Old March 10th 05, 01:15 AM
Henry Kolesnik

I bought mine used so I don't know its age but my serial number is 1001xx
and it was made in Japan. I wonder if the FCC ID AK896AICF-2010 contains
anything more than the date of approval?

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"radiolove" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok I have question for anyone that can help. I'm looking for a Sony
2010 and I'd like to know why there is such an importance placed on the
serial numbers for this unit. Is there a better range of numbers to
look for? Some people say a lower number is better then a higher one.
What about a number like 366000 something like that. Could someone
shed some light on this and explain why it's so important. What do you
recommend?

Old March 10th 05, 02:45 AM
Telamon

In article .com,
"radiolove" wrote:

Thats funny, for a radio that's been in production for 20 years
something must have been pretty damn good about it. Anyways it's my
favorite. A lot of the old stuff is much better then the crappy
garbage made in china today. Can't beat the sony-2010 and other
Japanese made electronics. Simply the best. That's QUALITY. Like it
used to be.

The first sentence in this post may just answer the question you raised
in your previous post.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 10th 05, 07:45 AM
Nicolas Boretos

radiolove wrote:
Ok I have question for anyone that can help. I'm looking for a Sony
2010 and I'd like to know why there is such an importance placed on the
serial numbers for this unit. Is there a better range of numbers to
look for? Some people say a lower number is better then a higher one.
What about a number like 366000 something like that. Could someone
shed some light on this and explain why it's so important. What do you
recommend?

Hi,

AFAIU, the serial number thing was/is mostly a concern as to whether the
unit has diode protection when using an external ariel. The front end
of this unit is quite sensitive and has been known to blow the first
fet, Q303, from static discharges. The (very)early units did not have
these diodes installed from the factory, while later ones did....

The fet is getting a bit tough to source easily...but they are still
around... and there are other fets that can be used.

Additionally, it is said that later models use more smt than the earlier
ones. I cannot confirm/refute this....

I also do not know whether there is a direct connection between sn and
the model type. Some 2001d's either came w/o air band, 26Mhz max, and a
gap in the bands somewhere...But this is easy to determine...

As someone else said, there's a yahoo group on this radio...

hope this helps...

regards,
nikos

Old March 10th 05, 10:16 PM
RHF

RadioLove,
Old March 13th 05, 03:14 AM
radiolove

A big thank you to everyone that responded to my questions. It is much
appreciated and was very helpful !