Old March 31st 05, 05:11 AM
running dogg

Default BBC in Spanish on 5995 at 0300 UTC

Yikes! The BBC's Spanish transmission on 5995 from 0300-0400 UTC has
suddenly gotten a LOT stronger! It registers as S9+50 on my Yaesu! It is
audible for 10 khz on either side of its assigned frequency, totally
wiping out Radio Havana on 6000. I can NOT receive Cuba when that
monster signal is on. I tried to tune a couple khz up and I can STILL
hear the BBC, with Cuba popping up briefly every so often. On 6003 khz I
can hear the BBC signal quite clearly, eight khz away from its assigned
spot. What should I do?

Old April 5th 05, 06:50 PM
Mark Zenier

In article , running dogg wrote:
Yikes! The BBC's Spanish transmission on 5995 from 0300-0400 UTC has
suddenly gotten a LOT stronger! It registers as S9+50 on my Yaesu! It is
audible for 10 khz on either side of its assigned frequency, totally
wiping out Radio Havana on 6000. I can NOT receive Cuba when that
monster signal is on. I tried to tune a couple khz up and I can STILL
hear the BBC, with Cuba popping up briefly every so often. On 6003 khz I
can hear the BBC signal quite clearly, eight khz away from its assigned
spot. What should I do?

Somebody want to tell Delano to turn it down a notch, or at least not warm
the damn things up nine minutes early. On both 5995 and 5975, yesterday
at 7:51 PDT, there were very strong carriers (S9+30 on a radio that only
goes to S9+40) which eventually became the BBC in Spanish and English.

Stomped all over the BBC English from French Guiana.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old April 7th 05, 03:02 PM
RadioGuy

running dogg wrote in message ...
Yikes! The BBC's Spanish transmission on 5995 from 0300-0400 UTC has
suddenly gotten a LOT stronger! It registers as S9+50 on my Yaesu! It is
audible for 10 khz on either side of its assigned frequency, totally
wiping out Radio Havana on 6000. I can NOT receive Cuba when that
monster signal is on. I tried to tune a couple khz up and I can STILL
hear the BBC, with Cuba popping up briefly every so often. On 6003 khz I
can hear the BBC signal quite clearly, eight khz away from its assigned
spot. What should I do?

Yea... well... the VOA does the same thing with their broadcasts south...
Its a Hispanic/Latino thing and serves a purpose. All the broadcasters I've
listened to down in South America like to run their transmitters well over
100% modulation---it gives them the commanding 'Plaza Independencia'
presence---intelligibility of the broadcasts seems to be of little concern.
The same situation is now occuring in the southern US states as more and
more broadcasters become Hispanic/Laitno owned. Here where I live there are
a couple of AM broadcasters that can be heard well over 10 kHz on either
side of carrier as well. I guess the situation is made many times worse
with the Reagan deregulation; no longer are broadcast stations required to
have engineers on staff. Granted, some have engineers on contract to
maintain their station while other simply broadcast without them---the FCC
can't control the resulting mess.

Years back after returing to the US I would tune-in to certain broadcasts.
They would be plagued with an odd buzz, whine, scratch and pop. I checked
my other receivers and would hear the same thing---no matter what I would do
I could not get rid of it. I thought it was some kind of overload or weird
local noise and cranked in my attenuator and changed antennas---no cure.
One day I was tuning though the bands and I found the source---VOA
transmitter! At least 50 kHz away (if not more) and I could still hear
artifacts of their signal---listening to their Spanish language broadcasts
they were clearly well over 100%. An RF engineer I discussed the matter
with did some signal analysis and later decided not to get involved from a
fear of possible consequences. The situation is ongoing. Additionally,
there is a strong indication that certain broadcasters like to 'cozy-up' to
a station and operate in this condition so as to 'jam' a broadcast.

RG

Old April 7th 05, 05:37 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Mark Zenier wrote:
Somebody want to tell Delano to turn it down a notch, or at least not warm
the damn things up nine minutes early. On both 5995 and 5975, yesterday
at 7:51 PDT, there were very strong carriers (S9+30 on a radio that only
goes to S9+40) which eventually became the BBC in Spanish and English.

Stomped all over the BBC English from French Guiana.

Perhaps, but the 5975 broadcast is not directed to you,

No kidding, if it's this strong off the back of the antenna, what's it
like the other way? What's the front/back ratio of those antennas?

But it'll be doing the same thing in whatever part of the target area
that has overlaps from the two transmission patterns. Having nine
minutes of dead carrier isn't helping anybody, except maybe some station
engineer trying to baby an old transmitter. I'm sure the local power
company doesn't mind the extra billing. It's just taxpayer's money...

so you have to take the good with the bad!

You sure have a weird fatalist thing about (fixable) problems in
the world. Bean counter.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old April 7th 05, 10:40 PM
running dogg

RadioGuy wrote:

[...]

The Delano transmitter-from which the BBC broadcast in question
originates-is VOA owned. Even worse, Delano, California is only about
100 miles or so south of my location, so the splatter is considerable.

[...]

I suggested in this newsgroup that the BBC transmission was deliberately
placed so as to jam Cuba, and everybody dismissed the notion out of
hand. Additionally, there seems to be a strong station (BBC?) operating
on 6005 around 0400 which also interferes with the Cubans. 6000 is by
far the most reliable of Radio Havana's frequencies to NAm, and it
wouldn't surprise me if the US govt was trying to force them off 6000 or
at least make the signal impossible to hear.

Old April 9th 05, 02:45 AM
running dogg

Mark Zenier wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Mark Zenier wrote:
Somebody want to tell Delano to turn it down a notch, or at least not warm
the damn things up nine minutes early. On both 5995 and 5975, yesterday
at 7:51 PDT, there were very strong carriers (S9+30 on a radio that only
goes to S9+40) which eventually became the BBC in Spanish and English.

Stomped all over the BBC English from French Guiana.

Perhaps, but the 5975 broadcast is not directed to you,

No kidding, if it's this strong off the back of the antenna, what's it
like the other way? What's the front/back ratio of those antennas?

I understand that they're trying to reach Montevideo with that
broadcast, but still...

But it'll be doing the same thing in whatever part of the target area
that has overlaps from the two transmission patterns. Having nine
minutes of dead carrier isn't helping anybody, except maybe some station
engineer trying to baby an old transmitter. I'm sure the local power
company doesn't mind the extra billing. It's just taxpayer's money...

Of course! Why not bill the feds for an extra nine minutes of your time
and see them pay it without question? I wonder if PG&E (the local power
company) is in on it too. Waste all you want, we'll print more! It must
be great to be a government, ratchet up the tax rates until you're
squeezing blood from a rock and use the army to force people to pay up,
then when the people complain about being broke just crank up the
presses. Of course the funny money game will eventually reach the point
of diminishing returns, and then you get another Argentina, but by then
the fat cats have bled the treasury dry and flown off to their private
islands in the South Pacific leaving the little people to clean up the
mess.

BBC in Spanish on 9525? running dogg Shortwave 0 January 12th 05 03:24 AM
IBRA Radio B04 Mike Terry Shortwave 0 November 3rd 04 06:43 PM
Spanish pirates outnumber legal stations by 2-1 Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 October 21st 04 03:34 AM
Israel B-04 Hebrew, English, Spanish, Ladino dxAce Shortwave 1 October 20th 04 02:17 AM
VT Communications B'04 Mike Terry Shortwave 1 October 12th 04 07:14 PM