Old February 18th 05, 06:41 AM
dxAce

Brian Denley wrote:

dxAce wrote:

No real benefit compared to sideband selectable sync, other than the
fact that you have sync. Take for example the R8 and R8A, they both
have sync on both sidebands at once, compared to the better sideband
selectable sync on the R8B.

Drake advertises the R8 and R8A as having 'sideband selectable sync' but you
have to use the passband offset to select one side or the other. Certainly
not as good as the R8B detector. Interestingly the RX-350 (and some other
receivers) give you the choice of both sides, lsb or usb. I guess if there
is no adjacent interference, the 'both' choice is OK but I still don't see
what the benefit is over a choosing the sync with one sideband.

Brian Denley

Old February 18th 05, 02:33 PM
craigm

Brian Denley wrote:
dxAce wrote:

No real benefit compared to sideband selectable sync, other than the
fact that you have sync. Take for example the R8 and R8A, they both
have sync on both sidebands at once, compared to the better sideband
selectable sync on the R8B.

Drake advertises the R8 and R8A as having 'sideband selectable sync' but you
have to use the passband offset to select one side or the other. Certainly
not as good as the R8B detector. Interestingly the RX-350 (and some other
receivers) give you the choice of both sides, lsb or usb. I guess if there
is no adjacent interference, the 'both' choice is OK but I still don't see
what the benefit is over a choosing the sync with one sideband.

Simple, it is easier to implement and cheaper.
Old February 18th 05, 04:20 PM

Well, I did say I wouldn't buy a *new* receiver that lacked sync
detection, but that's not to say that there aren't lots of older
receivers (like the Drake R7) that are worth acquiring. If I saw a good
deal on an R7, I'd be tempted. However, if I were buying a brand
spanking new receiver, I would not consider buying one without sync
detection. Especially in the case of tabletops, there's simply *no
excuse* for them not to have sync detection now. It'd be like buying a
new Mercedes sedan that lacks power steering.

Steve

Old February 18th 05, 11:18 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
Most radios have a bit higher distortion when using sync, plus there is
always going to be a slight frequency offset. Some radios will growl
trying to get the sycn. Throw the audio out on a spectrum analyzer and
you might spot a weak tone artifact due to the sync. Use it when it
sounds better, otherwise leave it off.

Sometimes there is more noise "under" one sideband than the other, so
you might use sync and pick the quieter sideband. Adjacent channel
splatter would be a good example of noise under one sideband and not
the other.

I probably use sync a few percent of the time.

I still don't under why Lowe used even implemented double sideband sync in
the HF-150 if it doesn't do anything over single sync. Why add this feature?
For what kind of scenerios??

Lucky

Old February 18th 05, 11:27 PM
dxAce

Lucky wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Most radios have a bit higher distortion when using sync, plus there is
always going to be a slight frequency offset. Some radios will growl
trying to get the sycn. Throw the audio out on a spectrum analyzer and
you might spot a weak tone artifact due to the sync. Use it when it
sounds better, otherwise leave it off.

Sometimes there is more noise "under" one sideband than the other, so
you might use sync and pick the quieter sideband. Adjacent channel
splatter would be a good example of noise under one sideband and not
the other.

I probably use sync a few percent of the time.

I still don't under why Lowe used even implemented double sideband sync in
the HF-150 if it doesn't do anything over single sync. Why add this feature?
For what kind of scenerios??

In essence though, isn't it single sync anyway? Versus the selectable sideband
sync that is in the R8B?

Can you choose which sideband you will use the sync in on the HF-150?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 19th 05, 12:22 AM
Lucky

"dxAce" wrote in message

Lucky wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Not in double sideband mode. But you can choose between USB and LSB sync
separately.

Lucky

Old February 19th 05, 06:46 AM

It takes a good ear to hear a tone 40db down. You need to listen for
it.