Old May 18th 05, 04:53 AM
Namikis

Yep, buying on eBay is not for the faint of heart. There is no guarantee
that the players will stick by Queensbury rules. Get over it and move on
to the next auction.
"Lucky" wrote in message
Hi guys.

I just wanted your opinions on this matter.
When I bid on items on Ebay, I usually stay away from auctions that "ship
worldwide". The reason for that is I found that many sellers don't ship
overseas. So, when there is an auction for a much wanted item, it usually
bids up very high. The reason being there are so many more bidders from
around the world instead of just the U.S.

OK, I see an item I want to bid on. It says more then 3 times in big
letters, "ships to U.S. ONLY" And yes it said just that. "To US only". OK
I bid on the item. At the very end a new bidder jumps in. He wins the
auction of course since his bid is $10 more then mine.

I then check him out and see he is a bidder from Japan. I figure this guy
didn't follow the rules of the auction or asked permission to do so. I
then write the seller asking her if she knew the winner was from Japan.
She wrote back saying "No, I didn't know that. Thanks for alerting me to
this. Plus, he hasn't even payed me yet".

I tell her listen, he broke the rules. I told her I would pay his winning
bid of $10 more so you would not lose anything and this foreign bidder can
easily be disqualified since he didn't respect the instructions in the ad.
She said she would get back to me.

Well, she never got back to me and now I see she left this guy positive
feedback already. Was this right? I mean I bid on the item since there was
no "ships worldwide" and the seller admitted to me she didn't know he was
a overseas bidder but sold to him anyway.

Do I have any type of recourse on this?
It just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks for any replies
Lucky

Old May 18th 05, 11:38 AM
dxAce

Lucky wrote:

"patgkz" wrote in message
Would it matter that the bidder is overseas or is it just the fact that
you were out-and-out just plain-old OUTBID?

Place a higher bid next time and you'll have a better chance of getting
the item, no matter who is bidding against you. That's how eBay works.

"Lucky" wrote in message
[...]

No that's not the real reason I'm mad. You see, it wouldn't have bid up that
high but these collectors from Japan are willing to pay crazy prices for
certain radios. If I saw that the auction was for overseas bidders too, I
would have passed on it right from the start cause I knew what happened
would happen and it did.

I did bid pretty high too. But yes, of course I'm ****ed I didn't win it but
would have if she kept the auction the way it was represented and followed
her contract. And the next time I see an auction that says US ONLY I will
ask the seller if they will stick to that before I bid.

It's always a blast to watch the antics of the mentally ill/retarded.

You lost the auction because you didn't bid high enough 'tard, not because the
seller didn't follow some particular 'contract' as obviously defined by you, the
sorry ass loser.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 18th 05, 09:35 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Lucky wrote:

Exactly. Perhaps I should have filled everyone on the important details of
this auction and why I'm so ****ed and why it's not just sour grapes. The
auction was for a Lowe HF-150 Europa radio. Here is my last experience with
a foreign Japanese buyer for a Lowe 150 Europa.

As you can see it went for $880 from a Japanese collector. You will also
notice I didn't bid on it cause the seller shipped worldwide. This is the
auction where the guy canceled his original auction and relisted it. But
this time he started the bidding at $595 where in the first it was a Buy it
Now for $597.

Sounds like a smart seller, he evidently made more by relisting it. So
why didn't you buy it the first time at the BIN price? Oh, you were
hoping to low ball it for a cheaper price.

This is not the first time I've seen Japanese and foreign buyers paying way
over what they usually go for and blowing away other buyers.

And the problem with that is? Other than it means you don't get the item.

People from
overseas seem to be always willing to buy at very high prices since most
Ebayers won't ship out of the country. So, I always stay away from worldwide
auctions unless it's a little item like Brenda Ann mentioned. Plus these
foreign bidders money is worth more then our US dollar so they can pay more
too.

That's life, deal with it. So what you really want is for no foreing
bidders to bid against you so you can have your item. Auctions don't
work that way in case you haven't noticed.

