Old March 16th 05, 02:48 AM
mike0219116

Fred Osterman's 3rd Ed. of "Shortwave Receivers Past & Present" rates
the R-4C as five stars new and four stars used. He also calls it, "An
outstanding amateur receiver."

Old March 16th 05, 06:36 AM
Telamon

In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

TM,
.
Many people would not think twice about spending
$1000 to $2500 every 3-5 of years for a 'new' Computer.
.
But how many of us in the Shortwave Listening Hobby
would make the BUY Decision that easily for a 'new'
$1000 to $2500 Radio/Receiver every 3-5 of years ? ? ?
.
it's about perceived value = time-of-use and enjoyment ~ RHF

I have spent more that that.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 16th 05, 07:51 AM
RHF

Telamon - Alas the 'exception' that proves the rule ~ RHF
Old March 16th 05, 11:19 AM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:08:06 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Go tote it!

Tote what, 'tard boy? Your brain? That's easy - if I can find
something small enough to put it in.

You just keep taking your meds... it'll be all right.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 16th 05, 01:07 PM

Sync detection is important, but it's not everything. The S800 has
great sound, and yes, it has good sync detection (though there are
other (recently discontinued) 'portables' with better). It's a good
portable receiver housed in a grossly oversized plastic body. It will
always deliver portable performance because that's what it was designed
for. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not reasonable to expect
the S800 to equal an R8 in overall performance. Or look at it this way:
If the S800 even came close to the R8 in overall performance, the R8
would really have to suck....which it doesn't.

Sometimes I have the feeling that we're not "allowed" to subject the
S800 to the same kind of critical scrutiny that we routinely subject
other receivers to, and I don't understand that. (I'm not saying that
this is Jim's attitude, but it's an attitude I encounter periodically
here and elsewhere.) The 800 is a good receiver. It can withstand the
scrutiny well enough. We don't have to pretend that the S800 is the
best receiver ever made! It's great to be 'loyal' to a particular make
or model, but jeez...at some point we have to get a grip!

Steve

Old March 16th 05, 02:12 PM

Try responding to the question with an answer rather than dodging with
another question. Again:

Really...now that is a statement sounds like it is making a point when
it really isn't. Please tell me what you are really saying. Surely
you can't be saying that China will only change when the CCP has
completely disappeared. Surely all the change that I have read about
for the past 20+ years isn't a figment of some reporter's imagination
is it?

Are you saying that the only change that will occur in China will
happen after the CCP has completely disappeared? If so, how do you
account for all of the change that has been reported in the last 20
plus years.

Or are you just trying to make a coy political statement without
backing it up.....

Li Changchun wrote:
Have you lived there? Or are you just a couch political anal-ist?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Really...now that is a statement sounds like it is making a point

when
it really isn't. Please tell me what you are really saying.

Surely
you can't be saying that China will only change when the CCP has
completely disappeared. Surely all the change that I have read

about
for the past 20+ years isn't a figment of some reporter's

imagination
is it?

Li Changchun wrote:
wrote
I'm not sure shortwave will prove to be a viable
alternative to the net in China. The governmental net controls

are
far
from perfect right now. I see a gradual loosening of controls

on
society in general and the net in particular as China becomes

more
secure in it's position as a major economic and political

player.

The only thing that will "loosen" anything in China is when the

CCP
is hung
up on the rafters.

Old March 16th 05, 02:13 PM
Michael Lawson

"mike0219116" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fred Osterman's 3rd Ed. of "Shortwave Receivers Past & Present"

rates
the R-4C as five stars new and four stars used. He also calls it,

"An
outstanding amateur receiver."

Yeah, it seems to be a good amateur receiver, but a
general coverage shortwave receiver it ain't.

--Mike L.

Old March 16th 05, 05:01 PM
dxAce

Michael Lawson wrote:

"mike0219116" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fred Osterman's 3rd Ed. of "Shortwave Receivers Past & Present"

rates
the R-4C as five stars new and four stars used. He also calls it,

"An
outstanding amateur receiver."

Yeah, it seems to be a good amateur receiver, but a
general coverage shortwave receiver it ain't.

The R-4B with a bunch of extra crystals or coupled with the FS-4 synthesizer was
much better for SW dx'ing.

The R-4C was indeed (and may still be) a better ham radio receiver.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 16th 05, 07:04 PM
Chuck Hanavin

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Michael Lawson wrote:

The R-4B with a bunch of extra crystals or coupled with the FS-4 synthesizer was
much better for SW dx'ing.

The R-4C was indeed (and may still be) a better ham radio receiver.

Ok so the thread has changed, from Drake R-8 to R-4, speaking of
Drakes, I was wondering if the SPR-4 was better or worse reciever
than r-4? I never fooled with r-4, but have tried spr-4, my major complaint with that it it a little too selective and audio quality lacking.

Chuck