Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 30th 05, 03:24 PM

Default Buyer's Question - SRIII vs. S350

Hello. I've been hanging around for a little while browsing the NG,
reading opinions about different radios lately. I'm in the market to
get a radio that will primarily be used for AM DX'ing. I've got only
$100 to spend and I wanted to hear from those who had both the
Superadio III and the Grundig S350. I know in a sense this is comparing
apples to oranges, but I've heard many good things about both radios.

I know this is a shortwave group, but I figured if I chose to get the
S350 that I could listen to shortwave. I've done research on both
radios and know what they have and what they don't have. Some of these
questions have a couple parts to them. Here are the questions I have:

1) How is the sensitivity on both radios on both AM and FM? Is one
radio a good deal more sensitive than the other, or are they fairly
close?

2) How is the selectivity on both radios on both AM and FM? Is one
radio a good deal more selective than the other, or are they fairly
close?

3) How good is the quality on both radios? I mean such as the "feel",
the knobs, the switches, etc.

4) I live on the east coast and I primarily listen to 650 AM WSM, and
mostly to the Grand Ol' Opry. One of the main reasons I'm getting a new
radio is because my basic (VERY basic) radios drift on 650 AM, very
badly. How would both radios handle 650 AM WSM, if anyone listens to
the station?

5) How good is the S350 on shortwave? A little drift doesn't bother me.
I can put up with even a tad of moderate drift.

6) I've heard that the S350 could be found some places selling for $50,
does anyone know of any online resellers that are selling the S350 for
$50 EXCLUDING eBay? The reason for asking is that if I could find one
for $50 or $60 I could then afford to get both radios.

7) I've also heard of one main problem with the SRIII. I've heard that
the dial is very inaccurate. How true is this and it is a huge problem
and can it be fixed?

8) Overall, with all things considered, if you could get either radio,
which one would you choose and why?

I also know that these radios don't have presets, PLL and other extras,
but that doesn't bother me. I've also considered other radios in the
price range and it came down to these two, mainly because they're both
analog radios, which I like better than digital. I also realize the
S350 has analog tuning with a digital readout.

I'm sorry for all the questions but I figured this was the best place
to come to ask this question. Thanks for reading. :-)

Jim