RadioBanter

-   -   Drake R8B... Discontinued! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/66772-drake-r8b-discontinued.html)

dxAce March 14th 05 04:10 PM

Drake R8B... Discontinued!

Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 04:15 PM

dxAce wrote:
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

That's weird. I wonder why they didn't just come out and tell me it was
discontinued? Anyway, this is very sad.

All I can say is: SNAP 'EM UP!! You won't be able to purchase them new
much longer!

Steve

David March 14th 05 04:19 PM

15 years ain't a bad run. I hope they continue to support it for
another 15 years.

dxAce March 14th 05 04:34 PM

dxAce wrote:

Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

I just got done speaking on the telephone with Universal, they indicate that
they have three (3) R8B's left in stock and that is going to be it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 04:38 PM

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Steve

John Plimmer March 14th 05 05:34 PM

A very fine receiver indeed.
Drake going out of serious SW radio manufacture is very sad.
There is a long line of very fine Drake receivers going back decades.
The Drake R7A remains an awesome performer even to this day.
My review of the Drake R8A/B in Werner Funkenhausers WHAMLOG confirms they
are venerable radio's.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

dxAce March 14th 05 05:55 PM

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Update from the website:

"Universal Radio has one left as of 03/14/05 12:30 P.M. "

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 06:11 PM

Sad to see yet another maker of high end receivers pull out of the
market. Especially one with so many historic ties to the SWL hobbyist.
It is as the old Petula Clark song goes: A Sign of the Times.

dxAce March 14th 05 06:19 PM

dxAce wrote:

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Update from the website:

"Universal Radio has one left as of 03/14/05 12:30 P.M. "

Now added "Please call to confirm availability".

Probably gone by the end of the day.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce March 14th 05 06:26 PM

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Update from the website:

"Universal Radio has one left as of 03/14/05 12:30 P.M. "

Now added "Please call to confirm availability".

Probably gone by the end of the day.

Now... at 1825, the page says discontinued... the last one Universal had must
have been sold.

dxAce
Michigan
USA