Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 3rd 05, 04:39 AM

Default Kenwood R-1000 Questions

The R-1000 should do well on either of the antennas you mentioned. My
R-1000 showed some slight overloading on a 130' wire but did well on a
60' coax/matching xfmr fed wire. I replaced the 12 kHz filter with a 6
khz one (Murata CFW455H) and the audio quality was not degraded
significantly but the selectivity sure was better. Removing the top pc
board is a hassle the first time, however!

Frank
K3YAZ

wrote:
Recently I picked up an R-1000 in nice condition, and did a search in
this newsgroup, the feeling seems to be that this is basically a

decent
receiver with good audio but prone to overloading with a large

antenna.

I have a couple of commercial shortwave antennas which I could use

when
I get time to put them up, both being about 50' in length, though one
can be shortened if need be. I like to listen to the major
broadcasters but also enjoy touring the 60 meter band for Africans as
well. Can anyone suggest an antenna length that would be best for

this
receiver? Would the attenuator lose too much signal, or make it an
ideal situation? Testing with a short wire wiped out all but the
strongest signals, and even they weren't enjoyable then.

Also, the 12 kHz filter in this radio sounds great on clear

mediumwave
stations, are there any shortwave stations that have clear signals

and
good audio which I can use this wide filter with (I've been away from
the hobby for a while)? Is the excellent audio reputation of the
R-1000 from the stock wide filter alone, or is the entire audio

circuit
what makes it so good? If its just the stock filter, wouldn't any
receiver benefit greatly from something wider than the standard 6 kHz
filter in the wide slot?