When I finally found another Europa auction, and I saw it was "Ships to US
ONLY" more then 3 times, I jumped on it.
This is what I've been waiting months for.

So, when I lost the auction of course I was disappointed and sad as any of
us would be for this radio. Then, when I saw the winner was a foreign
Japanese overseas buyer, I couldn't believe it. Yes, it made me100 times
more mad to see this happen.

Why? The Japanese buyer won it fair and square. So you don't want any
Japanese bidding against you because they seem to be willing to pay more
than you are.

The radio would have been mine if that overseas
buyer wasn't allowed to bid since the seller mentioned TO US ONLY in BIG
print. So I was sure this seller wouldn't accept a foreign bidder.

So now you want sellers who have an item you want to disallow any
overseas buyers so you can maybe win the auction. Again, you don't seem
to understand how an auction works. eBay is world wide and no seller is
obligated to disallow certain bidders just for your benefit. You really
need to get a clue. Maybe the Jap buyer had it shipped to a friend in
the U.S. who then shipped it to him. Again, the seller can do whatever
they wish about shipping and they don't have to take your feelings into
consideration at all.

Then on top of that, when I asked the seller about her auction and the
Japanese winner, she thanked me for "alerting" her to this and would get
back to me. I even offered her the winning bidders price so she would not
have lost anything. Not a cent. But she never got back to me with any sort
of explanation.

And she didn't owe you any explaination.

I hope some of you can see why this particular auction annoyed the hell out
of me. Yes, the sour grapes on my part are far more reaching then if it was
a US American buyer. He would have won fair and square.

Just like the Jap guy won fair and square, and the fact that the seller
decided to allow his winning bid and ship to Japan is her perogrative
and none of your business. She can do what she damn well pleases with
her auction.

Sour grapes, you're just hacked because some foreign bidders will pay
more than you will. Get over it, and if the auction game is too tough
for you because sellers won't accomadate you just so you can win, then
you need to find a different venu to obtain your items.
Want some cheese with that whine?
Old May 18th 05, 09:42 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Pete KE9OA wrote:
I am not talking about losing the auction............I am talking about the
way that she said she would get back to him, and didn't.

So you have *never* in your life told someone you would get back to them
and didn't I suppose.
Old May 18th 05, 09:43 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

dxAce wrote:

Pete KE9OA wrote:

I am not talking about losing the auction............I am talking about the
way that she said she would get back to him, and didn't.

At that juncture she had no responsibility to get back to him whatsoever. He
lost the auction...

In reality, he was trying to alter or defeat the auction process by making
another offer after another individual won the auction.

Which is against ebay rules.

Old May 18th 05, 10:19 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Pete KE9OA wrote:

I am not talking about losing the auction............I am talking about the
way that she said she would get back to him, and didn't.

At that juncture she had no responsibility to get back to him whatsoever. He
lost the auction...

In reality, he was trying to alter or defeat the auction process by making
another offer after another individual won the auction.

As an addendum, what she was probably trying to say when she said she'd get back
to him was that she'd get back to him if circumstances with the winning bidder
change.

Another no-brainer.

dace
Michigan
USA

dxAce
Michigan
USA

It would have been
better if she had said "look, you lost the auction, and that's how it is".
I don't have respect for blow-off artists. Actually, I don't care for eBay,
unless I can deal with the seller face to face.
For this reason, I only bid on things that are in the Chicago area. It does
limit my options, but if I want to buy a currently available item, I just
buy it new. None of this "works perfectly, but as with all electronic
equipment, sold as is" bit.
If I really want something bad enough, I enter a very high bid. If I come
out high bidder, good........if not, oh well.

Pete

"dxAce" wrote in message

Pete KE9OA wrote:

Hi Lucky,

I understand how you feel. The worst thing is that the seller told you
that
she would get back to you, and didn't.
As far as this model receiver, more of them will show up.
On a good note, there is a high probability that this receiver has a
blown
1st mixer, and not too many people know how to repair this
receiver...............that is, if they can even find the SL-6440 mixer.
Out of 5 of these receivers that came up for sale in the last year, I
either
ended up repairing them, or sending an SL-6440 to people that needed to
repair the receivers themselves.
People don't generally sell them unless they are broken.............this
isn't always, but in my limited experience, it seems to be the rule
rather
than the exception.
Of course, the seller has the choice to be a blow-off artist if she so
chooses, but would you really want to buy from that kind of person? It
makes
me wonder if the radio was any good to begin with.
Who is the seller? I will make sure that I avoid that person in the
future.

