Old April 12th 05, 02:08 AM
dxAce

Bart Bailey wrote:

In posted on Wed, 06
Apr 2005 17:50:58 GMT, Bart Bailey wrote: Begin

I was the one who suggested Mark take a look at the ANC-4 to evaluate if
he thought the somewhat pricey cost might be justified, and based on
reports from acquaintances in the local radio community I have already
ordered one for myself, and will report on its effectiveness after it
arrives next monday.

OK It's Monday,
UPS came on time,
and the ANC-4 is a real blessing.
Ideal circumstances for an evaluation this afternoon because it just so
happened that ten meters was wide open today and SDG&E was also in true
form with all the hash they could dish out. At first I thought the thing
wasn't going to be of any service as there wasn't any noticeable
reduction in the high noise level, but since it (my noise) was from
outside and above the antenna rather than from within the shack, I had
to use an external sense antenna. When using an additional roof antenna
for reference, the ANC-4 was able to reduce the noise to a baseline hiss
yet all stations came in unaffected. I heard stuff I only occasionally
hear during brief periods of quiet, but was able to maintain that s/n
throughout the afternoon. The unit is well constructed, heavy case, a
bit smaller than I expected, fits easily on top of the rig, and is all
in all a worthwhile addition to anyone plagued by a noisy (QRN)
environment.

If you have a problem with outside electrical noise then call the provider. In
realistic terms they only have a brief period to respond to your complaint.

I had a persistent problem here recently (last fall) and though it took a bit of
time to resolve, the local power provider spent over $5000 to bring in an
outside contractor (from Maryland) to not only resolve the problem, but to train
the local folks to be able to resolve the problems themselves.

(Interestingly enough, I had traced the problem to within 3 poles, but they
wouldn't listen to me. I did get a highly apologetic letter later on though!)

If you can't get any relief, and you believe that the problem is indeed caused
by power line problems, then get in touch with the FCC.

Don't take no for an answer!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old April 12th 05, 12:26 PM
TheAlligator

--

Bart

Excellent, Bart! I use the MFJ 784B DSP filter, but would much rather
have the anc4 if I was in a high-noise location. I used to look at it
in the AES catalog and wonder if it really was as good as everyone
said. Sounds like it is.
Old April 12th 05, 03:05 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Bart Bailey wrote:

In posted on Mon, 11 Apr
2005 21:08:26 -0400, dxAce wrote: Begin

If you can't get any relief, and you believe that the problem is indeed caused
by power line problems, then get in touch with the FCC.

I had to do that once with cox communications, when the rude cable guy
was complaining I was getting into their system. I told the FCC field
engineer about the RF leakage from their "closed" system and a few days
later they had three of their pole monkeys out reworking all the
distribution boxes in my neighborhood.
Cable TV uses frequencies that fall in the commercial aviation band and
is therefore only allowed a minimum of leakage.
I had tried to tell the original cable guy that there was a major
leakage issue, but he insisted it was the fault of my equipment. Turned
out that someone in an apartment across the way had spliced into his
cable with zip cord to share football games with his neighbors and in
effect created an antenna out of the cable.

--

Bart

This is why United Video Cablevision installed "Sniffer" receivers in
their service trucks back in the early '80s. A separate modulator was
fed into the system a little above the highest TV channel that had an
irritating modulation so there was no mistaking it You could spot a
leak driving down the road, then look for the problem with a small
handheld receiver with its signal strength meter.
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old April 12th 05, 06:51 PM
TheAlligator

Bart Bailey wrote:

In posted on Tue, 12 Apr
2005 16:33:48 GMT, Bart Bailey wrote: Begin

MFJ also make a phase inversion canceler too (MFJ-1035)

That would be the MFJ-1025

--

Bart

Thanks. Have a friend who's into SWL, and I think he'd be interested
in this.
Old April 12th 05, 07:08 PM

You could probably rig up something similar with a Wellbrook ALA 100
and your own wire. No tuning required.