RadioBanter

-   -   White Smoke (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/69279-white-smoke.html)

dxAce April 19th 05 04:57 PM

White Smoke

WLS in Chicago is reporting White Smoke from the Vatican

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] April 19th 05 05:37 PM

Of course,White Smoke means they have decided/voted on who the next Pope
will be.
cuhulin

dxAce April 19th 05 05:50 PM

dxAce wrote:

WLS in Chicago is reporting White Smoke from the Vatican

He is a great man... I see it in his eyes.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

John S. April 19th 05 05:59 PM

And from the world of instant internet communications german Cardinal
Ratzinger is the new pope. Too bad they can't break away from
europeans.....

running dogg April 19th 05 06:13 PM

John S. wrote:

And from the world of instant internet communications german Cardinal
Ratzinger is the new pope. Too bad they can't break away from
europeans.....

The Catholic Church is very slow to change. For 500 years the
"tradition" was that an Italian always got the job. In 1978 that
tradition was broken when a Pole (JP2) was elected. This is the first
election in 26 years, and I found it highly unlikely that a Latino or
African would be elected, despite the fact that the Church is growing
fast in Latin America and Africa while it is shrinking in North America
and Europe. I think it's sad that Catholicism can't change with the
times, not doctrinally but in the good ole European boy network, and it
might be the death of the Church eventually.

dxAce April 19th 05 06:33 PM

running dogg wrote:

John S. wrote:

And from the world of instant internet communications german Cardinal
Ratzinger is the new pope. Too bad they can't break away from
europeans.....

The Catholic Church is very slow to change. For 500 years the
"tradition" was that an Italian always got the job. In 1978 that
tradition was broken when a Pole (JP2) was elected. This is the first
election in 26 years, and I found it highly unlikely that a Latino or
African would be elected, despite the fact that the Church is growing
fast in Latin America and Africa while it is shrinking in North America
and Europe. I think it's sad that Catholicism can't change with the
times, not doctrinally but in the good ole European boy network, and it
might be the death of the Church eventually.

So even though they probably looked at who best to do the job they should have cast
that notion away and been more 'PC'? At least in your eyes?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

David April 19th 05 06:59 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:57:48 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

Check out the demon on the Pope's stick:

http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/n1359.cfm

Invader3K April 19th 05 07:20 PM

Demon? That's Jesus Christ on the crucifix, you moron. And no, I'm not
Catholic.

John S. April 19th 05 08:02 PM

I think that choosing a Pope from South or Central America would have
helped the church in more than one way.

First it would signal to the world that the church is not as closed to
something as radical as a non-european pope. Seems kind of strange to
characterize such a change a radical when other religions include
females as a matter of course.

Second, it would have helped the church with membership in Brazil and
other south american countries where membership has been lost to more
open non-catholic religions.

bpnjensen April 19th 05 08:11 PM

Frankly, as a person who does not approve of the stodginess of the
Catholic Church anyway, I am happy to see it do anything to itself that
will alienate people. There are other effective ways to approach God
and Christianity, and they don't necessarily involve living in poverty
while the Vatican hoardes massive funds and begs adherents to keep that
cycle of poverty and pain going by pumping out endless children.

Jean-Paul was a kind man; the new Pope may be likewise - but their
ancient and artificial (and largely hypocritical) ways do not mesh well
with the realities of 2005's wider world. I say, let the Church
collapse on itself.

Bruce Jensen