Old February 21st 05, 02:32 AM
Hatfield

Default Transmitters

cheapest parts source, but they won't have all you need is:

Dans Small Parts

ttp://www.fix.net/dans.html

Most complete parts source is Mouser Electronics, they have it all, so
much its hard to navigate to their page which has your part, their huge
free paper catalogue helps to find stuff online

http://www.mouser.com

Best site for plans and advice on which tiny equipment you want is
norcal qrp club, no matter where you live in the usa

http://www.fix.net/norcal.html

Best site to learn about liscensing info publications :/ is ARRL.

http://www.arrl.org

Best site to get those ARRL books quickly to you is unversal radio:

http://www.universal-radio.com

Old February 21st 05, 02:33 AM
running dogg

Only for general interest reading,are there any sites on the internet
about how to scrounge parts or where to buy parts to make very simple
Shortwave/Ham Radio Transmitters and keys? I am talking emergency boon
docks transmitters.I could do a search on the internet for that and I
probally will too,but I figure some of you Ham Radio old timers can
provide better information.Thanks.
cuhulin

If you're a tinkerer, you can buy a used ham radio HF transmitter off
one of the hamfest websites and hook it up to a car battery. If it's AC
powered (120v) you can buy an inverter that will hook up to the
terminals of the 12v car battery and give you 120v AC power. You'll need
a pretty heavy duty inverter if you're running a tube rig though, and it
will run down the battery quickly, for those reasons you'll want to
consider an early transistorized transmitter. Last I checked, some could
be had for a couple hundred bucks if you knew where to look, but that
was a while ago, ebay might have inflated prices across the board by
now. It also depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's for use
at home when an ice storm wipes out power for a week you can rig your
already existing home setup to run off car batteries. If it's for out in
the woods a tabletop transmitter might be too much to lug around, you'll
want to look into used mobile rigs.

Old February 21st 05, 03:12 AM
Telamon

In article .com,
"Hatfield" wrote:

cheapest parts source, but they won't have all you need is:

Dans Small Parts

ttp://www.fix.net/dans.html

Most complete parts source is Mouser Electronics, they have it all, so
much its hard to navigate to their page which has your part, their huge
free paper catalogue helps to find stuff online

http://www.mouser.com

Best site for plans and advice on which tiny equipment you want is
norcal qrp club, no matter where you live in the usa

http://www.fix.net/norcal.html

Best site to learn about liscensing info publications :/ is ARRL.

http://www.arrl.org

Best site to get those ARRL books quickly to you is unversal radio:

http://www.universal-radio.com

And there is always digikey.

http://www.digikey.com/

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 21st 05, 06:32 AM
Hatfield

Foxhole radio used a razor blade for the rectifier, a safety pin and a
#2 pencel led for cat whisker. The Gillette Blue Blade brand got their
color from factory fire hardening which made the surface a
semiconductor. Old stock blades are always available very cheaply on
EBAY, I don't know where in the world else???. Authentic WWII era are
single edge.

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/imag...adio_planz.jpg

A jerry-rigged transmitter would generate hash up and down the bands,
hopefully the radio police would punish }:-|

Old February 21st 05, 06:59 AM
Hatfield

"Foxhole radio" are search engine keywords. Complete kits are
available, the one I have was sold by Cornell radio, eham has reviews.

Rectifier hints:

Vintage Gillette Blue Blades got their color from factory fire
hardening which also made them semiconductors.

Ebay always has cheap packs of wwii era single edge blades.

The best pencel lead size is widely rumoured to be #2, for some odd
reason.

Old February 21st 05, 07:07 AM

The radio police can relax as far as concerning me.I wasn't interested
in actually making a transmitter and useing it,only reading about such
things is all I am interested in.I bet a car or truck or motorcycle
engine or most any old one lunger back in those WW II years could have
supplied some parts to make a radio or transmitter too.Ingenuity is the
name of the game.
cuhulin

Old February 21st 05, 07:18 AM

Back in the WW II years,some of the Swiss people used transmitters and
to get the antennas up high enough in the air because of the mountains
they used some big baloons filled with hydrogen or helium gas and the
antenna wire was which was attatched to a baloon and the other end of
the long wire was attatched to a home made reel which was usually made
of wood,sort of like a big fishing reel.When they was through
transmitting untill next time,they would use the reel to haul down the
antenna.I read about that in a Saga magazine way back in the 1950's.
cuhulin

Old February 21st 05, 07:22 AM

Or how about a spark coil and a spark plug transmitter parts from an old
engine? I am not going to try that either.
spark coil cuhulin

Old February 21st 05, 07:25 AM

Pencil lead is actually graphite,I think.It must have had something to
do with the density of the graphite,I think.I really don't know.
cuhulin