Old September 20th 03, 02:32 AM
Mike Coslo

Default Radio Amateurs of Canada - Morse Code Survey Results Published

Leo wrote:

asked the Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC, our ARRL equivalent) to
advise as to what Canadian amateurs want to do with respect to the
Morse testing requirement.

RAC set up an online survey on their website for the month of August,
and invited all Canadian amateurs (both members of RAC and non-members
alike) to voice their opinions. The results have been tabulated and
published, and has been presented to the RAC Board of Directors for
discussion with IC in the near future. The following web site has the
details:

http://www.rac.ca/news/mresults.htm

Basically, the majority (overall 66%, or two out of three respondents)
is in favour of dropping the Morse requirement for access to the HF
bands. Similarly, 69% are in favour of modifying the Basic exam,
presumably to increase its relevance to operating on HF. For those of
you south of the border, the numbers are quite interesting, and may
give you some insight into the statistics you might find within the US
Amateur community. I was surprised, for example, at the percentage of
Advanced with Morse (our 'Extra') licence holders who are in favour of
dropping it - 52% - and we're the guys who 'paid the dues' and made it
to the top rung of both theoretical and Morse capability!

The same process was used to review reducing the Morse requirement
from 13 WPM to 5 WPM a couple of years ago - Industry Canada went
along with the recommendation the Amateur community (via RAC) - it is
anticipated that they will in all likelyhood do so again, as this is
obviously the will of the majority. Not all of us, not by a long
shot - but clearly, the majority!

In short, it certainly looks like it is only a matter of time before
Canada drops the Morse requirement for HF. But we may have an
opportunity to raise the skill level of those who enter Amateur Radio
through more relevant (and maybe more rigorous) testing.

Well if you raise the skill level, it will just keep people out of Ham
radio. That has been one of the reasons cited for getting rid of the
code test. It won't do just to increase the entrance requirements, which
will partially defeat the purpose.

To close with a quote from a famous Canadian, Marshall McLuhan (the
media visionary and professor who conceptualized the "Global Village"
and the impact of high-speed communications way back in the '60s):

"The past went that-a-way. When faced with a totally new situation, we
tend always to attach ourselves to the objects, to the flavor of the
most recent past. We look at the present through a rear view mirror.
We march backwards into the future."

Perhaps being knowledgeable about RF matters is also in the past, Leo. A
person can pick up a rig, a linear and an antenna without knowing
anything about RF electronics. He/she can pay someone to put it up, and
can be talking in no time. Given this, why should there be any
requirements at all?

(suggested antenna is a 1/4 wave dipole) 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 20th 03, 03:07 AM
Leo

Good points, Mike - my comments are below:

Well if you raise the skill level, it will just keep people out of Ham
radio. That has been one of the reasons cited for getting rid of the
code test. It won't do just to increase the entrance requirements, which
will partially defeat the purpose.

There are advantages to having more people in Amateur Radio - not the
least of which are more voices to oppose things like BPL. And, less
unused bandwidth, which could be taken away and reassigned to
commercial iterests if we don't utilize it.

On the other hand, bringing in large numbers of less-skilled operators
defeats the purpose of Amateur Radio, which I recall was to develop a
pool of skilled radio operators.

The concept of modifying the test is a middle ground - by adding
questions on actual practical HF operation, for example, we would
ensure that new amateurs could go and set up and operate their station
without undue interference to others. A good thing, I believe, and
one that would raise the level of 'professionalism' amongst the novice
Amateur operators.

Perhaps being knowledgeable about RF matters is also in the past, Leo. A
person can pick up a rig, a linear and an antenna without knowing
anything about RF electronics. He/she can pay someone to put it up, and
can be talking in no time. Given this, why should there be any
requirements at all?

There are legions of operators out there today who operate 'point and
shoot' equipment - the level of technical knowledge and ability has
most certainly deteriorated as a result. Not many construct their own
equipment any more, not even antennas. But, the price of admission to
the Amateur ranks is testing of theoretical knowledge - this keeps
those who are unwilling of making the commitment from oprating
(legally) on our frequencies. As it always has been, and should be.
Without this, we would become a variant of CB.

(suggested antenna is a 1/4 wave dipole) 8^)

....for some of the incognoscenti on the air, I'd recommend a 1/4 wave
stub

- Mike KB3EIA -

73, Leo

Old September 20th 03, 04:08 AM
Jim Hampton

Leo,

For more gain than that 1/4 wave stub, consider a 1 foot dish for 160
meters. With a 1/1000 wavelength dipole at the focal point, you should be
able to get some interesting results.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

...for some of the incognoscenti on the air, I'd recommend a 1/4 wave
stub

73, Leo

---

Old September 20th 03, 02:30 PM
Mike Coslo

Leo wrote:
Good points, Mike - my comments are below:

Well if you raise the skill level, it will just keep people out of Ham
radio. That has been one of the reasons cited for getting rid of the
code test. It won't do just to increase the entrance requirements, which
will partially defeat the purpose.

There are advantages to having more people in Amateur Radio - not the
least of which are more voices to oppose things like BPL. And, less
unused bandwidth, which could be taken away and reassigned to
commercial iterests if we don't utilize it.

On the other hand, bringing in large numbers of less-skilled operators
defeats the purpose of Amateur Radio, which I recall was to develop a
pool of skilled radio operators.

Yup. Keep in mind I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here Leo - but with
a bite. The arguments that can be used against testing are good ones.

