Old May 15th 05, 12:56 PM
The Axelrods

Default World Radio Handbook 3rd Edition (1948) on eBay

Yes saw it...totally nuts. I have a collection from 1972 to 2005 but never
put out that kinda money

Shawn

wrote in message
oups.com...
Did anyone catch this auction? I once ran up a 1980 edition to over
$50 (and still lost), but this one takes the cake!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ageName=WDVW50

Old May 15th 05, 01:02 PM
dxAce

The Axelrods wrote:

Yes saw it...totally nuts. I have a collection from 1972 to 2005 but never
put out that kinda money

The early ones are kinda scarce, in most any condition.

I still have my first one, the 1967 edition, and a friend has the 1966.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old May 16th 05, 01:49 AM
mydigcam

Ridiculous. Looks like the winning bidder lives in France. Doesn't seem to
be a deadbeat, but I bet they made a mistake or something and will try to
get out of this one. If they're really serious I've got a 1948 ARRL handbook
I'd sell for that amount and it's quite a bit thicker, so what a deal! I'd
only be making a modest $753 profit on the sale... ;-)

Old May 16th 05, 04:41 AM
running dogg

mydigcam wrote:

Ridiculous. Looks like the winning bidder lives in France. Doesn't seem to
be a deadbeat, but I bet they made a mistake or something and will try to
get out of this one. If they're really serious I've got a 1948 ARRL handbook
I'd sell for that amount and it's quite a bit thicker, so what a deal! I'd
only be making a modest $753 profit on the sale... ;-)

America, what a country! -Yakov Smirnoff

I noticed that the back cover is an ad for a Hallicrafters SX-62, 540 kc
to 110 Mc, for $289.50. That was a LOT of money back then, the monthly
payment on a brand new house in LA was about $150. I wonder what $300 in
1948 would be today. Probably $3,000, making this Halli about in the
price range of a rack mount professional HF radio such as a Watkins
Johnson. What does this radio go for on ebay?

Also talking about ridiculous prices, $754 for a 1948 WRTH DOES seem a
little high. I've got a 1986 WRTH, I wonder what I could get for it?
ebay isn't a place for bargains, it's a place where mysterious
billionaires come out of the woodwork and bid up stuff to obscene
levels, like $7000 for a 1938 Zenith in terrible condition.

Old May 16th 05, 06:55 AM
dxAce

mydigcam wrote:

Ridiculous. Looks like the winning bidder lives in France. Doesn't seem to
be a deadbeat, but I bet they made a mistake or something and will try to
get out of this one. If they're really serious I've got a 1948 ARRL handbook
I'd sell for that amount and it's quite a bit thicker, so what a deal! I'd
only be making a modest $753 profit on the sale... ;-)

I just looked at an ad on rec.radio.swap and a fellow has a lot of ARRL
Handbooks for sale. He's asking $25 for the 1948 edition in excellent condition.

I've my fathers 1953 edition here, not in the best shape but still serviceable.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 16th 05, 04:02 PM
John S.

For an out of date listing of stations and frequencies?

Old May 17th 05, 01:25 AM

That SX-62 in the ad would cost $2395.00 in 2005 dollars.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

I double-checked the figure on another inflation calculator.

Registered Monitor BR549
The Shack on the Bayou- http://www.ghg.net/cliffwatts/

Drake R8, Sony ICF-SW100, Heathkit GR-64 (retired)
Realistic Pro-2006, Bearcat BC-245XLT

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
193 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (01-APR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 2 April 3rd 04 06:54 AM