Old April 5th 05, 11:53 AM
Gunner

Default Radio Question

Over the weekend, I stumbled into a Panasonic RF-4800 general
communications receiver. It looks like it just came out of the box.
Mint+.

I have some issues that perhaps some of you can help with.

I spend most of the week working out of an RV in an RV park. The
park rules are such that they really frown on antennas other than TV.
So it leaves out a long wire antenna. My TV antenna (no cable in the
park) is about 12' to the yagi. So I have a mounting height
issue..the Slinky trick is out.

Anyone got a good suggestion for a low profile receiving antenna that
will cover broadcast to 31 mhz? Vertically polarized, or
horizontally..horizontal would be best. The RV has a surface aprox 7'
wide by 20' long.

loop antennas are out. No way to turn it from inside and are a bit
high profile.

Second big question. The only place to put this receiver is within 3
feet of my computer. So Im getting freaking huge birdies all over the
spectrum with the puter/monitor turned on.

The receiver has a 50ohm Pl259 coax connector, as well as a binding
post for a long wire. Plus a binding post for AM broadcast and a
third for FM broadcast.

The RV itself is a damned good Faraday cage. Aluminum siding, aluminum
window frames and screen. Even the local stations fade to zip when
the door is closed. I have to leave the cell phone near a window to
work. So the antenna has to be external. Shrug.

Anyone got any suggestions? Ive got a chunk of wire tossed over the
roof at the moment, but tis not particularly effective.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Old April 5th 05, 12:49 PM

You could get a couple of pipe flanges and mount one inside on the
ceiling and the other one on the roof and rig/make a handle thingy to
turn a loop antenna in any direction you want to turn it.Some of that
caulking/putty stuff would keep it water proof.
cuhulin

Old April 5th 05, 07:28 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Gunner,

It's expensive, it's a "loop," but it might be just what you're looking
for! Check out the AOR WL500 Window Loop Antenna.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0238.html

I own one. I use it with my Grundig Satellit 800. It's relatively
non-directional above 6 MHz. I like it very much. I believe AES and
Grove also sell this antenna.

Hope that's at least of some interest to you.

Best,

Joe

Old April 6th 05, 02:22 AM
Greg

From: Gunner
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism,rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:53:17 GMT
Subject: Radio Question

[...]

Gunner -

I use an H-800 Skymatch active antenna from LF Engineering
http://www.lfengineering.com/products.htm

It's mounted in my attic and it gives me marginally better SW reception than
a 50 ft. random wire hung around the eaves of the house. It gives great
improvement in the MW broadcast band, day and night. It's supposed to be
good for LF too but I never go there.

The antenna "probe" is only a 26" long tube. You could probably mount it on
your TV antenna, or even on a standalone pole outside the RV, or on the
roof. I paid $20 extra for the BNC connector option, and supplied my own
coax. Otherwise, the coax is permanently joined to the probe. No biggie
though - you could cut it and install connectors.

It's a pretty good all-round antenna and an easy one to install. There are
better, more expensive active antennas.

As far as the computer-generated noise, try putting ferrite chokes on all
the computer wires & cables. There was a thread here a while back about an
inexpensive place to buy them. Also, you could try putting up some kind of
metallic barrier between the computer & radio and ground it, or maybe build
a little Faraday cage over the 'puter. Experiment!

Good luck,

Greg

Old April 6th 05, 04:49 AM
Gunner

On 5 Apr 2005 11:28:55 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

Dear Gunner,

It's expensive, it's a "loop," but it might be just what you're looking
for! Check out the AOR WL500 Window Loop Antenna.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0238.html

I own one. I use it with my Grundig Satellit 800. It's relatively
non-directional above 6 MHz. I like it very much. I believe AES and
Grove also sell this antenna.

Hope that's at least of some interest to you.

Best,

Joe

Many thanks Joe, looks very interesting

Old April 6th 05, 05:20 AM

Gunner wrote:
Over the weekend, I stumbled into a Panasonic RF-4800 general
communications receiver. It looks like it just came out of the box.
Mint+.

I have some issues that perhaps some of you can help with.

I spend most of the week working out of an RV in an RV park. The
park rules are such that they really frown on antennas other than TV.
So it leaves out a long wire antenna. My TV antenna (no cable in the
park) is about 12' to the yagi. So I have a mounting height
issue..the Slinky trick is out.

Anyone got a good suggestion for a low profile receiving antenna

that
will cover broadcast to 31 mhz? Vertically polarized, or
horizontally..horizontal would be best. The RV has a surface aprox

7'
wide by 20' long.

................................................. ..............................

I used a Winnebago for a few summers and found that a CB whip (96")
worked fairly well. RV people are quite used to CB antennas and accept
them as part of the game. You can get mounting clamps from truck stops
and perhaps Radio Shack, and you will need to run RG58U through a hole
somewhere and get the right antenna connector for the Panasonic. Don't
forget to take down the whip when you move the rig.
Also, I found that a wire run across the windshield and held in place
by tape worked fairly well but was hopeless when moving due to static
and engine noise.
I used to connect it to the whip....73...

Old April 6th 05, 05:24 AM

What is it that makes those antennas so expensive?
cuhulin

Old April 6th 05, 05:28 AM
Howard

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:53:17 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

[...]

Gunner,
Perhaps your TV antenna mast needs to have guy-wires just in case of
wind You may wish to make those guy-wires from one continuous
length of wire that is, in actuality, your random wire antena.
Discreetly feed the starting point with coax and bring it into the RV.
I'm not really sure how well this would work for you but it shouldn't
cost too much in money or time to give it a try.

Howard
Old April 6th 05, 05:49 PM
TheAlligator

Bart Bailey wrote:
Yes, it improves reception, ...of noise
from both inside and outside the shack. g

Whoops - I forgot the original post mention the noise problem. It
worked for me because it was a quiet, rural location - no line noise,
etc. BTW, I've had good luck with the MFJ 784B DSP filter when I do
have noise - someone mentioned the Timewave AN-4 (?) - it's more
expensive but if it takes the manual intervention out of the process,
I'd recommend going that way.