Old April 30th 05, 08:28 PM
uncle arnie

Default CBC/RCI: A Bush crony appointed ambassador

David Wilkins was interviewed on CBC/RCI show "As it Happens". He doesn't
know anything about the country he has been appointed ambassador to.
Nothing. He deflected all questions about Canada, apparently b/c his
qualification for the job is that he is about as informed as the appointer.
He knows no geography, no idea of the national anthem, let alone being
smart enough to turn down an interview until he gets briefed. Those with
low expectations for an appointee could not have imagined such an idiot in
their wildest dreams.

Oh, and it is important to you if you're an American. Wilkins doesn't know
why. Do you?
Old April 30th 05, 08:38 PM
Telamon

In article ,
uncle arnie wrote:

David Wilkins was interviewed on CBC/RCI show "As it Happens". He doesn't
know anything about the country he has been appointed ambassador to.
Nothing. He deflected all questions about Canada, apparently b/c his
qualification for the job is that he is about as informed as the appointer.
He knows no geography, no idea of the national anthem, let alone being
smart enough to turn down an interview until he gets briefed. Those with
low expectations for an appointee could not have imagined such an idiot in
their wildest dreams.

Oh, and it is important to you if you're an American. Wilkins doesn't know
why. Do you?

So the way it works here in the US is that ordinary people run for
office or are appointed in this case to an office in the government as
opposed to having a ruling elite. I have an imported body builder for my
governor for instance. Hopefully Wilkins will do well after some on the
job training.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 30th 05, 08:57 PM
Les

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
uncle arnie wrote:

[...]

One would think that no OJT is required for an high level government
post. I had to validate that my training and job experience was enough
to qualify me for a high level craftsman post with the government.

This is part of the dumbing down process of America and the current
administration.

Les

Old April 30th 05, 09:33 PM
dxAce

uncle arnie wrote:

David Wilkins was interviewed on CBC/RCI show "As it Happens". He doesn't
know anything about the country he has been appointed ambassador to.
Nothing. He deflected all questions about Canada, apparently b/c his
qualification for the job is that he is about as informed as the appointer.
He knows no geography, no idea of the national anthem, let alone being
smart enough to turn down an interview until he gets briefed. Those with
low expectations for an appointee could not have imagined such an idiot in
their wildest dreams.

Oh, and it is important to you if you're an American. Wilkins doesn't know
why. Do you?

What's to know? The guy is just coming to represent the USA, not to kiss ass.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 30th 05, 09:43 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

uncle arnie wrote:

David Wilkins was interviewed on CBC/RCI show "As it Happens". He doesn't
know anything about the country he has been appointed ambassador to.
Nothing. He deflected all questions about Canada, apparently b/c his
qualification for the job is that he is about as informed as the appointer.
He knows no geography, no idea of the national anthem, let alone being
smart enough to turn down an interview until he gets briefed. Those with
low expectations for an appointee could not have imagined such an idiot in
their wildest dreams.

Oh, and it is important to you if you're an American. Wilkins doesn't know
why. Do you?

What's to know? The guy is just coming to represent the USA, not to kiss ass.

But, if there is something he needs to know, it can be found he

http://www.negativepositive.org/****-canada.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 30th 05, 09:59 PM
wolly wig-wag

Never heard of him and couldn't care less.......

(the only thing I know about Canada is what was
told to me on Southpark... grin!)

Old April 30th 05, 10:06 PM
RHF

UA,
Old April 30th 05, 11:01 PM
RHF

AE,
Old May 1st 05, 04:15 AM
running dogg

uncle arnie wrote:

David Wilkins was interviewed on CBC/RCI show "As it Happens". He doesn't
know anything about the country he has been appointed ambassador to.
Nothing. He deflected all questions about Canada, apparently b/c his
qualification for the job is that he is about as informed as the appointer.
He knows no geography, no idea of the national anthem, let alone being
smart enough to turn down an interview until he gets briefed. Those with
low expectations for an appointee could not have imagined such an idiot in
their wildest dreams.

Oh, and it is important to you if you're an American. Wilkins doesn't know
why. Do you?

Ambassadors for the US are political appointees, meaning for the most
part people that the President owes a favor to (or their families or
companies). They are NOT career diplomats with extensive knowledge of
their host countries. Canada may have higher standards. But most US
ambassadors don't know the language of their host countries, much less
any of the country's vital stats. Wilkins got an easy
assignment-Canadian English is pretty close to American English, except
Canadians use British spelling. It may be fun for the Canadians to put
Wilkins on the hot seat and laugh at him for being an idiot, but he is
the rule rather than the exception. Ambassadors for the US are Pretty
Faces, meant to look good and take all the credit for the grunt work of
lower level staffers, the people who know everything about the country
and advise the guy at the top. This is also common within the US-the
politicians are bloviators who posture while the lower level guys keep
the country running but get none of the credit. Hell, America even had a
president with early stage Alzheimer's serve for eight years, and he was
incredibly popular and remains so even after his death. Reagan faced
down the Soviet Union and got the economy going again after a decade of
stagnation, yet he couldn't remember the names of his cabinet
secretaries. As for the seat's current occupant, he has been affected by
heavy alcohol and cocaine use, has suffered a number of mini strokes,
and wears a defibulator (sp?) in case his heart quits without warning,
yet the country still functions. Would you rather have a dictatorship on
your border where a fatal heart attack means all out civil war?

Old May 1st 05, 04:40 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

uncle arnie wrote in
:

I wonder if he knows how to say Quebec?

Originally pronounced qwa beck, or (long A) Ka Beck, it has now morphed
into (short I) Ki beck (as in kite). Amazing how a word can change over
10 years or so.

Anyone worth their muster MUST say (short I) Ki beck, it's infested the
American sportscasters as well. I can't even listen to the Canadian news
shows, since they also have shed ules (schedules), yet their kids go to
school, said as we say it, they don't go to shoe ools.

I once heard that Canadians in general try to be more British than the
British, and the Quebecers try to be more French than the French.

Though they desire to remain neutral in world politics, I thought it
ironic that they didn't want any missile defense to include Canada as
well. This will force the U.S. to protect the northern U.S. borders. I
wonder where the debris would land?

It's a shame when China outstrips Canada concerning the Space Program as
well. Q.V. http://space.about.com/b/a/118894.htm

"Saskatchewan Town Prepares For Launch of Canadian Rocket
CBC News reports that the da Vinci project aims to send the first
Canadian rocket into space, launching from Kindersley, Sask.

The Toronto-based da Vinci team had planned to enter the X Prize contest,
a private space race, with a launch from the Kindersley airport on Oct.
2. The launch was put on hold indefinitely, however, because an important
part of the spacecraft hadn't arrived."

I like Canada, I just don't like condescending Canadians.

Dr. Artaud

http://www.bartleby.com/61/30/Q0023000.html

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ebec&x=10&y=17