Why?... he lost the auction... plain and simple... I can't see how or why
he, or
anyone else doesn't understand that.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 18th 05, 11:02 PM

"Lucky" wrote in message
[...]

Get used to it. You aren't really thinking the oil that comes
out of ANWR will be sold only in the US at lower than world prices,
are you? When China holds a fistful of dollars, all that oil that came
from once-public property owned by US taxplayes will be dealt out to
the highest bidder and we'll never see a drop of it. eBay is just the
tiniest reflection of what's going on.

I did bid pretty high too. But yes, of course I'm ****ed I didn't win it but
would have if she kept the auction the way it was represented and followed
her contract. And the next time I see an auction that says US ONLY I will
ask the seller if they will stick to that before I bid.

Thanks for the reply
Lucky

Old May 18th 05, 11:11 PM
Dave Stadt

"Lucky" wrote in message

"m II" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:

I did bid pretty high too. But yes, of course I'm ****ed I didn't win

it
but would have if she kept the auction the way it was represented and
followed her contract. And the next time I see an auction that says US
ONLY I will ask the seller if they will stick to that before I bid.

Good thinking. It's still a sad state of affairs when you have to ask if
someone will stick to the terms they themselves set. Mind you, this
situation can work to your benefit, too. I've told some 'US only'

sellers
that if they would ship to Canada, I'd bid on the item. Out of the three
times I asked, Two said ok. The third said the paper work was too much.

He
was a high volume seller with his hands full as it was. I could see his
point.

mike

Exactly. Perhaps I should have filled everyone on the important details of
this auction and why I'm so ****ed and why it's not just sour grapes. The
auction was for a Lowe HF-150 Europa radio. Here is my last experience

with
a foreign Japanese buyer for a Lowe 150 Europa.

As you can see it went for $880 from a Japanese collector. You will also
notice I didn't bid on it cause the seller shipped worldwide. This is the
auction where the guy canceled his original auction and relisted it. But
this time he started the bidding at $595 where in the first it was a Buy

it
Now for $597.

This is not the first time I've seen Japanese and foreign buyers paying

way
over what they usually go for and blowing away other buyers. People from
overseas seem to be always willing to buy at very high prices since most
Ebayers won't ship out of the country. So, I always stay away from

worldwide
auctions unless it's a little item like Brenda Ann mentioned. Plus these
foreign bidders money is worth more then our US dollar so they can pay

more
too.

When I finally found another Europa auction, and I saw it was "Ships to US
ONLY" more then 3 times, I jumped on it.
This is what I've been waiting months for.

So, when I lost the auction of course I was disappointed and sad as any of
us would be for this radio. Then, when I saw the winner was a foreign
Japanese overseas buyer, I couldn't believe it. Yes, it made me100 times
more mad to see this happen. The radio would have been mine if that

overseas
buyer wasn't allowed to bid since the seller mentioned TO US ONLY in BIG
print. So I was sure this seller wouldn't accept a foreign bidder.

You have yet to answer the question that has been asked numerous
times.......how do you know the radio was shipped outside the US? The
bidder being from Japan doesn't mean diddly squat.

Old May 18th 05, 11:19 PM
dxAce

Dave Stadt wrote:

Lucky wrote:

[...]

Correct. I've dealt with numerous folks who had another individual here in the
USA to ship items to.

I've also in the past acted as an intermediary for an individual to be able to
purchase items here and then have them shipped overseas.

Once again, he lost the item because he was unwilling to bid high enough.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 19th 05, 12:35 AM
Tipo

You lot need to chill out.wtf has all this oneupmanship got to do with
shortwave listening.