Old March 4th 04, 01:59 AM
tommyknocker

Default headphones update

I was surprised to read that the brand of headphones mentioned most
was...Radio Shack (and various incarnations thereof, like Archer and
Optimus). So I went to my local RS and quickly located the mono
headphones. There was no price posted so I had to ask the guy behind the
counter-with tax I paid about $15. He asked if they were for scanner use
and I said yes, not caring to explain what a shortwave radio is to him.
Anyway, the first thing I discovered with the headphones is that I was
overdriving the 8800's small speaker-I had to turn attenuation up and
volume down to get a listenable signal on the headphones. I agree that
headphones make for a much more intelligible signal.

Old March 5th 04, 06:20 PM
RHF

TK,

Many modern AM/FM Shortwave Radio/Receivers now use a Stereo
Headphone Jack that is 'wired' for Dual Mono-Aural Outputs to
drive both the Left and Right Sides of the Stereo Headphones.

NOTE: This is done because most Headphones today are designed
and Manufactured 'wired' for Stereo {Separate Bi-Aural} Sound.

Check your Radio/Reciver to see what it 'wired' for:

[ ] Basic Mono-Sound Headphone Jack
= = = Usually older radios and receiver

[ ] Stereo-Sound Headphone Jack
'wired' as Dual Mono-Aural Outputs.
= = = Usually newer AM/SW/SSB/CW Radio/Receiver that
does NOT have a built-in FM "Stereo" Radio Section.

[ ] Stereo-Sound Headphone Jack
'wired' for Stereo {Separate Bi-Aural} Sound.
= = = Usually newer 'portable' AM/FM/Shortwave Radio
that does have a built-in FM "Stereo" Radio Section.

TIP - If the Radio/Receiver HAS a built-in FM "Stereo" Radio
Section: Then Expect that the External Speaker Jack, Earphone
Jack, Record Output Jack and Line Outs are all 'wired' for Stereo.
CONVERSE - If the Radio/Receiver does NOT has a built-in FM
"Stereo" Radio Section: Then Expect that the External Speaker
Jack, Head/Earphone Jack, and Record Output Jack are all 'wired'
for Dual Mono-Aural Sound.

mkia ~ RHF
..
..
= = = tommyknocker wrote in message
= = = ...

I was surprised to read that the brand of headphones mentioned most
was...Radio Shack (and various incarnations thereof, like Archer and
Optimus). So I went to my local RS and quickly located the mono
headphones. There was no price posted so I had to ask the guy behind the
counter-with tax I paid about $15. He asked if they were for scanner use
and I said yes, not caring to explain what a shortwave radio is to him.
Anyway, the first thing I discovered with the headphones is that I was
overdriving the 8800's small speaker-I had to turn attenuation up and
volume down to get a listenable signal on the headphones. I agree that
headphones make for a much more intelligible signal.

TK,

By "8800" I 'assume' you mean a Yaesu FGR-8800.
FRG-8800= http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/frg8800.htm
FRG-8800= http://www.dxing.com/rx/frg8800.htm
http://www.yaesu-museum.de/Galleries.../frg-8800.html

IIRC: My Yaesu FRG-7700 has a Headphone Jack on the front of
the receiver that is 'wired' for Dual Mono-Aural Outputs to
drive both the Left and Right Sides of the Stereo Headphones.

NOTE: To Me, the Headphone's Right Side sounds louder
then the Left Side.

ALSO - On the 'front' of my Yaesu FRG-7700 is a Mono-Aural
RECORD Output Jack.

PLUS - At the 'back' of my Yaesu FRG-7700 is an Mono-Aural
External Speaker Jack.

I would assume that the FRG-8800 and the FRG-7700 have the
same basic Audio features.
REAR= http://www.universal-radio.com/used/u074io.jpg

hth ~ RHF
..
Old March 5th 04, 06:41 PM
tommyknocker

RHF wrote:

[...]

I'm using the headphones on a Yaesu FRG8800 tabletop receiver. It has no
FM (stereo or mono) of course so the jack should be mono. I've
experienced no problems.

..
..

Old March 6th 04, 03:17 AM
Nicolae Santean

Which of these headphones is the best for SWL ? :
(from RadioShack online catalog)

Koss® Limited Edition 50th Anniversary PRO-4AA... $99.99 (Cat # 33-1217)

Sennheiser® Full-Sized Headphones $69.99 (Cat # 33-1223)

Philips® Noise-Canceling Headphones $69.99 (Cat # 33-1224)

RadioShack Stereo Headphones with Titanium Dia... $39.99 (Cat # 33-1182)

Stereo Headphones with Titanium Diaphragms $39.99 (Cat # 33-1222)

Closed-Cup Stereo Headphones With Dual Volume ... $21.99 (Cat # 33-1176)

This last one looks quite reasonable to me! Its characteristics are :

20-20,000HZ
32ohms
sensitivity 98dB
11/2" ferrite speakers
rated power: 50mW
max power 80mW

Also the Philips one is tempting. Anyways, what is your opinion?

Nic
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~nic

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Old March 6th 04, 03:59 AM
Bob

Radio Shack may still have a large mono to small stereo adapter. I
bought one years ago and it works perfectly on my FRG-7700 , FRG-7 and
KW R-5000. I have the KW full over the ear headphones but I find they
get heavy in a hurry. I much prefer the smaller walkman type phones.
Bob

Old March 6th 04, 08:04 AM
Dxluver

I'm curious what they'll say also Nicolae.

Santa Claus Post is a Trojan!!! TlgtrProd Scanner 13 January 3rd 05 07:50 PM
Sensifivity of 2000-ohm Headphones Reg Edwards Antenna 40 July 4th 04 08:02 AM
Sensifivity of 2000-ohm Headphones Reg Edwards Antenna 0 July 1st 04 08:43 PM
headphones tommyknocker Shortwave 13 March 4th 04 09:40 PM
WinScan780 Update Now Available Beer Goggles Scanner 2 October 23rd 03 04:06 AM