Old March 20th 05, 09:33 AM
Lars Brandt

Default Problem with tuning knob on Lowe HF 150.

Hi ,
Is there anybody have experince of a Lowe HF-150? On mine there is a
"crunchy sound" from the speaker when you turn the tuning knob.
It has been so from the beginning.When I have my fingertips on the upper
part of the case the crunchy sound reduces.
Is this phenomen normal for the HF-150 or it should be quite when you turn
the tuning knob?
Shall the tuning knob be connect to earth?
Thankful for all help
Lars

Old March 20th 05, 02:37 PM

It shouldn't happen so long as you're listening at normal volume
levels, though the user's manual does state that you can expect some
vibration to occur if you turn the volume up high.

The solution is to get a decent external speaker. You ought to use an
external speaker anyway. Only an external speaker will do justice to
the high quality audio produced by the 150.

Steve

Old March 20th 05, 06:16 PM
Lars Brandt

Hi Steve
I don't think the problem is feedback vibration from the speaker. I have
listen even in headphones and then the speaker is quite.It is when I turn
the tuning knob I can hear a rassle sound even in the headphones.
/Lars
ups.com...

Old March 20th 05, 11:05 PM
Pete KE9OA

It could be the bypass caps at the encoder inputs of the MCU, but more
probable is either noisy series diodes at the Channel A and B encoder
outputs or a noisy tuning encoder. Looking at mine, it appears to be a
mechanical encoder vs an optical unit. Another thing to check are the bulk
decoupling capacitors on the front panel display board. If the MCU isn't
properly bypassed because of degraded 'lytic caps you could be experience
ground bounce. It shouldn't be too bad to find, but I have had repairs in
the past that have started out as "a ten minute job".

Pete

Old March 21st 05, 04:37 AM
Dale Parfitt

"Lars Brandt" wrote in message
Hi Steve
I don't think the problem is feedback vibration from the speaker. I have
listen even in headphones and then the speaker is quite.It is when I turn
the tuning knob I can hear a rassle sound even in the headphones.

Are you using an external antenna with a decent RF ground? Not unusual to
hear encoder noise when using the atached whip and internal preamp.
Grounding the RX will eliminate this.

Dale W4OP

Old March 21st 05, 04:48 AM

Could it be it only needs cleaning with some tuner cleaner fluid?
cuhulin

Old March 21st 05, 08:12 AM
Pete KE9OA

I didn't realize that this could happen under these conditions. I use a
Radio Shack loop antenna and it works ok on the MW band, but maybe the
antenna noise overrides this phenonemom.

Pete

Old March 21st 05, 05:59 PM
Lars Brandt

No I use a whip antenna and no ground connection.
Is it neccesary to connect RX to ground? I have no good ground connection in
my flat.
So it is normal with noise from the tuning knob if I don't have connetion to
ground?
//Lars

Old March 21st 05, 09:42 PM

Some of my old radios make a raspy.skritticy noise when I tune the dial
knob and or the on/off/volume control knob.Sometimes I squirt a little
dab of tuner cleaner stuff (or even WD-40) from a spray can and the
noise stops for a while.I don't know that much,but I do not believe it
is normal for any radios to make any noises that are abnormal when
tuning the dial knobs or the on/off/volume control knobs.I could be
mistaken though.I do definetly know WD-40 works great for my old
arthritis fingers.
cuhulin

Old March 21st 05, 11:40 PM
David

The balanced mixer module acts as a microphone.