Old March 16th 05, 11:33 PM

Default Question about AM radio reception, equipment, and expectations

After reading some of the sites dedicated to extending the broadcast
range of regional radio stations, it occurred to me that I could avoid
paying the NFL for streaming broadcasts of NFL games not available in
my area.

I'm particularly interested in pulling in the big Chicago AM radio
station 780 WBBM. I'm a transplant Bears fan that now lives in the
Tampa area.

Is it possible to get reliable reception from that distance, with say a
GE AM/FM "SuperRadio" III, 7-2887? Or am I just dreaming.

Thanks,
Mark

Old March 17th 05, 12:03 AM
RHF

DX Ace & M Ball,
Old March 17th 05, 02:48 PM
Jay

You could also try to see if you can get it on a good car radio (most OEM
radios have decent am's in them). Whether or not you can receive it reliably
has much to do with their particular coverage...the 50 Kilowatters vary
tremendously in their coverage areas. I find that "listenable" nighttime
reception of 600-700 mile distant signals on decent radios is about
50/50...meaning they can vary from excellent some nights to non-existent
others.

Since there are so many variables, you won't know for sure whether it is
possible unless you try it for yourself over several nights. And, of course,
as someone else said, you will get no listenable daytime reception at that
distance.

Jay
"David" wrote in message
On 16 Mar 2005 14:33:30 -0800, wrote:

After reading some of the sites dedicated to extending the broadcast
range of regional radio stations, it occurred to me that I could avoid
paying the NFL for streaming broadcasts of NFL games not available in
my area.

I'm particularly interested in pulling in the big Chicago AM radio
station 780 WBBM. I'm a transplant Bears fan that now lives in the
Tampa area.

Is it possible to get reliable reception from that distance, with say a
GE AM/FM "SuperRadio" III, 7-2887? Or am I just dreaming.

Thanks,
Mark

Sirius Satellite offers WBBM NFL coverage.

www.sirius.com

Old March 17th 05, 03:16 PM

Here goes that old refrain again.(I once read somewhere) Look around in
the auto junk yards in your area for Japanese auto/pickuptruck radios
which date back to the 1980's.I once read somewhere on the intenet that
some of those older model Japanese auto radios are good at picking up
long distance AM stations.(Shortwave is the higher end of AM) Someone in
this news group probally knows more than I do about that and can tell
you how to properly set up older model auto radios to use in your home.
cuhulin

Old March 17th 05, 03:53 PM
Richard Fry

Mark wrote:
I'm particularly interested in pulling in the big Chicago AM radio
station 780 WBBM. Is it possible to get reliable reception from
that distance, with say a GE AM/FM "SuperRadio" III, 7-2887?

_____________

There are a fair number of stations operating on 780kHz from Mexico and
Cuba, with night-time operations that will be a problem for you, no matter
what receiver you use. Probably the worst interferer will be CKMC in Moa,
Cuba with 1kW of night-time power, non-directional.

I live about 275 miles from WBBM, and their night-time signal here often has
fairly weak, but audible Spanish programming under it from one or more
co-channel stations.

RF

Old March 17th 05, 06:50 PM
dxAce

David wrote:

Nothing beats a tube radio for long distance medium wave reception.

Nothing?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 05, 07:15 PM
David

An R390 or 390A is superior to any sandbox. Your average 5 tube
superhet from the early 60s is superior to 99.99% of the transistor
radios around today.