Old April 19th 05, 12:10 AM
Li_Changchun

Default Headphones for SWL

In the past I have always used any old headphones for SWL. They almost
always had a wide frequency response somewhere around 20-20KHz. Recently I
acquired a pair of closed ear Sony MDR-7502's ($50). They are smaller than
the typical hi-fi phones, lighter and very comfortable. They are well made
and not cheap like walkman type phones. Perfect for portables which is why
I bought them.

One thing I noticed that these phones have a narrower freq. response of
about 60-16KHz. I had always known that hi-fi phones were not necessary and
often fatiguing for SWL. Using these 7502's I now concur with that
assessment.

Knowing this I am now considering a pair of Kenwood HS-5's for the desktop
receiver which is even more narrow in freq. response of around 150-4KHz. I
was wondering if they are worth it for SWL? Does the 4KHz cut-off subtract
appreciably from the program listening experience? Are they designed mainly
for SSB/CW listening?

It took my ears a few weeks to get used to the 7502's slightly less "high's"
in the ear. But I find that now I have much less listeners fatigue without
the "hiss" in the background. Should I expect a similar experience with the
HS-5's?

Old April 19th 05, 01:36 AM
SR

Hello: I have an old pair of headphones made by Koss. They could be
about 30 years old. They were given to me by my Dad. Sometimes, I get a
very painful lould knock sound. Not sure what causes that. Other then
that, they work great. But funny looking. LOL!

73, SR!

Old April 19th 05, 03:29 AM
running dogg

Li_Changchun wrote:

[...]

I use Radio Shack mono headphones, made for scanner use, on my Yaesu and
am pleased with them. Hi fi headphones are designed for use on stereo
equipment which means that they will have inadequate response for SW.
Typical walkman headphones will be even worse. Go to your local Radio
Shack and ask for the scanner headphones, check to see that the pair is
mono, and they should work fine for SWL.

Old April 19th 05, 04:07 AM
Tony Meloche

running dogg wrote:

(snip)

Hi fi headphones are designed for use on stereo
equipment which means that they will have inadequate response for SW.

Did you mean that as you wrote it, RD? If so, you have me confused.
"Mono phones designed for SW listening will have inadequate response
for Hi-Fi listening" would make more sense, that's the only reason I ask.

Tony

Old April 19th 05, 04:21 AM
running dogg

Tony Meloche wrote:

running dogg wrote:

(snip)

Hi fi headphones are designed for use on stereo
equipment which means that they will have inadequate response for SW.

Did you mean that as you wrote it, RD? If so, you have me confused.
"Mono phones designed for SW listening will have inadequate response
for Hi-Fi listening" would make more sense, that's the only reason I ask.

Ok, maybe not "response" in the way Li was talking about it. But I do
know that if you try and use stereo headphones on a mono only radio, or
mono phones on a stereo radio, that you will get all sorts of weird
results, such as only one of the sides working. For example, I tried
plugging in walkman phones to a RS mono FM radio, and only one side
worked.

Old April 19th 05, 04:24 AM
Tony Meloche

running dogg wrote:
Tony Meloche wrote:

running dogg wrote:

(snip)

Hi fi headphones are designed for use on stereo
equipment which means that they will have inadequate response for SW.

Did you mean that as you wrote it, RD? If so, you have me confused.
"Mono phones designed for SW listening will have inadequate response
for Hi-Fi listening" would make more sense, that's the only reason I ask.

Ok, maybe not "response" in the way Li was talking about it. But I do
know that if you try and use stereo headphones on a mono only radio, or
mono phones on a stereo radio, that you will get all sorts of weird
results, such as only one of the sides working. For example, I tried
plugging in walkman phones to a RS mono FM radio, and only one side
worked.

No question of that - the lightweight "so-so" RS phones I use for SW
listening work great. They are stereo, but there is a cheap adapter
plug you can get at RS that turns them into "mono".

Tony

Old April 19th 05, 04:52 AM

I own a pair of old World War Two headphones but I never use them.I
can't stand to wear headphones or use earbuds.They agravate the hell out
of me.
cuhulin

Old April 19th 05, 06:22 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Li_Changchun" wrote:

Snip

Stop changing your handle so you stay in the kill file you stinking
Troll.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 19th 05, 06:47 AM
Telamon

In article , SR
wrote:

Hello: I have an old pair of headphones made by Koss. They could be
about 30 years old. They were given to me by my Dad. Sometimes, I get a
very painful lould knock sound. Not sure what causes that. Other then
that, they work great. But funny looking. LOL!

73, SR!

Snip

That knock is God flicking a finger against the side of your head for
answering a Troll on Usenet.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 19th 05, 07:13 AM
rchrdprss

Sony MDR-V150 headphones for $29, and a Koss EQ50 3 band equailzer for $10.
Makes the old Sangean ATS-803a sound as good as anyhing, including the Icom
R75.
And makes that sound great!

RP on the coast in central CA,
with a fine long wire, bad shortwave and good utitliy reception tonight in
the fog.....