Old November 29th 04, 08:27 AM
digitania

Default Help - My Lowe HF-225 needs service

I am in need of some assistance... My trusty Lowe HF-225 appears to have
gone bonkers. It appears to be no longer receiving anything outside of the
normal US AM broadcast band with either a longwire antenna connected to the
600-ohm lead or with a loaded antenna on the 50-ohm connector. I do not
have the W-225 option installed. Either antenna connected runs the S-meter
up to about 3-4 but no signals are received on known frequencies above 1.7
MHz (e.g. WWV on 10 MHz) - and the radio does know that there's an antenna
attached, as the S-meter drops to zero with nothing attached.

Occuring more-or-less simultaneously with this problem has been two
occasions when I have turned on the radio and the display has shown "flt".
Turning the radio off and back on returns it to normal tuning - but still no
signals received other than below 1.7 MHz.

I do not have a service manual for this radio, nor do I really have the
ability to diagnose and repair it properly if I did. This radio has served
me well since I purchased it and this is the first major problem I've had.

Unfortunately, a little research on the web indicates that Lowe UK won't do
business with us in the States, and shops such as RadioLabs who have
serviced Lowe radios in the past no longer do so... so I'm hoping that one
of you out there who has a Lowe radio might know someone capable of
diagnosing and repairing it. I'm willing to ship it just about anywhere to
get it repaired - obviously, I'd prefer the US, but will definitely consider
shipping it outside the US should that be necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old November 29th 04, 06:18 PM
Dale Parfitt

"digitania" wrote in message
[...]

FLT ( at least on the 150) indicates a uP fault. The 150's use a small
plastic trimmer for setting the xtal osc. frequency of the uP as this is
used to produce LSB and USB offsets. Note the position of the variable and
rotate it a few times- see if the radio doesn't come back to life.

GL,
Dale W4OP

Old December 2nd 04, 11:16 PM
digitania

[...]

Dale,

Thanks very much for the reply. I haven't had another problem with the
'flt' display on the radio.

Now if only I could find someone willing to service it. Universal Radio
emailed me back today and said they know of no one in the US who will
service a Lowe. What a shame. I just bought another HF-225 which I hope
will arrive in the next few days from a gentleman in the Netherlands. I'll
have to come up with another suitable power supply for it, but that's no big
deal... but this one has the W-225 and B-225 options installed along with
the sync detector (my current radio just has the sync detector). Kind of
looking forward to having one I can use more 'portably'.

Thanks again.

Old December 3rd 04, 05:44 PM
Steve

"digitania" wrote in message news:b4Bqd.9240$3I.9235@okepread01...

Unfortunately, a little research on the web indicates that Lowe UK won't do
business with us in the States,

They say they won't do business in the US because their "public
liability insurance premium in respect of our sales to the USA and
Canada is no longer worth paying compared to the volume of goods we
sell there". Maybe if you agreed to sign some sort of waiver, they'd
be willing to service your unit? Short of that, maybe they could
recommend someone else, in either the US or Europe, who'd service it.
It never hurts to ask!

Steve
Old December 4th 04, 06:36 PM
digitania

Unfortunately, a little research on the web indicates that Lowe UK won't
do
business with us in the States,

They say they won't do business in the US because their "public
liability insurance premium in respect of our sales to the USA and
Canada is no longer worth paying compared to the volume of goods we
sell there". Maybe if you agreed to sign some sort of waiver, they'd
be willing to service your unit? Short of that, maybe they could
recommend someone else, in either the US or Europe, who'd service it.
It never hurts to ask!

Steve,

I did ask - twice. I sent email to Lowe and they did not respond to either
one. I don't have any real issue in calling them directly, and I still may
do that - though I have received a couple of good leads on what might be
wrong with my radio. Just need to try to find time to do the
troubleshooting.

What I'd really like is to find someone in the UK or elsewhere in Europe
that Lowe *would* deal with that I could use as an intermediary.

Old December 10th 04, 03:25 AM

never hurts to ask!

Steve,

I did ask - twice. I sent email to Lowe and they did not respond to

either
one. I don't have any real issue in calling them directly, and I

still may
do that - though I have received a couple of good leads on what might

be
wrong with my radio. Just need to try to find time to do the
troubleshooting.

What I'd really like is to find someone in the UK or elsewhere in

Europe
that Lowe *would* deal with that I could use as an intermediary.

If nothing else pans out, you might try your luck with these folks:
http://www.landaircom.com/service.html

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Broadcast Station Field Strengths.. Reg Edwards Antenna 3 December 29th 03 02:54 AM
Lowe HF150 service manual Dami Shortwave 1 September 7th 03 06:50 PM
Lowe HF225 service manual, free! Pete KE9OA Shortwave 0 September 6th 03 05:12 AM