Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 27th 05, 11:46 PM
David

Default SW Wireless Interference

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:00:47 GMT, Monroe wrote:

I'm not up on the tech side of 2-way wireless comm's. Solely Rx only
of the shortwave and longwave frequencies. But I am considering a
wireless alternative to my slow dial-up for internet connectivity.
The system is based around this device:

http://www.packetgods.com/store/prod...roducts_id=127

The wireless ISP rep indicated that the power over ethernet line had
resulted in intereference for some local HAM users, and suggested a
shielded cable and/or selective routing may solve the problem.

I use random wire and long wire antennas for most of my listening.
All of the antennas have/will have a common mount on my metal TV tower
with a feedpoint into the house located near the base of the tower
(I'm also using the tower to support an FM antenna; no TV reception
required). Antenna lines run down alonside or a short distance ( 1
m) from the metal tower. I have an outdoor 1:9 balun for connection
to the wire antennas, a coax feed into the house to a switchbox
feeding the Rx's. The balun is grounded to an 8 ft. ground rod about
1 m from the base of the antenna tower.

Given this environment, will there indeed be a problem with
interference? If so, are there any options to eliminate it?

I think they're talking about cheap CAT 5 wiring. Not the 2.4 gig
stuff. Good Cat 5 wire has twisted pairs that inherently reduce
interference. If there's a problem, I'd use ferrite beads every 6
feet or so (or just wherever practical).