Old February 24th 05, 09:47 PM
Tebojockey

Default Vanuatu 7260

It does seem to be back on the air!

I'm in the Northern Mariana Islands and have been monitoring this freq
around it's alleged sign-on time of 1900 GMT (0500 Local) and detect a
carrier there, faint but steady, but if there's any modulation, it's
way the hell down there. Gotta report in to the station by 0730 and
the carrier just doesn't pick up by then. Came home in the evening
and decided to try again and there it was at 0948 GMT on 7260. Pretty
good carrier, but only about 70% modulation, so it wasn't very loud at
all. Playing island music and 100% positive English ID at 0950 by
female announcer. QRM from amateur ops and still a bit of a pile-up
on frequency under their carrier

On the other hand Papua New Guinea's catholic Radio Network with 1 kW
on 4960 has a nice fair signal in here also at 1900 GMT. Been
chatting with the engineer who installed the tx'er and he's passed my
info on to the Fr. who runs it, and I hope for some sort of QSL. Word
is they're not set up for QSLing, but maybe some social engineering
will pull it off.

Also VL8A Northern Territories Shortwave Service with 50 kW on 2310
kHz has a nice signal here at 1720 GMT. Still, I think it ought to be
stronger with 50 kW, but am unsure of what type of antenna they use.
Waiting on QSL

Lastly, Radio Nationale Lao, Sam Neua HP comes in here with
traditional Lao flute mx on 4649 kHz at 1015 GMT. Probably no QSL
chance here, but I'll try....

R. Nasionaly Malagasy on 5010 heard here at 1810 GMT w/pop music until
positive station ID in malagasy/FR and national anthem/sign-off at
1900.

RTM Malaysia also booming in here on 7295 at 1030 GMT with hip-hop
music and "Useless Facts About Your Body." Actually has a pretty
talented DJ during this time!

Al

Old February 24th 05, 10:08 PM
Mark

Al,

Some good stuff you've been listening to!

I just tried Vanuatu, but there not currently on-air (7260).

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

"Tebojockey" wrote in message
[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old February 24th 05, 10:10 PM
dxAce

Tebojockey wrote:

[...]

Just send them a prepared QSL card for them to sign and stamp.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 25th 05, 03:52 PM
Guy Atkins

Vanuatu has been fading in around 0800, here in the Pacific NW USA.
Reception has been best in USB.

CRN on 4960 has been weaker than during the summer but winters are not the
best time for PNG reception in this part of the USA, in my experience. I
would call them fair at best, unlike the good to very good signals I had in
July 2004.

Madagascar on 5010 is always very tough for me. My best reception in years
was on Feb. 8th when they were at equal level with AIR Thiruvananthapuram,
which usually dominates the frequency.

I don't know if I've ever heard the 7295 RTM frequency you noted, but
Malaysia on 4895 is often a powerhouse here, lasting well past sunrise.

You're in a great location for monitoring Asian DX... your reports on r.r.s.
are appreciated.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
mod. IC-756Pro & mod. R-75
Kiwa MAP / ERGO
450 & 700 ft. W & NW Beverages

Old February 27th 05, 09:49 PM
Tebojockey

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:10:55 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Tebojockey wrote:

[...]

dxAce..you mean Catholic Radio Network? No snail mail address
available...do you happen to have it? It's not on their website
(which is sponsored by some evangelical association on PNG) nor in the
WRTH 2005. I'm hoping the Fr. will get back to me...I plan to blast
off another email today...don't want to pester too much or risk
poisoning the waters for all and good.

Al

Old February 27th 05, 10:10 PM
dxAce

wrote:

Tebojockey wrote:

[...]

Well, you might try:

Radio Station 4960
Catholic Radio Network
Vanimo
Papua New Guinea

I'd put a prepared card in with it, and an addressed envelope, and maybe a dollar along
with your report.

It might just work.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 28th 05, 06:16 AM
Tebojockey

wrote:

Tebojockey wrote:

[...]

Yeah, you're right. What the heck. At the most, I'll be out $2!
Hope this works. Thanks!

Al