Old March 11th 05, 01:37 PM

Default DSP survey

Do you have a DSP unit (either built-in or external)?

If so, what percentage of the time to you have it switched on?

Do you use it for AM reception or do you use it only on SSB and other,
more 'specialized' modes?

What's the main thing you like/dislike about your DSP?

Steve

Old March 11th 05, 03:47 PM

I have used a Radio Shack DSP40 for the last 5 years.
It is usefull under bad band conditions and can really
clean up hetrodyne. In the CW mode it allows one
CW singal to be "extracted".
The downside is it "muffles" decent audio, in fact I get
a headache if I use it too much. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes
max.
I have just traded for a PCR1000 that has the added
internal DSP. It works but not as completly as the DSP40.
But it mangles the audio less and does a fairly good job.
I haven't used the PCR1000 on HF that much, it overloads
very easily. The DSP module does mak eth PCR1000 run
about 20C hotter. Hot enough so I added aslowpeed 12V
muffin fan to cool the case. The fan is congtroled by the
DCT or CTS, whichever RS232C line the PCR100 asserts
when active. Would I buy a PCR1000 new, or pay the
addtional ~100+$ for the DSP, no way. It was part of a trade
and I plan to use it for local "emergencies", like the winter storm
that is supposed to hit us this evening. I plan on buildng different
frequency list to dump in and use it more as a VHF scanner then
anything else. Even for this use the PCR1000 is awkward
requiring a PC or palm pilot. I also got a Pro2067 that may be
better suited to my plans.
Terry

Old March 11th 05, 11:18 PM

If you are in the market to buy some hardware-based DSP, you may
consider
downloading one of the free software-based DSP programs to experience
what
it can do. Google "SR5-DSP" and try that. There are others out there as

well...

Good luck with it!

-=jd=-

I've read about various software-based DSP programs and some of them
look really interesting. However, I don't care to have my receiver
connected to a computer. I did operate this way for a while and I
appreciate the advantages, but on the whole I don't care for it.

I use one of the ClearSpeech units and am very happy with it, but I've
noticed that some people are much happier with DSP than others. I'm
curious about whether this is because DSP is just better adapted to
certain kinds of listening or whether it's entirely a matter of
personal preference. Anyway, my curiosity about this is one of the
things that motivated me to start this thread.

Steve

Old March 12th 05, 07:42 AM
Lucky

wrote in message
ps.com...
Do you have a DSP unit (either built-in or external)?

If so, what percentage of the time to you have it switched on?

Do you use it for AM reception or do you use it only on SSB and other,
more 'specialized' modes?

What's the main thing you like/dislike about your DSP?

Steve

Steve,

I use the DSP whenever there is too much garbage on the frequency or band
like static, scratchiness, some solar bull****, etc, in any mode. It really
helps with Hams and SSB but works well with AM too {at least the Icom
unit}.

I use it pretty often. Like one fellow buff said you can't have too many
tools to help hear signals better. The human ear can really differentiate
subtle changes and it makes listening more pleasant and less stressful all
around.

What I don't like about it is too much DSP can distort sound and take some
fidelity away,

But, you can live without it. I mean it's not like it's so fantastic it's
gonna change your life, but it helps

Lucky

Old March 12th 05, 04:02 PM
Panzer240

wrote in message
ps.com...
Do you have a DSP unit (either built-in or external)?

If so, what percentage of the time to you have it switched on?

Do you use it for AM reception or do you use it only on SSB and other,
more 'specialized' modes?

What's the main thing you like/dislike about your DSP?

Steve

While I have a PCR-1000, it does not have the DSP filter. However I have
not purchased one because the reports of it's usefulness vary widely. It's
kinda like Keiths's India Pale Ale, those who like it, like it a lot !!

So I use a software based sound card one. While I have tried many, the one
I keep coming back to is called the BR-Universal-Filter. It has the usual
bank of features and seems to do a good job for me. I only use it when
interference makes it necessary. It has a DSP off feature and 5
customizable programmable settings, so I usually have the program running
in DSP Off mode until I need it.

You can find a copy of it he

shareware.pcmag.com/product.php%5Bid%5D75206%5Bcid%5D201%5BSiteID%5Dpc mag

Hope it helps

--
Panzer