Old February 9th 05, 07:47 AM

Default (OT) What Exactly Is Under The Sea?

Article at, http://wired.com/news/technology/0
Only about ten percent of what is under the Sea(s) is charted and some
of the maps are old and outdated and some Countries don't share
information about what is under the Sea(s) That is why USS San Francisco
ran into that Seamount last month.
cuhulin

Old February 9th 05, 12:09 PM
Conan Ford

Crust, and mantle.
Old February 9th 05, 03:13 PM

And according to Richard Sauder,PHD. www.sauderzone.com Perhaps some
man made underwater bases too.
cuhulin

Old February 9th 05, 09:07 PM

I don't usually stay awake after midnight,but sometimes Art Bell and
George Noory do have some Guest speakers on there who do talk about
things that do make sense.Art Bell is a Ham Radio Operator and he is a
good guy too.He once loaned Roger Fredinburg (www.regularguy.com) some
radio equipment,free of charge,so that Roger could get back on the air.I
sure don't call that being a kook.I believe Art Bell and George Noory
know most that stuff those kooks phone in about is phoney baloney,but
Hey,they are laughing all the way to the bank.
cuhulin

Old February 10th 05, 03:09 PM
Caveat Lector

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article 9,
Conan Ford wrote:

Crust, and mantle.

And if you keep going there is a hot core and then China on the other
side.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I thought the antipode of Ventura CA was in the Indian Ocean east of
Capetown South Africa
Gotta dig straight - hi hi
Just FYI
Take the latitude of the place you want to find the antipode of and convert
it to the opposite hemisphere. For example, we'll use Memphis. Memphis is
located at approximately 35° North latitude. The antipode of Memphis will be
at 35° South latitude.

Then, take the longitude of the place you want to find the antipode of and
subtract the longitude from 180. Antipodes are always 180° of longitude
away. Memphis is located at approximately 90° West longitude so we take
180-90=90. This new 90° we convert to degrees East and we have our location
of Memphis' antipode - 35°S 90°E - in the Indian Ocean far to the west of
Australia.
--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

Old February 10th 05, 04:50 PM

I heard on my radio this morning there was an Earthquake about 47 miles
North of Memphis over in Arkansas.Best not to do any digging just now.
cuhulin

Old February 10th 05, 05:16 PM

JT and Dave www.supertalkms.com (Program Lineup thingy) said the
Earthquake was a 4.2 centered about 4 miles East of Caraway,Arkansas.
cuhulin

Old February 10th 05, 05:20 PM
Caveat Lector

Twas a 4.1 magnitude earthquake 45 miles NNW of Memphis, Tennessee and
20 miles WSW of Blytheville, Arkansas

see URL:
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_uian.html

Old February 10th 05, 07:26 PM
dxAce

Caveat Lector wrote:

Twas a 4.1 magnitude earthquake 45 miles NNW of Memphis, Tennessee and
20 miles WSW of Blytheville, Arkansas

see URL:
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_uian.html

Yep and it was of course in the New Madrid fault area. We're still waiting for
the big one!, which may come one of these days. There was a 7+ in that area in
the early 1800's.

I've been in a few light earthquakes over the years in this area. The best was
down in Indiana when I was a kid.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 10th 05, 08:01 PM
David Eduardo

"dxAce" wrote in message

Caveat Lector wrote:

Twas a 4.1 magnitude earthquake 45 miles NNW of Memphis, Tennessee and
20 miles WSW of Blytheville, Arkansas

see URL:
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_uian.html

Yep and it was of course in the New Madrid fault area. We're still waiting
for
the big one!, which may come one of these days. There was a 7+ in that
area in
the early 1800's.

Actually, there were three major quakes an many aftershocks, and they were
in the 8 range.

Among them are three earthquakes that occurred in 1811 and 1812 near New
Madrid, MO. They are among the Great earthquakes of known history, affecting
the topography more than any other earthquake on the North American
continent. Judging from their effects, they were of a magnitude of 8.0 or
higher on the Richter Scale. They were felt over the entire United States
outside of the Pacific coast. Large areas sank into the earth, new lakes
were formed, the course of the Mississippi River was changed, and forests
were destroyed over an area of 150,000 acres. Many houses at New Madrid were
thrown down. "Houses, gardens, and fields were swallowed up" one source
notes. But fatalities and damage were low, because the area was sparsely
settled then.