Old March 14th 05, 02:27 PM
David

Default Where do the battery covers go?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:35:48 -0500, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

Just curious - I notice that some of the radios on eBay are described as
missing the battery cover. I'm just curious; where do they go? I can
understand missing manuals, broken antennas, etc. But how do you lose a
battery cover? Would anyone ever take one off and then set it aside,
instead of putting it back on the radio? Anyone here ever "misplaced" one?

Parallel universe.

Old March 14th 05, 02:29 PM
Rob Mills

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message

Anyone here ever "misplaced" one?

No but I picked up a mint DX380 (Sangean 505) at an estate sale for $5
because it didn't have the covers. Luckily the shack still had the covers
and the pouch/cover for it. Just last week I saw a real clean Lafayette (a
blast from the past) portable at an estate sale minus it's covers, didn't
feel like I would be lucky enough to come up with covers so left it
sit and walked out the door with a real clean Versa tuner 2 for $5. RM~

Old March 14th 05, 03:16 PM
SheAnon

Ha well done David -- but don't forget the two most offending gremlins

The kids and the dawg

--
C. L. - Reader Beware
--

"David Stinson" wrote in message

Unrevealed Source wrote:

... But how do you lose a
battery cover? ....

There are "cover gremlins," just as there are sock
gremlins and screw gremlins. You can disassemble a radio,
put it back together and you usually will either have
screws that mysteriously go missing, or extra screws
that don't seem to go anywhere. The Screw Gremlins,
which live on the inside of the power sockets nearest
your bench, either take screws from you or
leave ones with which they have become bored.
They consider this a "fair exchange" over time.
Same with Sock Gremlins: put three matched pairs
of socks in the dryer and out will come either
two pairs and one odd sock, one pair and four
unmatched socks, seven odd socks or any other
combination. Cover Gremlins are, however,
much more greedy; they almost never return your
covers and, if they do, they break them first.
There is no cure for them; they are just
a fact of the radio life.
The Duct Tape Gremlins do help somewhat with
this problem; they are responsible
for the five or six loose, partial rolls of duct tape
you can always find if you move stuff around enough.
Sympathies,
David S.

Old March 14th 05, 04:46 PM

They get lost the same way radio knobs and socks get lost.The same way
nuts and bolts and washers and all kinds of crap get lost when I am
working on my old wrecks on the ground in my back yard.
cuhulin

Old March 14th 05, 05:39 PM
wavetrapper

It's a well orchestrated conspiracy spearheaded by the duct (duck) tape
industry.

Old March 14th 05, 06:03 PM
BDK

In article hvgZd.55219$xt.53572@fed1read07, says...
You obviously don't own a dawg or have any children.

It's kind of funny, I used to have a dog that was a chewing machine. I
got him on April 15th of 1985, and that night, I insanely bought a new
car! In the first week, he ate a hunk of carpet about 12"x18", and the
sound deadener sheet under it(asphalt and recycled fibers), the door
panel on the back rear door and he also chewed off the door handle too,
along with the radio wiring when the original radio died and I was
waiting for the replacement. He ate furniture, carpet, wall trim, a door
edge in the house, and housebreaking took forever. Finally, after
destroying a lot of stuff, he finally stopped, and housebreaking
followed soon after. It took about a year to get him to always poop
outside!

I guess most people would have gotten rid of him, but he turned out to
be my favorite dog of all, and lived to 14.5 years. I got a break with
the two I have now, they chewed about 3 days, and didn't have the jaw
power the last one did. Housebreaking took a week..

But he never, ever touched one of my radios, or the half dozen coaxes
that he could get to, or the power cords. My cat found out that biting a
live power cord isn't fun. It knocked him across the room and he
screamed louder than I thought he possibly could. Other than some minor
burns on his mouth, he was fine, but he never bit a cord again! If you
have ever had the "Pulp Tester" at the dentist, you can imagine what it
must have felt like.

They didn't need to use a drill in the movie "Marathon Man", the pulp
tester was worse, and left no marks! I have had it twice, and I came
very close to kicking the Dentist's ass when he touched it to the tooth
a second time. The pulp tester is used to see if a tooth is still alive,
and if it is, it's unbelievable. I've had some 3rd degree burns on my
right hand (making my own fireworks, DUMB!!), and it was a picnic
compared to the pulp tester. Nothing I have ever felt has come close to
the pulp tester for sheer pain. At least it only lasts a second or so..

A friend thought I was BSing about it until he fell and knocked three of
his teeth loose. He didn't go to the Dentist until three days later, and
he found out the meaning of pain! LOL, now he knows I wasn't
exaggerating!

BDK
Old March 14th 05, 07:35 PM

They didn't need to use a drill in the movie "Marathon Man",

Me: three root canals.

Actually, I don't fear root canals, as they alleviate the pain. They
are nothing to be afraid of.

Old March 15th 05, 02:17 AM
Ernie

Try one from an Army Dentist in the field

No Numbing at all!

oups.com...

Old March 14th 05, 07:48 PM

They are small, and fall out and get lost. Thin plastic tabs that hold
them in place may break off. Lots of reasons. Same reasons they seem
to disapper from remote controls.