Old March 4th 05, 04:06 AM
BDK

In article , says...
Hiya...

Here is one I could use some help with.... As always, I'm always trying to
improve my sw listening capabilities. I have an R-75 and two very good
antennas on my roof. One is a G5RV and the other is a 200 foot wire that
utilizes a coax feed and matching transformer. Both are very good antennas.
I've thought about getting a new radio to improve my capabilities and I've
tried a few radios on loan from friends. Those radios include the NRD-545,
R8-A and R-5000. I've come to the painful conclusion that the performance
problem for me isn't my radio or my antennas. Both are good. The problem
for me is my area. I live in the northern NJ suburbs and it is a very noisy
area. I've read a bunch of web pages on antennas, but I haven't really
found any antenna solutions that boast to be ideal solutions for noisy
areas. I've got a fairly good understanding about antennas, but I'm not
advanced.

Does anyone have ANY ideas as to what would be an ideal antenna solution
that would offer me some improvement as far as increasing signal into my
radio and limiting noise ???

Money is no object, and neither is effort. I'll spend money on an "out of
the box" solution as well as put time into an elaborate home brew project.
Performance is key.

If it would help to know more about my current antennas, detailed info about
both of them is on my web page. The link is in my signature. Any
suggestions would be most welcome.

What kind of noise?? Like powerline type stuff?

I had a bad transformer about a half mile from here and when it started
up, it was amazingly bad. I had to track it down myself (wasn't hard to
find, just a short walk with the dog and I could hear a nearly identical
sound like the noise I heard on all my radios, BZZZT!!
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!, and an occaisonal SNAP! SNAP! When I called the
electric company, I got the, "Oh, that one's on our list!" About six
months later, it wasn't done and was still about 6 months away from
being replaced. A direct hit by lightning moved it all the way to the
top of the list a few days later. It was well worth the 5 hours without
power to finally get it fixed.

BDK
Old March 4th 05, 10:58 AM
Ron Hardin

See what an ANC-4 does for you; if there's a single noise source
that's most important, it will knock it out. Just use any two
of your antennas as inputs.

Even if it doesn't help the noise (say it's coming from all over)
you can amuse yourself listening underneath MW stations for the
what's there.
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 4th 05, 08:04 PM
CW

If money is really no object, move (of course, if I lived in NJ, I would
move regardless of the listening conditions). A few acres out in the middle
of nowhere would be good. Since you probably want to stay where you are,
first thing I would suggest is to get the antennas off the roof and as far
away from the house as possible. Of course, feed them with coax so the noise
from the house doesn't come in on the feedline.
"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Old March 4th 05, 10:39 PM
Michael

Thank you all for the info... I'm going to put up a Wellbrook loop on a
rotator in the spring. It should be interesting to see how that helps.

Thanx again, all !!!!

Michael

"Jack Painter" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote
[...]

Michael, you might try the "Wellsbrook Loop" that is so famous in the
noisy
city-gardens of England. Since the interference you suffer from is not
from
your own property, the noise-limiting "Hear It", Time-Wave or other
processors might also help.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Old March 4th 05, 11:22 PM
Michael

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Thu 03 Mar 2005 07:57:55p, "Michael" wrote in
[...]

Before spending a dime, I would do my best to identify/locate the noise
sources -OR- identify a location that is least affected (as much as
possible) by the noise. That will lead you to the best site for your
antenna. It's possible that you may stumble across some way to deal with
the noise sources by possibly relocating/reconfiguring your existing
antennas

Then if the sources of the noise are beyond your control, and if doing
something with your existing antennas isn't feasible or won't help, I'd
start thinking about a loop on a rotor. Shielded loop, magnetic loop,
tuned
loop -- all are easy to home-brew. The rotor would be your biggest
expense,
but it could be one of the smaller/less expensive ones. As for the rest,
pvc pipe, fittings and wire are cheap. If it's going to be mounted
outside,
your loop options are many...

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know the results.

-=jd=-

Hiya... I dont think there is really any way to isolate what the noise
source is... I think there are too many of them.. Houses here are close
together and there are power lines all over the place. Noise could pop up
for any of a hundred sources. I'm going to try a Wellbrook 330S loop on a
rotator. I'll put a mast up on the roof and rig it all up in the spring.
It probably will help given that the Wellbrook 330S seems to be known as a
very good antenna for noisy areas. I think that may be my best option other
then moving out of the area... I hear a lot of good things about Arizona
:-)

Thanx again !!!

Michael

Old March 4th 05, 11:27 PM
Señor Sombra

You might try and borrow a Clear Speech Speaker
Many find it is very effective on a variety of noises
See Heil Audio URL:
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/cle...ch_speaker.htm
--
Lamont Cranston
A shadow of my former self

Old March 4th 05, 11:49 PM

I know a guy (Michael Smith at Army.mil) who was in Vietnam with me in
1964 and he is from New Jersey.He once said he escaped New Jersey and
never looked back.One time at Tan Son Nhut www.tsna.org I says to
Michael,I says,Michael,let's catch that Navy shuttle bus to Saigon and
get us some wimmins.At first he didn't want to go but I talked him into
it.We caught that bus and went to Saigon.He went to a bar and drank
beer,I went and found me a woman.A couple of years ago we were emailing
back and forth with each other untill I reminded him about that time he
backed an Army truck into one of those tall wooden poles that had those
lights up there on top of that pole and he knocked that pole flat on the
ground.He never did email me anymore after that :{)
cuhulin

Old March 4th 05, 11:58 PM

There are illegal aliens coming across our borders from Mexico to
Arizona and California and New Mexico and Texas and they might steal
your Wellbrook antenna and anything else that isn't locked up or nailed
down.There are drug wars going on along our Southern borders too.There
is lots of wide open areas here in Mississippi.And we have very mild
winters here too.My front yard needs mowing already.
cuhulin

Old March 5th 05, 12:32 AM
Michael

wrote in message
There are illegal aliens coming across our borders from Mexico to
Arizona and California and New Mexico and Texas and they might steal
your Wellbrook antenna and anything else that isn't locked up or nailed
down.There are drug wars going on along our Southern borders too.There
is lots of wide open areas here in Mississippi.And we have very mild
winters here too.My front yard needs mowing already.
cuhulin

Mississippi ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Holey red mud in the tires !!!!

Old March 5th 05, 02:39 AM
CW

"BDK" wrote in message

I had a bad transformer about a half mile from here and when it started
up, it was amazingly bad. I had to track it down myself (wasn't hard to
find, just a short walk with the dog and I could hear a nearly identical
sound like the noise I heard on all my radios, BZZZT!!
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!, and an occaisonal SNAP! SNAP! When I called the
electric company, I got the, "Oh, that one's on our list!" About six
months later, it wasn't done and was still about 6 months away from
being replaced. A direct hit by lightning moved it all the way to the
top of the list a few days later. It was well worth the 5 hours without
power to finally get it fixed.

BDK

Did they ever figure out who hooked the lightning rod to it?