Old February 21st 05, 03:11 AM
norhumbco

Default Rookie Question

I'm trying to decide what to buy for my first SW radio. I'm considering the
Sony 7600GR or the Sangean AT-909. Can anyone give some pros or cons of
each? Or suggest another? Maybe just personal preferences. Also, I will
probably buy from Amazon(by far the lowest prices I've found), are there any
fair warnings I should know about.

Old February 21st 05, 03:33 AM
Brian Denley

norhumbco wrote:
I'm trying to decide what to buy for my first SW radio. I'm
considering the Sony 7600GR or the Sangean AT-909. Can anyone give
some pros or cons of each? Or suggest another? Maybe just personal
preferences. Also, I will probably buy from Amazon(by far the lowest
prices I've found), are there any fair warnings I should know about.

The Sony has a syncronous detector. This is a coveted feature that helps
very much with selective fading.

--
Brian Denley

Old February 21st 05, 03:34 AM
mike0219116

My first radio was a 909.

I wish it would have been the 7600GR. With it's synch, it is better for
broadcast listening, which was the reason I got into shortwave in the first
place.

m...

Old February 21st 05, 04:38 AM
Michael

"norhumbco" wrote in message
m...
I'm trying to decide what to buy for my first SW radio. I'm considering
the
Sony 7600GR or the Sangean AT-909. Can anyone give some pros or cons of
each? Or suggest another? Maybe just personal preferences. Also, I will
probably buy from Amazon(by far the lowest prices I've found), are there
any
fair warnings I should know about.

Hiya... I have a Sony 7600gr and I love it. It is a good performer in
general and it has a ssb selectable sync detector. That feature really
helps out for broadcast listening. It is also VERY good to use for medium
wave (AM broadcast) DX'ing.

The 909 has a lot of great features too, but it does not have a sync
detector and it is very well known for being a weak performer using only its
whip antenna. If you can hook it up to a good external antenna, its
performance is quite good to excellent. Given that it has so many other
features, I think it may be a better radio in a lot of cases if you want to
use it like a table top base receiver.

So... If you plan to use your new radio as a "portable" off the whip for
broadcast listening, I'd choose the 7600gr. If you want to set up a nice
external antenna and use a radio for dx'ing, I'd get the 909.

Still, that is not to say that you cant use the 909 as a portable off the
whip or use the 7600gr as a table top base with an external antenna. The
7600gr is just better to use as a portable for broadcast off the whip and
the 909 has more features that would make it the better choice to set up as
a base receiver.

Michael

Old February 22nd 05, 05:53 AM
starman

norhumbco wrote:

I'm trying to decide what to buy for my first SW radio. I'm considering the
Sony 7600GR or the Sangean AT-909. Can anyone give some pros or cons of
each? Or suggest another? Maybe just personal preferences. Also, I will
probably buy from Amazon(by far the lowest prices I've found), are there any
fair warnings I should know about.

I'd go with the 7600GR because of it's sync' detector. The 909 is a
close second because it has a tuning knob, but no sync'.

Old February 23rd 05, 01:16 AM
tianli_

"norhumbco" wrote in message
m...
I'm trying to decide what to buy for my first SW radio. I'm considering

the
Sony 7600GR or the Sangean AT-909. Can anyone give some pros or cons of
each? Or suggest another? Maybe just personal preferences. Also, I will
probably buy from Amazon(by far the lowest prices I've found), are there

any
fair warnings I should know about.

If you are certain you want a "portable" receiver then as has been mentioned
you can't go wrong with the Sony 7600GR in its price class. It is the least
expensive receiver that also has a Sync-Detector. I use mine as my main
"portable workhorse".

Keep in mine the closer you get in price class to around $250-$300 you are
better off looking for a used table top receiver unless you absolutely need
a portable.

I have ordered through Amazon before and haven't experienced any problems.

Also consider a good book like "Passport to Worldband Radio", also available
through Amazon.

Old February 23rd 05, 03:30 AM
running dogg

tianli_ wrote:

"norhumbco" wrote in message
m...
I'm trying to decide what to buy for my first SW radio. I'm considering

the
Sony 7600GR or the Sangean AT-909. Can anyone give some pros or cons of
each? Or suggest another? Maybe just personal preferences. Also, I will
probably buy from Amazon(by far the lowest prices I've found), are there

any
fair warnings I should know about.

If you are certain you want a "portable" receiver then as has been mentioned
you can't go wrong with the Sony 7600GR in its price class. It is the least
expensive receiver that also has a Sync-Detector. I use mine as my main
"portable workhorse".

Keep in mine the closer you get in price class to around $250-$300 you are
better off looking for a used table top receiver unless you absolutely need
a portable.

It used to be that a good used Japan made Sony 2010 could be had for
$200-$300. Ebay has inflated prices somewhat, so I don't know if the OP
can still find such a good deal. But if he can spend $300 he'd be better
off looking at the ham website classifieds or any real life hamfests if
there are any in his area for a 1980s tabletop. Most of these have
digital readout and tunable SSB, and they are more sensitive and
selective than the vast majority of portables. I think that only the Sat
800, which has tabletop circuitry, would be the only portable equal to
even a 20 year old tabletop, and the 800 isn't exactly easily portable.
I bought a Japan made 2010 in 1999 for $200 and traded it a year later
for a Yaesu FRG-8800, which is much better than the 2010 in many areas.
And the 2010 was considered the best portable for its entire 15 year
production run. Unless one needs to have a portable, I'd recommend
saving your money and buying a used tabletop. Tabletop circuitry and
features haven't changed much in 10 or even 15 years since portables are
where the big money is at, but for serious SW listening and DXing a
tabletop is a must have.

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM