Old May 20th 05, 05:39 PM
Karl

Default DX-398 - dead channel on headphone jack.

Anyone else had this problem? I'd like advice on which parts to check - I
don't have a schematic. Thanks.

Old May 20th 05, 06:09 PM
dxAce

Karl wrote:

Anyone else had this problem? I'd like advice on which parts to check - I
don't have a schematic. Thanks.

I'd start on the jack itself.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 20th 05, 06:26 PM
DesignGuy

"Karl" wrote in message
Anyone else had this problem? I'd like advice on which parts to check - I
don't have a schematic. Thanks.

Probably either the jack itself is bad, or has a broken solder joint on the
circuit board.

Old May 20th 05, 07:59 PM
Jim Hackett

May be a dumb question BUT did you try nother pairof headphones?

Old May 20th 05, 09:02 PM
Karl

First thing. Also I have removed and checked the jack, it's ok, and there
seem to be no visual anomolies with traces or components. I need a
schematic.

Thanks for the replies.

ink.net...

Old May 20th 05, 11:00 PM
M. J. Powell

In message tnrje.50265$yV4.992@okepread03, Karl
writes
First thing. Also I have removed and checked the jack, it's ok, and there
seem to be no visual anomolies with traces or components. I need a
schematic.

Most useful audio checker is a pair of headphones wired to a probe with
a 0.01yF in series on one wire and a croc clip on the other. You can
poke around looking for audio to your heart's content. Just wire up a
phone jack to plug into to avoid tieing up your phones.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old May 21st 05, 01:34 AM
Howard

On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:02:53 -0500, "Karl" wrote:

First thing. Also I have removed and checked the jack, it's ok, and there
seem to be no visual anomolies with traces or components. I need a
schematic.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll suggest as has been mentioned: open up the radio and inspect the
headphone jack first, look at the contacts and make sure there is
proper fit then check the connections to the board. You may be able
to solve the problem with no test equipment and no schematic.

link.net...

Old May 21st 05, 05:16 AM

In: froje.50143$yV4.42374@okepread03, "Karl" wrote:
Anyone else had this problem? I'd like advice on which parts to check - I
don't have a schematic. Thanks.

Dead _channel_ ?

Assuming it's a channel (one side works, other side doesn't)..

Check the FM-Mono/FM-Stereo switch or the volume pot. Since one side
works, it could something to do with the amp. (Do both sides
work with AM?)

I see from the photo it uses a regular pot, (good) a lot
of the slide pots are really crummy IMO. I've seen sliders
go out on a lot of radios.

Anyhow check the volume pot. Failing that, anything mechanical in
nature, THEN worry about the electronics.

Jamie
(rot13) User Management Solutions