If a book has enough
demand in Canada, it's easier to add the Canadian price than require
someone to add a price sticker after the fact.

There is clearly quite a bit of cluelessness in this thread.

Michael

Old February 9th 05, 05:18 PM
Dave Holford

running dogg wrote:
Dave Holford wrote:

RHF wrote:

MSH,
.
[...]

I think it is more likely due to the difference in value of the Canadian
and U.S. dollars. Back when the Canadian dollar was equal to, or even a
little more valuable than, the U.S. dollar prices were about equal.

If it takes $12Can to purchase $10US one would expect a product selling
for $5US to cost $6Can. If it costs $6Can and is exported to the US I
would expect it to cost $5US - When I cross the toll bridge to or from
the US the fee depends on whether I pay in Canadian or US currency -
regardless of which I use the value is the same.

Dave
Old February 9th 05, 05:26 PM
Dave Holford

RHF wrote:
DH,
.
It is my understanding that in Canada there a
.
+ National/Federal Sales/Value Added Taxes.
.
+ Provincial/State Sales/Value Added Taxes.
.
+ Local Sales/Value Added Taxes.
.
These vary from location to location and they do Add-Up
to some rather high Double Digit Percentage Tax Rates
when one simply Buys Something at Home :-{
.
believe it or not ~ RHF
.
.

Federal Value Added Tax = GST
Provincial Sales Tax = PST (In some provinces)

Some provinces combine them into a Harmonized Sales Tax = HST

Maximum should be 15%

I don't know for certain, but I don't believe any cities have general
sales or value added taxes, although some have things like hotel taxes.

Dave
Old February 9th 05, 09:31 PM
Conan Ford

"RHF" wrote in news:1107843790.043485.225600
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

MSH,
.
I have had two Canadian Sellers that wanted regular
USPS Money Orders to Cash at the USPS Post Office
on the US Side of the Border and Mailed the Radio and
the Antenna at the same USPS Post Office in the USA.
.
They both claimed that this process saved them 22%
Combined Canadian Sales Taxes; and eliminated the
Canadian / US Customs hassles and fees.
.
it worked for me ~ RHF
.
.

http://www.taxtips.ca/provincial_sales_tax.htm

The highest rate of combined GST/PST you'll find in Canada is in Quebec,
where it is 15.5%. (1.07*1.075)

Old February 9th 05, 10:37 PM
RHF

CF,
Old February 9th 05, 10:44 PM

I am only guessing,but probally them MontrealDUH frogs.You know how it
is with them QubecDUHS,they hate all things that are not froglandiaDUH.
cuhulin

Old February 10th 05, 05:37 AM
Telamon

In article , dxAce
wrote:

uncle arnie wrote:

Let us know how this turns out. I like to hear these happy stories of the
little guy fighting the evil corporate hegemony.

I prefer to hear stories about the good folks kicking Canada's ass.

That seems to happen in this news group every day.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 10th 05, 01:58 PM
Peter Maus

mike maghakian wrote:
I bought a radio for $215 from someone in canada a few weeks ago and today I
got a bill from the carrier (purolator) company.

the main items we

estimated customs $15
brokerage fee $18
surety bond fee $30
disbursement of funds $5
FCC filing $15

total was $85 on a $215 radio

for those that have experience with this matter, or actually KNOW what they
are talking about, I have some questions.

Am I being taken for a ride ?
I didn't sign anything so why should I pay over $50 in fees to these crumbs
?
Is there a way to fight this ?

thanks

First of the year, new procedures went into place at the
Canadian border with the US. Installed by Customs on our side,
specifically in reference to items of high technology. Things are
far more complex now, than they were in December. I bought some
equipment in late December from a purveyor in Montreal. An attempt
was made to ship shortly after Jan 1 once all the funds had cleared,
and the paperwork was believed completed. The shipment bounced at
the border due to incomplete paperwork, and had to be resubmitted.
It took nearly 3 weeks just to get all the i's dotted and t's
crossed by the attorneys working for the equipment company just to
get FedEx to take the package. The delivery was finally completed a
week ago.

The package was opened and inspected at the border. Inspected
quite thoroughly, btw.

Now, all this was included in the purchase price, so there was
no additional cost to me, but all the items you present here were on
the duplicate bills of lading that came with the package.

Your recourse would lie in that neither Purolator, nor the
shipper, secured your release concering the additional charges.
Then, again, it may be presumed that, as a party to an international
transaction, you would have been aware of the procedural costs
before you entered into the transaction.

Your chances of recovery are, at best, slim.

Kalamazoo Cuckoo' ND8V GLENN B General 0 October 19th 04 03:15 AM
Kalamazoo Cuckoo' ND8V GLENN B Policy 0 October 19th 04 03:15 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP General 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP Policy 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM