Old April 6th 05, 12:07 AM
Boh

Default Ten Tec RX320 - Front End Transistors keep blowing

Did you try bleeding in to a grounding block

Old April 6th 05, 03:32 AM
Brian Denley

Jim wrote:
The RX320 is a good receiver but it keeps blowing the front end
transistors. The factory sent me a small bag of FET's and
instructions on swapping them out. This is nice, but they keep
blowing out on a regular basis and am now asking Ten Tec for more
FET's.

I wonder if anyone has come up with a fix for this problem? I even
tried a pair of back to back diodes across the antenna input but they
still seem to blow. Factory came up with a resistor change mod which
seemed to make absolutely no difference.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing same problem and if you came
up with a fix?

Thanks,

wa5dxp

What kind of antenna are you using?

--
Brian Denley

Old April 6th 05, 03:17 PM
Volker Tonn

Jim schrieb:

The factory did their "resistor" mod to no effect and I put a pair of
b2b switching diodes across input, but they still keep blowing.

Just take cheap "normal" diodes
Take two pairs "antiparallel" like this (fixed font!):

antenna line
(inner braid)

| |--|---|---| |
|-----------|---|---|--|-----||
| |-----1M-----| |
ground
(shielding)

and add an resistor 1Mohm (500k - 2M will work OK).

hth

Old April 6th 05, 04:39 PM

Another dumb question from yours truly.Are they the plug in kind of
transistors (like in some of my old beat up old transistor radios) or
the kind of transistors you have to solder in? Only curious.OK,George
ASSHOLEAshley,Fire Away!
cuhulin

Old April 7th 05, 12:03 AM
Ken Wilson

Jim wrote:
The RX320 is a good receiver but it keeps blowing the front end
transistors. The factory sent me a small bag of FET's and
instructions on swapping them out. This is nice, but they keep
blowing out on a regular basis and am now asking Ten Tec for more
FET's.

I wonder if anyone has come up with a fix for this problem? I even
tried a pair of back to back diodes across the antenna input but they
still seem to blow. Factory came up with a resistor change mod which
seemed to make absolutely no difference.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing same problem and if you came
up with a fix?

Thanks,

wa5dxp

I had that happen to one of the 320's I have owned. It was my fault
however. I forgot to unhook it during a very strong thunderstorm.
Lightning hit 100 ft or so away.

Other wise no problems. I wonder how many thousands of RX320's have been
sold?

73, Ken KG4BIG