Old March 28th 05, 11:18 PM
Steve

Default help needed on shortwave

Hiya everyone, I am on the gold coast just south of Brisbane in Queensland
Australia
Just bought my shortwave radio a Sangean ats 505 . I am surprised at how
little I can pick up?
Anyone and good ideas to help me. I am lucky if I can get 5 stations in
total

Thanks for any help you can give
I used to have an old Russian shortwave that I bought in England and was
like a tank big CLUNK CLICK selector dial got great service off it but it
died after 30 years

Im pretty new to all this though
thanks
Steve

Old March 28th 05, 11:30 PM
Brian Hill

"Steve" wrote in message
Hiya everyone, I am on the gold coast just south of Brisbane in Queensland
Australia
Just bought my shortwave radio a Sangean ats 505 . I am surprised at how
little I can pick up?
Anyone and good ideas to help me. I am lucky if I can get 5 stations in
total

Thanks for any help you can give
I used to have an old Russian shortwave that I bought in England and was
like a tank big CLUNK CLICK selector dial got great service off it but it
died after 30 years

Im pretty new to all this though
thanks
Steve

Tell us about your surroundings. Building your in?, city?, country? etc...
By the way is there an External/ Internal switch for the ant. on this radio?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old March 28th 05, 11:34 PM
Sanjaya

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Hiya everyone, I am on the gold coast just south of Brisbane in Queensland
Australia
Just bought my shortwave radio a Sangean ats 505 . I am surprised at how
little I can pick up?
Anyone and good ideas to help me. I am lucky if I can get 5 stations in
total

Thanks for any help you can give
I used to have an old Russian shortwave that I bought in England and was
like a tank big CLUNK CLICK selector dial got great service off it but it
died after 30 years

Im pretty new to all this though
thanks
Steve

My 505 is pretty sensitive off the whip. Overloads with external antenna.
The SW schedules just changed so you might not be listening at the right times.
DxAce just gave me a good site to find the latest broadcast times and target areas.
http://www.worldofradio.com/dxld5051.txt
When it's available the bc-a05.txt at http://www.eibi.de.vu will be very useful
and the same goes for English language schedules at http://www.primetimeshortwave.com

Old March 28th 05, 11:40 PM
Dan

Try at night.. you sheould get more stations..
( See sched below)

http://www.susi-und-strolch.de/eibi/bc-b04.txt

" Gold Coast" ??
In a high rise, in the middle of a city ??

Try to get some sort of random wire antenna outside your dwelling..

20 -30 feet should do wonders..Screw " Overload" , hook it up to the
whip..

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...ire/index.html

Old March 29th 05, 04:42 AM
Telamon

In article .com,
"Dan" wrote:

Try at night.. you sheould get more stations..
( See sched below)

http://www.susi-und-strolch.de/eibi/bc-b04.txt

" Gold Coast" ??
In a high rise, in the middle of a city ??

Try to get some sort of random wire antenna outside your dwelling..

20 -30 feet should do wonders..Screw " Overload" , hook it up to the
whip..

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...ire/index.html

Put the petal to the metal Dan.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old March 29th 05, 11:45 AM
RHF

STEVE,
Old March 29th 05, 11:36 PM
Steve

"20 -30 feet should do wonders..Screw " Overload" , hook it up to the
whip.."..Thanks but could someone decipher this message, Im new to the
lingo?
regards
Steve

"Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Try at night.. you sheould get more stations..
( See sched below)

STEVE

Old March 29th 05, 11:49 PM
Steve

Hi Guys
Im really disappointed that I buy a Sangean 505 shortwave radio for $200
Australian dollars and this morning I could not pick up even one station?

I live on the coast in south east queensland at the gold coast australia, my
house is placed half way down a steep bank with good clear views.

I have read http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html and will give
it a go!
what is overload and why do you think Im not getting any stations
When I press auto search it stops at many stations but all I hear is rumble
noise, if you know what I mean

I do appreciate all help,

regards
steve

Old March 30th 05, 12:48 AM
Tom Sevart

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi Guys
Im really disappointed that I buy a Sangean 505 shortwave radio for $200
Australian dollars and this morning I could not pick up even one station?

There may be a chance you have a defective receiver. Even during the middle
of the day you should pick up some stations on the higher frequencies. When
I was in the Philippines I used to pick up all sorts of stations from all
over Asia & the Pacific.

I have read http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html and will give
it a go!

Yeah the guy who put up that site is a pretty neat guy! :-)

what is overload and why do you think Im not getting any stations
When I press auto search it stops at many stations but all I hear is

rumble
noise, if you know what I mean

Overload means your receiver is being overloaded by strong signals, and this
results in certain stations being heard all over the bands, no matter what
frequency you tune to. Or, it means that strong stations will show up in
places they shouldn't be. Overload is usually a problem with a high gain
antenna or too much amplification. A short wire (15 to 20 feet) connected
to the whip as outlined on my page above should not overload a portable
receiver.

I usually don't use auto search on HF due to the characteristics of
propagation, fading, etc. Plus weak stations will probably be passed over.
I'm not sure what you mean by a rumble noise, but if the station is strong
and all you hear is rumbling then I'd suspect a defective receiver.

--
Tom Sevart
Frontenac, KS

Old March 30th 05, 12:54 AM
running dogg

Steve wrote:

"20 -30 feet should do wonders..Screw " Overload" , hook it up to the
whip.."..Thanks but could someone decipher this message, Im new to the
lingo?
regards
Steve

20-30 feet of wire, should be copper wire, speaker wire will do. Hook it
up to the "whip antenna", that is, the metal retracting rod antenna that
extends out from the top of the radio. It would be best to hook it up to
the end of the antenna where the little knob is. Overload is when a
signal is too strong for your radio's circuits and creates false signals
or "images" all over the dial. Since you're in Australia, overload
should not be too much of a problem, is what Dan is saying. From your
other posts, it sounds like you live at the base of a hill on the beach,
your house pointing southeast. This is not a good situation to receive
signals on a small portable radio just using the built in antenna (the
"whip"). That's why you need to hook up 30 feet (about 10 meters, I
think) of copper wire to the end of the whip antenna and run the wire
outside your house and hook the other end of the wire to a tree or a
wood fence or anything that's not metal. Do you understand a little bit
better?

oups.com...