Old April 16th 05, 01:14 AM
SR

Default SIRIUS Satellite Radio

I was wondering if satellite Radio by Sirius is a live broadcast? Or
whenever you turn the radio on, you have the choice to hear an earlier
broadcast at a latter time?

Also, if you are a subscriber, do you get a free program guide in the
mail? Or you have to go on their website to get a program guild?

They made a better looking Satellite radio by Tivoli. I do not like
those very tech looking satellite radio that looks like a walkman. I
find them very cheap and confussing looking.

Should I ever move on to satellite radio, I would like a nice table top
wooden radio. With lots of knobs.

And I would hope to hear a commercial free Coast to Coast
program(AM)with Art Bell.

I would say that Tivoli makes nice sounding radios. I hope that they
make more large wooden radios with shortwave included.

It would be really cool, if a satellite radio could have a monitor in
it, giving more information. But controlled by knobs.

Also, when they say that a Sirius or xm satellite radio has am/fm, does
that means that the am/fm signal is a radio signal or a satellite
signal? -They should better explain these things.

73, SR
Old April 16th 05, 01:40 PM
Jb77

whatever it is.... its evil

"Fredrick Garvin" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:14:03 +0100, SR expelled the following:

I was wondering if satellite Radio by Sirius is a live broadcast? Or
whenever you turn the radio on, you have the choice to hear an earlier
broadcast at a latter time?

I don't have Sirius (I have XM) but I think that's a no.

Also, if you are a subscriber, do you get a free program guide in the
mail? Or you have to go on their website to get a program guild?

They made a better looking Satellite radio by Tivoli. I do not like

those
very tech looking satellite radio that looks like a walkman. I find

them
very cheap and confussing looking.

Should I ever move on to satellite radio, I would like a nice table top
wooden radio. With lots of knobs.

Out of luck I think.

And I would hope to hear a commercial free Coast to Coast
program(AM)with Art Bell.

XM has Art. Not sure about commercial free though as I don't listen to
that crap.

I would say that Tivoli makes nice sounding radios. I hope that they
make more large wooden radios with shortwave included.

It would be really cool, if a satellite radio could have a monitor in
it, giving more information. But controlled by knobs.

Also, when they say that a Sirius or xm satellite radio has am/fm, does
that means that the am/fm signal is a radio signal or a satellite
signal? -They should better explain these things.

73, SR

Go to their web sites and check them both out. I've had XM for 2 years
now and love it. I know XM sends out channel guides.

Old April 16th 05, 01:51 PM

SR wrote:
[...]

The best thing for you to do is fix whatever problems you're having
with your antenna. I understand that the problems must be quite serious
for you to be considering satellite radio, but think of them as
challenges, not problems. You could even describe them for the group
and someone might be able to help you.

Assuming you don't want to fix your antenna, you still don't need to
bend over for XM or Sirius. The internet has more content than
either/both of these services, so get whatever you need in order access
it.

Steve

Old April 16th 05, 03:50 PM

Both services are broadcast in real time, but some channels on both
services are voice tracked. In XM's case, the most popular channels
are live while others are voice tracked. As a listener, you can't tell
the difference as they are careful that no hints are given out when
voice tracking occurs. You cannot hear old programs within having
recorded them (one of XM's receivers can automatically record programs
for later playback similar to the way a TIVO does).

I think both services provide a program guide. I know XM does; and I
seem to recall Sirius does (or did).

They made a better looking Satellite radio by Tivoli. I do not

like
those very tech looking satellite radio that looks like a walkman. I
find them very cheap and confussing looking.

Both services have table radios. Sirius has the Tivoli:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.p...175&cat=&page=

XM has several models from Eton, here's one:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...le/e1xmlrg.jpg

Because XM has a technology lead, "XM Ready" radios are starting to
show up in large numbers. Over the course of the next 12 months you
can expect just about every radio-related device to show up with an "XM
Ready" version, where you just plug in the antenna (which costs less
than $50) and go. XM has come up with a chip that manufacturers can
use to convert almost any device to an XM Ready radio for almost
nothing. If you're sitting on the fence, you may even want to wait a
few months.

In AM/FM/XM radios, the XM signal comes from the satellite, the AM/FM
come from plain-old AM/FM transmitters. AM/FM broadcasts will still be
as bad as they always were.

XM has the better content all the way around (IMO), but Sirius has the
Tivoli which sounds more to your liking.

Old April 17th 05, 04:54 PM

Boh wrote:

If you have a local power house with no fade and a clean

signal
and buy a Drake,JRC,etc you would have the same thing as a

50.00
dollar sat.radio.Will I sell all my other radios [Drake,Lowe,JRC] no
,its just another radio that laying in bed at night sounds

really
good

73, SR

Really? How is your satellite radio on utilities? Which channel can I
find military comms on?

Steve

Old April 17th 05, 07:06 PM
David

On 16 Apr 2005 05:51:50 -0700, wrote:

SR wrote:
[...]

You have a real problem, don't you. Some people like to be able to
listen to the radio without having to involve a damn computer.
Especially when driving around. Or hiking.

Satellite radio is an evolution of a medium that started with Morse
code. If everyone thought like you it would still be all dots and
dashes.

Old April 17th 05, 07:10 PM

You have a real problem, don't you. Some people like to be able to
listen to the radio without having to involve a damn computer.
Especially when driving around. Or hiking.

I don't care if people use a computer. I don't normally rely on a
computer myself when it comes to radio.

Steve

Old April 17th 05, 07:12 PM
David

On 16 Apr 2005 07:50:25 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Jeez. I'm surprised Panero let you get off your knees long enough to
use the internet.

That Eton Radio (aka the Grundig Satellit 900) is the longest running
gag on this newsgroup (speaking of you and Panero).

I know the fact that you failed to mention that Sirius carries all the
favorite International broadcasters via the WRN was just an oversight,
and not the result of your warped, one-sided view of satellite radio.

Old April 17th 05, 07:41 PM
dxAce

SR wrote:
[...]

If everyone thought like you this would be rec.totemysatellitereceiver.tard

dxAce
Michigan
USA