Old March 5th 05, 02:54 AM
Dr. Artaud

Default 9990 KHz

First, for the conspiracists, look, it's actually 6660 upside down. Very
ominous.

Anyway, listening to 9.985 today, I experienced quite a bit of
interference from 9.990. Has this station been on the air long? From a
cursory search on Google, it seems like it was an Egyptian station, but I
didn't spend much time researching it. The time was around 1800 UTC.

Later this evening, I again crossed through 9990, and it sounded like
Arabic, the singing the prayers stuff where one could picture a man
standing in a tower with a loud speaker addressing scads of kneeling men.

Anyway, this time was about 2230 UTC, and the prayers were being sung,
with English translation of each segment following. Being that I am
Christian, I didn't linger for very long (lack of interest), but when I
again came back to the frequency at 2245 UTC, the station was nothing but
a hideous heterodyne sounding whine. Of course, I believed that the
station was being jammed (I don't know jack about jamming). Anyway, I
listened until 2300 UTC, and the carrier and whining sound dropped
entirely.

Apparently, this was being broadcast by the station itself, but why? Foul
up, (mistake), technical failure, some other abstruse reason?

Any comments on this issue? Any experience with this station concerning
interference. Today wasn't exactly a stellar propagation day, so I don't
know if I see this problem again or not.

Dr. Artaud

Also, for the news hounds,
http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...Z_01_L04539736
_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-IRAQ-DC.html

The 57 year old Italian Female Journalist that was captured and tormented
by the Iraqis, filmed writhing in agony asking for the Italian army to
leave Iraq as a condition for her release, was finally released by her
tormentors.

U.S. forces in Iraq mistakenly opened fire on the convoy taking her to
safety, wounding her and killing an Italian secret service agent.

How come this is so predictable?
Old March 5th 05, 03:30 AM
running dogg

Dr. Artaud wrote:

[...]

9990 is indeed Radio Cairo, broadcasting in several different languages
to Europe at that time, according to Passport. I know you're Canadian,
so depending where you are in Canada this could be a very good logging,
especially considering the poor conditions. According to Passport, this
particular broadcast goes off the air at 2245 or so, so you could have
just heard them powering down their transmitter. Considering that Egypt
is infamous for modulation problems, it doesn't surprise me that
powering down their tx involves a massive heterodyning. Somebody else in
the group mentioned that WWCR's 9985 freq was being interfered with.
I'll have to tune in tomorrow and see if I can hear this station.

Old March 5th 05, 04:34 AM
Dr. Artaud

running dogg wrote in :

Dr. Artaud wrote:

First, for the conspiracists, look, it's actually 6660 upside down.
Very ominous.

Oops, 0666 is 9990 upside down, not 6660, for some reason this thought
occurred to me while I was watching Monk, hmmm.

Thanks much for the response. I'll need to pay attention to this frequency
as well over the next several days.