Old March 19th 05, 09:51 PM

Default G.E.AM/FM/Shortwave Radio

I went over to my old buddys house today to get my freebie haircut.(he
won't let me cut his hair though,I told him he should get his wife to
cut his hair but he wont do it) He owns a very nice G.E.AM/FM/Shortwave
floor model radio that belonged to his grandmother.The radio is in
excellent condition as far as the wooden cabinet and all of the other
exterior parts such as the dial and the knobs are concerned.I have known
about the radio since back in the 1960's and the radio just sits on top
of a bench shelf in his shed in his back yard and he said the radio
works too.Of course the radio does have nostalgia value to him.Every
once in a while I ask him about that radio.I have known him since 1954
and he said if he ever decides to sell that radio he will sell it to
me.I was looking at the radio this afternoon,the Shortwave band scale on
the dial ranges from 2.5 and on up to about 4.0 It is a beautifull old
radio,it stands about waist high or higher.It dates back to the early
1940's or earlier.I might look around on the internet and see if I can
find a picture of a radio that looks just like his radio.
cuhulin

Old March 19th 05, 10:14 PM

I think that was one of the really early Sangean models first marketed
by C. Crane.

Steve

Old March 19th 05, 11:21 PM

To compare that fine old G.E.Radio with that over priced and over rated
plastic crap! that sangean makes and that crappy ass company ccrane
sells is beyond the Pale.I will never! mention that G.E.Radio in this
news group ever again! I think I will wind up buying that G.E.Radio from
my old buddy.Why? because a few weeks ago he sold his 1973 Chevrolet
pickup truck that belonged to his dad.
cuhulin

Old March 20th 05, 02:12 AM

Unt Uhhhh,, I say you are the dork.What are you,canaDUHian?
cuhulin

Old March 20th 05, 02:16 AM

Hereafter,I classify all dorks as canaDUHians whether they are from
canaDUH or not.I am neither.
cuhulin

Old March 20th 05, 02:38 AM
Honus

wrote in message
Hereafter,I classify all dorks as canaDUHians whether they are from
canaDUH or not.I am neither.

Come on, cuhulin...you're fooling no one. We all figured out long ago that
you're a Canadian posting as an American in order to make all of us -real-
Americans look like ignorant hillbillies. You've simply overplayed your
hand. It's time to quit.

Old March 20th 05, 03:03 AM
m II

Honus wrote:

Come on, cuhulin...you're fooling no one. We all figured out long ago that
you're a Canadian posting as an American in order to make all of us -real-
Americans look like ignorant hillbillies. You've simply overplayed your
hand. It's time to quit.

Drats. Foiled again. Good thing most people have very short memories. I will
continue to 'make' him post as normal. By tomorrow, NOBODY will remember this
little hickup in my evil plan.

As a little side note, do you realize just how easy it was to make this persona
so much more intelligent sounding than the Ace? The script virtually wrote itself.

mike
Old March 21st 05, 05:01 PM
running dogg

[...]

It would be easier just to get a model number off the radio. If it has
the 88-108 Mhz FM band it dates from after 1945, because that's when
that band was implemented. If it has the 42-50 Mhz FM band then it is
quite rare, since that band was only used for a few years prior to World
War 2. However, I doubt this is the case, since there probably weren't
ever any 42 Mhz band FM stations in Mississippi. Anyway, get a model
number and you can find out the year from that, just ask around in
rec.antiques.radio+phono.

Old March 21st 05, 05:08 PM

To find out much about it you will need the model number.

I have my eye on a 1930's floor model radio sitting in the rafters of a
relative's garage. I put the model number and makers name into a
google search and came up with a ton of info. The mahogany is still
beautiful, it has a tuning eye and internal rotatable antenna. All I
gotta find is the room.