I'm a firm believer in a well educated ARS. I think we have to work on
and decide just how much rf savvy the average ham has. I like to be
surrounded by people who are both knowledgeable and those who are eager
to learn. Just like on my hockey team, where I recruit both decent
athletes and those who are working hard at becoming good hockey players.

I like being around savvy and hard working people. I think it improves
the situation.

The concept of modifying the test is a middle ground - by adding
questions on actual practical HF operation, for example, we would
ensure that new amateurs could go and set up and operate their station
without undue interference to others. A good thing, I believe, and
one that would raise the level of 'professionalism' amongst the novice
Amateur operators.

Yes indeed. I really hope that the new people coming into the ARS are
accepting of the occasional reminder of being out-of-band, or splatter
or all the other things that are often deficient in newcomers. I thank
goodness that there were people to correct me when I needed it.

Perhaps being knowledgeable about RF matters is also in the past, Leo. A
person can pick up a rig, a linear and an antenna without knowing
anything about RF electronics. He/she can pay someone to put it up, and
can be talking in no time. Given this, why should there be any
requirements at all?

There are legions of operators out there today who operate 'point and
shoot' equipment - the level of technical knowledge and ability has
most certainly deteriorated as a result. Not many construct their own
equipment any more, not even antennas. But, the price of admission to
the Amateur ranks is testing of theoretical knowledge - this keeps
those who are unwilling of making the commitment from oprating
(legally) on our frequencies. As it always has been, and should be.
Without this, we would become a variant of CB.

Yup, and that is my major point, even if I'm arguing it as devils
advocate. We are at a crossroads now. The removal of Morse Code if it
happens (and no doubt in my mind it will) is one of the major changes in
amateur radio to come along in a while. I want a savvy ARS, but if we
don't watch it, we can end up with relative anarchy.

Good posting Leo.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 20th 03, 07:11 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Leo wrote:

[...]

Lets make it even easier. After this station is payed for, and installed by
a professional.....a 'check out' is then initiated by hooking the end of
the coax that comes from the transmitter to the left ear......and tune for
maximum smoke?

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 20th 03, 10:13 PM
Brian

Dick Carroll wrote in message ...

Yes, Leo, you'r also the country which allows all comers to enter as
immigrants, with no ID or any proof of who they are or what they plan to
do. All in the name of "inclusivity" or some such nonsense. Come one, come
all.

Terrorist? Who cares?

Then they cross our border.
Old September 21st 03, 03:32 AM
Leo

Dick / Brian,

Not sure what relationship this has to either Amateur Radio or the
news that I posted....I must have accidentally cross-posted to
alt.jingoism and alt.fearmongering again!

Sorry 'boot that, eh?

73, Leo

Old September 22nd 03, 02:15 AM
Brian

Leo wrote in message . ..
Dick / Brian,

Not sure what relationship this has to either Amateur Radio or the
news that I posted....I must have accidentally cross-posted to
alt.jingoism and alt.fearmongering again!

Sorry 'boot that, eh?

73, Leo

Leo, no-sweatty dah (Korean for no-sweat). I'll have to give a visit
to alt.jingoism and fearmongering. Wonder what they said about the
9/11 anniversary?
Old September 22nd 03, 03:18 AM
Leo

Here in Canada stand firm with you on that one - that was by far the
greatest tragedy to befall the US (and North America) in the history
of the world, and certainly cannot be condoned. You will find a
contingent of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan with your troops right
now, as they have been for almost two years, working with you to hunt
down and destroy Al-Qaida. There is no safe haven here - this country
has no tolerance for terrorists. Neverless, people do get in who
should not get in (in the US as well as here) - you can't stop them
all.

However, this was am Amateur Radio thread, and your comment was off
topic. And, as a Canadian, I do take exception to the
oversimplification that the terrorists all come through here due to
our incredibly lax immigration policies - if that were true, the
Canada - US border would be (and should be) sealed and guarded to end
that from happening. I live a mere 45 miles from the border, and it
is as open as it ever was (although more vigilant in checking IDs in
the computer systems, in both directions, into Canada as well as the
US), so I assume that the threat cannot be that great. It has never
been conclusively proven that Canada is an entry point for the
terrorists (it was suggested just after 9/11, but disproven later).
And, even if they do enter the US at the Canadian border, do your
Customs guys just rubber stamp their visas and welcome them in? I
don't think so...

Let's stay on topic, and remember that we are both neighbours and
brothers in this issue!

73, Leo

Old September 24th 03, 08:16 PM
Paul Erickson

Leo writes:

asked the Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC, our ARRL equivalent) to
advise as to what Canadian amateurs want to do with respect to the
Morse testing requirement.

RAC set up an online survey on their website for the month of August,
and invited all Canadian amateurs (both members of RAC and non-members
alike) to voice their opinions. The results have been tabulated and
published, and has been presented to the RAC Board of Directors for
discussion with IC in the near future. The following web site has the
details:

http://www.rac.ca/news/mresults.htm

snip

73, Leo

Hi Leo, and RAC did their typical job of making sure their CW
agenda has the guise of widespread canadian amateur approval.

Noone I know knew of the survey, and I strongly suspect that
if the majority of canadian amateurs had really been aware of it,
the results would probably have been different.

I have discussed the issue over the years with a number of
directors, and Jim Cummings, and cannot express
my disgust at the way it was handled.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT