Old April 5th 05, 02:48 AM
Brian Sturges

Default 7305 Vatican Radio at 01:45UTC

Coming in very well here in southwest Missouri. There may 20 minutes of
english coming up. R75 w/ 80foot wire and balun. Please disregard this
message if it turns out to be Voice of Russia!
Brian

Old April 5th 05, 02:56 AM
running dogg

Brian Sturges wrote:

Coming in very well here in southwest Missouri. There may 20 minutes of
english coming up. R75 w/ 80foot wire and balun. Please disregard this
message if it turns out to be Voice of Russia!
Brian

Yeah, I think it's them. That freq is mostly in Spanish to the big
Catholic countries South of The Border. North America gets 20 minutes in
French and 20 minutes in English. But English doesn't come on until 0250
UTC, so you'll be waiting a while. And I've found them to have poor
audio quality despite their good signal strength, making them virtually
incomprehensible. I've tried every trick in the book short of
restringing my antenna to make them come in better, and I've come up
with nothing. RHF, who lives about 100 miles from me, has said on this
group that he's had the same result, and he has an R75 and four
different antennas.

Old April 5th 05, 03:52 AM
Brian Sturges

Yep, English starting at 02:50. The noise floor is high, but I copy every
word.
"running dogg" wrote in message
Brian Sturges wrote:

[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old April 5th 05, 04:01 AM
Brian Sturges

"Brian Sturges" wrote in message
Yep, English starting at 02:50. The noise floor is high, but I copy every
word.

No, I take that back- It's surprising how much a woman's voice articulates
better through the noise than a man's. It is a crummy transmission.

Old April 5th 05, 04:09 AM
running dogg

Brian Sturges wrote:

"Brian Sturges" wrote in message
Yep, English starting at 02:50. The noise floor is high, but I copy every
word.

No, I take that back- It's surprising how much a woman's voice articulates
better through the noise than a man's. It is a crummy transmission.

Yes, the woman announcer enunciates quite well, and her accent is easy
on American ears. But she talks too fast and I can only understand less
than half of what she says. And when the men come on, that percentage
drops. And during their special program Saturday night, when they had
all those people with different accents on, they all were virtually
incomprehensible. Vatican Radio simply has crummy audio-their website is
a better source of info on the situation than their shortwave
transmission, just because the audio on the SW broadcasts is so bad. I
thought only Radio Cairo and a few other of the Muslim countries had
this problem.