Old March 9th 05, 06:53 PM
atomicthumbs

Default I confess...

Sometimes I use a radioteletype signal to lull myself to sleep. Anyone
else do things like this?

Old March 9th 05, 07:39 PM

I rely on large quanties of ALE

Old March 9th 05, 11:57 PM
Buzzygirl

wrote in message
oups.com...
I rely on large quanties of ALE

Heh!! Good one.

I have sometimes gotten drowsy just by listening to static. Which I don't
like to do, but sometimes reception's crappy. What can you do? Oh yeah, turn
off the radio, I guess!

Jackie

Old March 10th 05, 12:45 AM
Michael

"atomicthumbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sometimes I use a radioteletype signal to lull myself to sleep. Anyone
else do things like this?

No, but when the "wood-pecker" was around, it would make me drowsey
listening to it. Almost hypnotic. Either that, or it would make me want to
smash the radio. Depended on my mood, I guess. I can just hear it now....
psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht
psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht
psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht psht
psht psht psht ... and so on...

Michael

Old March 10th 05, 01:27 AM
Brian Denley

atomicthumbs wrote:
Sometimes I use a radioteletype signal to lull myself to sleep. Anyone
else do things like this?

It works better if you stare at the o'scope.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 10th 05, 02:19 AM
Greg

From: "atomicthumbs"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 9 Mar 2005 10:53:51 -0800
Subject: I confess...

Sometimes I use a radioteletype signal to lull myself to sleep. Anyone
else do things like this?

George Noorey on "Coast to Coast" works for me - knocks me right out It's
like static but with commercials.

Greg

Old March 10th 05, 04:07 AM
Tony Calguire

atomicthumbs wrote:

Sometimes I use a radioteletype signal to lull myself to sleep. Anyone
else do things like this?

I have, at various times, been lulled to sleep by...

- numbers stations
- VOLMET and HF Aero comms
- HF Marine
- R. Australia and R. New Zealand
- L.Am. tropical banders
- CFRB (well, CFRX actually)
- Radio Mil, when they used to be heard fairly easily on 6010

Is Radio Mil still there on 6010? I haven't listened in a couple years.
Old March 10th 05, 05:06 PM
Rupert Goodwins

On 9 Mar 2005 10:53:51 -0800, "atomicthumbs"
wrote:

Sometimes I use a radioteletype signal to lull myself to sleep. Anyone
else do things like this?

I used to listen to weather balloons - radiosondes - when they used AM
tones on HF. Very eerie series of almost-repeating tones in a strict
rhythm, drifting in and out somewhere around the otherwise silent
reaches of 26MHz in the middle of the night. Occasionally, you'd get
an ionosonde sweeping through.

The balloons are now all on UHF and FM data, so they just go
chuff-chuff-chuff. Not the same, not the same at all.

Old March 10th 05, 05:07 PM
atomicthumbs

That works for me too, but if I try, I can stay awake for the entire
thing. They haven't been as interesting lately.

Old March 10th 05, 05:10 PM
atomicthumbs

I wouldn't be able to hear anything on sideband w/ my little KA-1101...
I'm going to buy a 7600GR soon.