Old February 21st 05, 02:46 AM
Private

Default First post to rec.radio.shortwave --> History Lesson

Here is some shortwave trivia for you......

Below is one of the first posts ever to this newsgroup. The first
post I could find was dated November 17th, 1989.

I wonder what Ralph Brandi and Richard Shapiro are up to today? One
should thank them for creating this group a long time ago.

Lloyd

Message 4 in thread
From: Ralph Brandi )
Subject: Welcome to rec.radio.shortwave

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 1990-04-01 12:20:28 PST

Welcome to the rec.radio.shortwave newsgroup. This group was created
late in
1989 after a suggestion by Richard Shapiro, in order for those of us
who are
interested in the hobby of monitoring radio communications to have a
friendly
place to exchange messages, tips, and opinions. If you are interested
in this
sort of hobby, then we think that you will be at home here.

This is a set of monthly postings put together to answer some of the
more
commonly asked basic questions about the hobby. There is a posting
explaining
some of the basics of shortwave (HF) radio, and one covering scanning
the
higher frequencies (VHF and up). If you find that you have other
questions,
either following up items mentioned here, or other questions, please
post.
There are a number of people here with varying degrees of expertise
and
experience who are more than willing to help. We hope we've
anticipated many
of the questions the beginner will have. And so, without further
ado....

o What is rec.radio.shortwave for?

As stated above this group was created for USENETers to have a place
to discuss
the radio monitoring hobby. This group is not moderated, however
'serious'
arguments and any kind of flame wars are strongly discouraged. That
is not to
say that genuine disagreement and discussion of differing opinions is
not
welcome. We only ask that you keep the tone friendly, and in the
spirit of
international cooperation upon which the hobby is founded.

This group is intended to be a place where ANY radio monitoring topic
can and
should be discussed. We are happy to hear from posters who listen to
any part
of the radio or microwave spectrum, from DC to daylight. We discuss
topics of
almost any kind, ranging from (but not limited to) shortwave
broadcasting,
scanning of all kinds, clandestine and pirate broadcasts, DXing small
or
distant shortwave stations, utility and teletype monitoring, military
eavesdropping, the ECPA, station schedules, QSLing sw broadcasters,
spectrum
usage, equipment design and modifications, antennas, receiver reviews
and
recommendations, and many more.

Despite what the newsgroup name might imply, we definitely DO NOT
limit
discussions to shortwave only. Those of you who are interested in
scanners and
VHF/UHF/etc. will find that you fit right in.

For more in-depth answers to questions you may have, we direct your
attention
to the postings entitled "Welcome to rec.radio.shortwave (Shortwave)"
and
"Welcome to rec.radio.shortwave (Scanning)", depending on where your
interests
lie.
--
Ralph Brandi att!mtune!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.
Old February 21st 05, 03:08 AM
Brian Hill

om...

Why don't you ask him. http://www.brandi.org/ralph/

Here's his log page: http://www.brandi.org/logs/

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old February 22nd 05, 06:00 AM
starman

Private wrote:

Here is some shortwave trivia for you......

Below is one of the first posts ever to this newsgroup. The first
post I could find was dated November 17th, 1989.

I wonder what Ralph Brandi and Richard Shapiro are up to today? One
should thank them for creating this group a long time ago.

Lloyd

I suspect they are disgusted with how their group has been hijacked by
OT idiots.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:55 PM
Michael Lawson

"starman" wrote in message
Private wrote:

Here is some shortwave trivia for you......

Below is one of the first posts ever to this newsgroup. The first
post I could find was dated November 17th, 1989.

I wonder what Ralph Brandi and Richard Shapiro are up to today?

One
should thank them for creating this group a long time ago.

Lloyd

I suspect they are disgusted with how their group has been hijacked

by
OT idiots.

I'd imagine that they thought that way once the big online
services started getting access in the early-mid 90's. I
remember the crap hitting the fan when AOL (and there was
another one before them) came on board the newsfeeds.
At the same time, several people on a couple of the other
ng's I've read in the past wouldn't have been there without
the blanket access of an AOL or MSN, so you take the good
with the bad.

--Mike L.