Old March 9th 05, 05:01 PM
radiolove

Default Serial number importance for Sony-2010

Ok I have question for anyone that can help. I'm looking for a Sony
2010 and I'd like to know why there is such an importance placed on the
serial numbers for this unit. Is there a better range of numbers to
look for? Some people say a lower number is better then a higher one.
What about a number like 366000 something like that. Could someone
shed some light on this and explain why it's so important. What do you
recommend?

Old March 9th 05, 05:37 PM
David

Why would you want one of those klunky old beasts?. Run like Hell!

Old March 9th 05, 06:13 PM
Tom Sevart

"radiolove" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok I have question for anyone that can help. I'm looking for a Sony
2010 and I'd like to know why there is such an importance placed on the
serial numbers for this unit. Is there a better range of numbers to
look for? Some people say a lower number is better then a higher one.
What about a number like 366000 something like that. Could someone
shed some light on this and explain why it's so important. What do you
recommend?

I don't know exactly what the significance of the serial numbers are, but it
could have something to do with the fact that this radio was in production
for 20 years. I think there is a date code of some sort in the serial
number but don't remember what it is.

--
Tom Sevart
Frontenac, KS

Old March 9th 05, 06:34 PM
radiolove

Thats funny, for a radio that's been in production for 20 years
something must have been pretty damn good about it. Anyways it's my
favorite. A lot of the old stuff is much better then the crappy
garbage made in china today. Can't beat the sony-2010 and other
Japanese made electronics. Simply the best. That's QUALITY. Like it
used to be.

Old March 9th 05, 06:42 PM

I owned one for several years and really enjoyed it. The details
escape me, but the very early ones had some problems that were
corrected almost immediately. With that serial number you should not
have a problem. Just check it over thouroughly and make sure all
functions work correctly and that all keys respond as they should with
no sticking. Also check for any evidence of battery corrosion. It is
not a small radio, although it is still a portable.

Old March 9th 05, 06:45 PM
Mike S.

In article .com,
radiolove wrote:
Thats funny, for a radio that's been in production for 20 years
something must have been pretty damn good about it. Anyways it's my
favorite. A lot of the old stuff is much better then the crappy
garbage made in china today. Can't beat the sony-2010 and other
Japanese made electronics. Simply the best. That's QUALITY. Like it
used to be.

Back in 1987 or so, when the 2010 was first released (I owned one of the
first) I remember the Q&A column in Monitoring Times - then printed
tabloid size on newsprint.

replied that it was large, expensive, and didn't really have anything
unique to distinguish it enough to sell them.

Subsequently they added it, and it became their all-time best seller.
So much for the experts!

Old March 9th 05, 08:02 PM
starman

radiolove wrote:

Thats funny, for a radio that's been in production for 20 years
something must have been pretty damn good about it. Anyways it's my
favorite. A lot of the old stuff is much better then the crappy
garbage made in china today. Can't beat the sony-2010 and other
Japanese made electronics. Simply the best. That's QUALITY. Like it
used to be.

I heard that the later models were made in Taiwan. Can someone confirm
this?

Old March 9th 05, 10:03 PM
Mark

If you join this group, you'll see there is a serial number database for the
Sony ICF-2010 / ICF-2001D (Identical radios, 2010 for the USA, 2001D for
rest of the world. There were also some model variations where frequency
coverage was limited (for example, no Air band) for certain parts of the
world.)

Mark
Auckland
New Zealand.

ups.com...

Old March 9th 05, 10:14 PM
Mark

"Mike S." wrote:

Back in 1987 or so, when the 2010 was first released

Mike, the 2010/2001D was around before 1987. I bought my 2001D in Chile,
early in 1986.

I think the radio was introduced in late 1984.

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old March 9th 05, 10:19 PM
dxAce

Mark wrote:

"Mike S." wrote:

Back in 1987 or so, when the 2010 was first released

Mike, the 2010/2001D was around before 1987. I bought my 2001D in Chile,
early in 1986.

I think the radio was introduced in late 1984.

Made in Japan from 1985 to 2001.

dxAce
Michigan
USA