Old March 5th 05, 12:48 PM
RHF

DX Ace,
Old March 5th 05, 02:50 PM
David

On 5 Mar 2005 04:48:54 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

Yes - Rush Limbaugh could be on Shortwave Radio
and Heard 24/7 Around the World

That would be the final nail in the HF broadcasting coffin. Look,
unless you're in the middle of nowhere there are much better ways to
get the variety of programming once exclusive to HFBC. It's the 21st
Century people.

Old March 5th 05, 09:43 PM
RHF

DaviD - Yes it is the 21st Century.
Old March 5th 05, 09:47 PM
RHF

DX Ace,
Old March 6th 05, 03:33 AM
David

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 18:41:45 -0800, running dogg wrote:

David wrote:

I have been getting my news almost exclusively from International
Broadcsters for decades. I do read the local rags for local news.
The best day of my International Broadcasting life was when XM started
offering the BBC World Service 24/7 in HIFI, followed by Sirius with
BBCWS News and WRN. I have my shortwaves for hobby purposes, my news
craving has moved on.

What will you do when XM and Sirius drop the BBC or "censor" it the way
the satellite services do with CBC's As It Happens? I figure it will
happen about the time that the US government comes for our radios. You
seem very concerned about that, but not about the fact that anything
that comes over a satellite can be censored or dropped by the well
connected corporation that provides the satellite service. Like with TV
satellite, just TWO big corporations control satellite radio. THEY
control what you hear and don't hear. With shortwave, *I* control what I
hear (well, me and the ionosphere, but at least the ionosphere can't be
controlled by a big corporation or a government-yet). That alone makes
shortwave superior to a corporate controlled, fee for service satellite
media source. When the US government censors satellite as heavily as
they do broadcast and cable media, deciding what gets to be aired and
making sure there's nothing "seditious" there that might give the sheep
ideas, shortwave will still be there, still giving UNFILTERED news from
a multitude of countries (well, there's still the propaganda factor to
consider, but at least shortwave content is not passed through a couple
big all powerful entities), and still unblockable, uncensorable, and
defying all attempts at jamming. I suspect the day will come when
posessing a shortwave radio is a capital offense in the US, like it is
in North Korea, and the ultimate in news sources is illegal to listen to
precisely because the government cannot control it. Government can
control MW/FM/broadcast TV, cable TV, and satellite services, but they
can't control shortwave.

On 5 Mar 2005 16:01:21 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

DaviD - Oh So America-Centric of 'you' !
.
MW/FM Radio is what ever your native country allows to be heard.
.
The Internet is what ever your native country allows in via the WWW.
.
Worldspace, Sirius and XM offer a very limited 'global' coverage.
.
The 1M, 10M, 100M or more Un-Reachable People of the World
International Shortwave Radio can be the Door-Way to News
and Information that is un-filtered by their native countries.
.
expand your mind - get the big picture - hear 'the rush' ~ RHF
.
.

The government doesn't censor regular radio. The regular radio
censors itself.

I didn't say I was going to sell all my radios. I'm keeping them
handy. Right now, though, I'm really digging the freedom to tune into
the Beeb or Radio Australia or Koln without any static.

The American people are so freaked-out and scatterbrained already the
government sees no need to be overtly restrictive on the flow of
information. People don't even notice the bad news when it's right in
front of them.

Might as well go down in flames with full-bandwidth audio, don't you
think?

Old March 6th 05, 03:34 AM
running dogg

RHF wrote:

DaviD - Can 'you' Get This - It's NOT About 'you' [.]
.
Its' About the "Un-Reachable People" of the World being able
to Hear International Shortwave Radio; and having a Door-Way
to News and Information that is un-filtered and not controlled
by their native countries and governments.
.
me, Me. ME ! - the world according to david ~ RHF
.
[ Rush Limbaugh 24/7 on International Shortwave Radio World Wide. ]

In Sacramento we have an FM station called Howard 93.7. "Howard in the
morning...Stern all day". Yes, they play Howard Stern 24/7. Whoever
thought this up should be shot. I suspect that Rush 93.7 would be about
the same, just the opposite end of the spectrum. Who wants to hear the
SAME GUY ranting on and on all the time, except followers of Gene Scott?
That said, I suspect that Rush Limbaugh will have very little interest
in him outside of the US. His commentary is very America centric, and he
represents a political bloc that doesn't exist in other English speaking
countries.

Old March 6th 05, 03:36 AM
David

I listen to the Coast Guard and other Utilities.

The SWBC bands are a very small fraction of the HF spectrum.

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:58:00 -0800, running dogg wrote:

David wrote:

Between MW/FM, the internets, Worldspace, Sirius and XM, there aren't
that many ''unreachable'' people left. Certainly not enough for most
countries to justify the expense of maintaining a fleet of 250 kW
transmitters around the world.

Just as I thought. You really don't care about shortwave, just about
spreading your ideology. Well, go spread it someplace else, like
talk.politics.misc, or alt.conspiracy. The same goes for Al Patrick, who
is more interested in the narrow ideology of the kooks on shortwave
rather than on getting the many varied viewpoints shortwave offers. I
suspect that most of the people here aren't really concerned about
shortwave as a hobby, just about finding another outlet for getting
"news" that agrees with their worldview. Well, there's something on
shortwave for everybody, but try stepping outside your closed little
world and listening to viewpoints other than yours.

On 5 Mar 2005 13:43:59 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

DaviD - Yes it is the 21st Century.
.
However Shortwave Radio is still one of the best ways
Today to 'reach' the Un-Reachable People of the World.
.
Rush Limbaugh on Shortwave Radio to be Heard 24/7 Around the World.
[ Every Conservative's Dream -and- Every Liberal's Nightmare ]
.
dream on, Dream On. DREAM ON ! ~ RHF
.
.

Old March 6th 05, 10:57 AM
RHF

RD - Hello it's a Metaphor.
Old March 6th 05, 03:56 PM

I don't understand why clear channel would want to broadcast on
shortwave. Shortwave is just a medium, and not many people have the
equipment to receive on that medium in the US. There is a reason that
shortwave is dominated by government and privately owned stations that
are subsidized by non-advertising money. The reason is small audience
and no advertisers equates to no profit.

Broadcast FM & MW and satellite FM have a much much bigger base of
listeners and clear channel will go where the advertising and
subscription money is. I have to admit that it would indeed be
humurous to have Rush Limbaugh holding forth next to bible pounders,
survivalists, denizens of the Montana forest and those who are still
sure the commies are still poised to invade the U.S. via Mexico. Rush
has a loyal group of followers now so why risk losing some by switching
to a relatively unkown medium like shortwave. It would make as much
sense to broadcast on LW.

I'm still completely confused by: "Substitute the Name "Rush
Limbaugh" for any of the Top 25 AM/FM
Talk Radio Talents. Put each of them on Three Hours a Day which
equals Eight Regular Hosts Around-the-Clock Monday thru Friday
with several other Hosts representing 'different voices' featured
during the Week-End."

Old March 6th 05, 04:05 PM
dxAce

[...]

Switching? who mentioned switching? Rush was on WRNO years ago because the owner
liked his program and decided to air it.

If Rush were to air the ENTIRE program (it is on AFN currently for one hour), it
would be in 'conjunction with' his current line-up of over 600 stations and not
a 'switch' to shortwave.

Some of you out there need to learn how to think things through.

Yes, I know you're 'confused', but give thinking a tryout, you might like it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA